Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update Thread..Please Share An Update
Heidi 03:02 PM 05-13-2014
So, we all post here from time to time about a problem kiddo. You know, the infant who cries constantly, the two year old who is aggressive. Then, we do what we do, and if it gets better, we never share. So, I thought it would be nice to share some success stories.

Here's mine:

My 10 mo dcb started here when he was 6 weeks old. He was just very intense, and mom, who is a good friend, seemed to do everything the opposite from me.

He is now almost 11 months old, and since he started being mobile at 6 months, he is a happy camper 95% of the time. He still has his moments when he wants things "his way", but most of the time, he's a cool dude.

I just kept doing what I do, insisted on routines, communicated to mom but didn't expect change, and we had some rough Mondays. It CAN be done!

Here is the original thread as evidence: https://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67417 lol
ihop 03:12 PM 05-13-2014
My 2yo dcg doesn't have fleas at home anymore which is funny because mom didn't seem to mind them too much until she dozed off on the couch and woke up to dead fleas in her water cup. Never mind the fact that her toddler was covered head to toe in bites for a month and is now covered in bite scars from scratching. Not enough incentive apparently. I digress. But its an update.

Oh and my coslept 6 month old dcb is now 14 months and still wakes a dozen times a night and cries until someone comes to get him but I sleep trained and he is heading towards hour three of nap right now
TwinKristi 03:28 PM 05-13-2014
Well I could update on my DCB with suspected Celiac's or at the very least an intolerance wheat. We have been doing gluten free since I mentioned it to DCM but his Nana still tries to sneak him foods he shouldn't have. So now that his diapers are more normal than not, when he has an explosive poppy diaper I know there's been gluten fed to him and I send him home for diarrhea. DCM actually took him to the dr today and he agrees that he has what sounds like a gluten allergy and if the GF diet is helping than keep it up. He's going to see another dr that I recommended once his insurance gets figured out. He's talking a lot more and seems to be making progress in his areas of delay despite ending services with his 3 therapists.
Tdhmom 04:47 PM 05-13-2014
Well the 5 year old twins (boy and girl) that I post about pretty regularly have only 3 days left with me!!!!!!! To say I am beyond ready is an understatement...
Although I can see many positive changes since they've been with me, it still isn't enough for me to keep them
The dcg pottied her pants THREE days last week...yes she's 5! Her wonderful (insert sarcastic tone) brother still looks over his shoulder if I'm around before he does something he isn't supposed to do. And talks....nonstop! Still questions and tries to correct most of what I say.
I'm just beyond burnt out at the moment. I've had them since August (so I did stick it out) but at the cost of my sanity
Only 3 more days, only 3 more days, only 3 more days
Sunchimes 05:39 PM 05-13-2014
Eight months ago I signed up an 11 month old. He had a stroke at birth and wasn't crawling yet. He didn't use his left hand at all, and in fact wouldn't let you touch it. At 18 months, after hours of crawling around the floor showing him how to crawl, massaging his hand, doing various therapies and massages, he not only crawls but walks, runs, climbs, and this week started jumping. He eats mostly with a spoon, and more often than we hoped, he uses his left hand interchangeably. I don't take full credit, he has great therapists and parents. Now, if we can just stop the hitting, pinching, hair pulling, and biting.

Potty training resistant 3yo is fully trained and hasn't had an out-of-control rage in weeks.

Possibly autistic 2yo has said a few words, hugged me, gave me an unsolicited kiss, and is the love of my life. Two steps forward, one (sometimes 3) steps back.
NightOwl 05:48 PM 05-13-2014
I don't think I ever shared the final result of the little sign I ordered! It's not exactly what I wanted, but I'm happy with it.
Attached: fbd6c15b91e52b3be1da83754c9b934a.jpg (20.6 KB) 
Unregistered 05:49 PM 05-13-2014
I posted about a dcf who terminated me, then claimed that I terminated them so that they didn't owe me any more money.
They are gone
That is all.
That is good enough for me.
It is such a relief

How does that credit card ad go?
Dollar value of time I spent waiting for them to drop off or pick up: $500
DCF late fees over a one year period: $900
Getting them gone: PRICELESS
Annalee 05:59 PM 05-13-2014
I had a child enter my program at 6 weeks old. From birth, it seemed she had a strong-willed, high-strung temperament. At about 7/8 months, the temper tantrums started not really toward others, but she would get angry and just scream loudly. I took a foldable 2-inch mat and covered with a baby bed sheet and put a pillow with blanket along with a box full of soft items. The items had to be soft because she would throw them. The box had music, books, puzzle, blocks, pics of children with all kinds of facial expressions, and mirror all soft. I placed the mat beside a couch and the wall where she had an entrance in and out. She is sitting up at this point. When she would start screaming, I would place her in her own cozy corner. If she come out to play and was NOT screaming I left her alone, but if the screaming persisted, I would put her back. She is now two and goes to this place on her own when she get frustrated, but NO screaming....She will dive in there sometimes and ALWAYS comes out smiling. She has learned to self-regulate her emotions. If I had not had her older sibling, I might have termed her, but I really liked this family and they made their own cozy corner for the little girl at home as did the grandmother. This child and family helped me to believe in myself and my practices. No matter how chaotic my day may become, I can look at this child and feel I did at least one thing right!
Heidi 06:16 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I had a child enter my program at 6 weeks old. From birth, it seemed she had a strong-willed, high-strung temperament. At about 7/8 months, the temper tantrums started not really toward others, but she would get angry and just scream loudly. I took a foldable 2-inch mat and covered with a baby bed sheet and put a pillow with blanket along with a box full of soft items. The items had to be soft because she would throw them. The box had music, books, puzzle, blocks, pics of children with all kinds of facial expressions, and mirror all soft. I placed the mat beside a couch and the wall where she had an entrance in and out. She is sitting up at this point. When she would start screaming, I would place her in her own cozy corner. If she come out to play and was NOT screaming I left her alone, but if the screaming persisted, I would put her back. She is now two and goes to this place on her own when she get frustrated, but NO screaming....She will dive in there sometimes and ALWAYS comes out smiling. She has learned to self-regulate her emotions. If I had not had her older sibling, I might have termed her, but I really liked this family and they made their own cozy corner for the little girl at home as did the grandmother. This child and family helped me to believe in myself and my practices. No matter how chaotic my day may become, I can look at this child and feel I did at least one thing right!
Awesome!

Can I ask, do any of the other kids go in there, either on their own or when she's there? If not, did you just teach them that it's HER place?
Annalee 06:27 PM 05-13-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Awesome!

Can I ask, do any of the other kids go in there, either on their own or when she's there? If not, did you just teach them that it's HER place?
I have a cozy cube with activities to be used by one or two kids at a time throughout the day, but this specific cozy place is just for the little girl. I told the kids this was xxxx's cozy place and they have cooperated with that.
MCC 06:47 PM 05-13-2014
Back in the fall I posted numerous times about a cousin group I had here. From day one we dealt with payment issues, DCMs were putting the babies to sleep on their stomachs with blankets, so they were not sleeping here, they were putting prune juice in bottles, so they wouldn't take a regular bottle of breast milk here. Both babies were incredibly needy and always wanted to be held.

Cousin family #1 is still here, we worked out all of our problems, and they completely understand my business and the way I work. They are so sweet, are constantly referring families to me, and always sharing my facebook page with their friends. The baby is now 11 months old, she is a great sleeper, great eater. She is so incredibly sweet and gentle, just started walking and talking, I absolutely love her.

Cousin family #2- termed in February, after I offered them another copy of my policies b/c they couldn't seem to figure out when payments were due.
Chellieleanne 08:04 PM 05-13-2014
The one kid I have full time... When he first started in October.... Well let's say I was close to giving up after a week. In the first two months, he bit my oldest son 3 times and I told mom I would be done if it happened again(in a nicer way of course). Now he is getting a lot better at controlling his anger (not hitting as a first resort, resorts to screaming instead)but still has some days where he can't react verbally to a situation he is upset with. I found that the more outside time he gets, the better day he has though so we spend a lot of time outside and the kids love it. Now he will be moving by september(around the time I am due) so I am a little sad but the same time relieved as I won't have to handle him plus a newborn.
Jack Sprat 11:50 AM 05-14-2014
Our twin cousins who I had so much trouble with are doing great! They seemed to have turned a corner. We still have some minor issues but, nothing like before.
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:02 PM 05-14-2014
I have asked for advice in the past about one of my sibling sets. We had potty issues and non-napping issues, all stemming from the latest trend of 12-hour-overnights that many parents seem to favor these days (forcing the kids to stay in bed from 6:30pm-6:30am). These 2 kids are just 2 of the most badly adjusted kids I've ever encountered.

They gave me a 2-week notice on Monday!!! Seems I wasn't their 1st choice all along, although I always sensed it. Champagne (center) taste, beer (home daycare) budget! They finally got in at the on-base daycare where DCD works as a civilian. I have had both kids since birth, for almost 4 years! That is a long time to be on a waitlist! And, they are building a new house quite a distance from me, so they won't even live in my neighborhood anymore.

DCD broke the news. He was so nice and said so many lovely things. I hate having to fill two spots now, but I admit I've been walking on air since Monday!
cheerfuldom 01:05 PM 05-14-2014
I have been posting a lot about our playroom re-do and it is coming along nicely. will post pics soon!

I had several teachers kids here this year and it worked out beautifully (schedule wise) and next year I am going to teachers kids only.

I had a screamer baby as well and now at 12 months, he is manageable most days, a delight on some other days. Napping fairly well, eating well so hopefully we don't lose too much momentum when he goes part time this summer.

For current issues, I have a 16 month old that RUNS ever time I call his name and refuses to respond to instructions.....normal for the age but still frustrating. I have school agers home for the summer so they may be driving me crazy in a few weeks LOL and I have a preschooler I may have to term for scheduling issues so I am dreading that.....can't afford to term quite yet though and I know Dad will be rude about it....
Leigh 01:13 PM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have asked for advice in the past about one of my sibling sets. We had potty issues and non-napping issues, all stemming from the latest trend of 12-hour-overnights that many parents seem to favor these days (forcing the kids to stay in bed from 6:30pm-6:30am). These 2 kids are just 2 of the most badly adjusted kids I've ever encountered.

They gave me a 2-week notice on Monday!!! Seems I wasn't their 1st choice all along, although I always sensed it. Champagne (center) taste, beer (home daycare) budget! They finally got in at the on-base daycare where DCD works as a civilian. I have had both kids since birth, for almost 4 years! That is a long time to be on a waitlist! And, they are building a new house quite a distance from me, so they won't even live in my neighborhood anymore.

DCD broke the news. He was so nice and said so many lovely things. I hate having to fill two spots now, but I admit I've been walking on air since Monday!
Good for you! I quickly learned that asking about the child's sleep schedule at home is one of the most important questions I can ask at an interview. Seems you can always tell within 2 weeks which kids spend their lives at home in their crib.
e.j. 03:49 PM 05-14-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I don't think I ever shared the final result of the little sign I ordered! It's not exactly what I wanted, but I'm happy with it.
I like it! It's very eye-catching.

It's nice to see so many success stories!
Chellieleanne 02:01 PM 05-15-2014
Just wanted to add from my post the other day. The DCB I have, his mom changed her work schedule last week and I have noticed that he has been having less behavior issues than he was because of the increase in parent time. Then to add this week has been super easy, she called out of work Tuesday and for tomorrow, today was a late start and next week is going to be the same. So I am optimistic that he is going to be doing really well next week with so much mommy time. I know he needs it but he does love staying here, such a struggle for him to go home

Downside, she is taking two weeks off in August to job hunt and travel to where they are moving then a week sooner than I expected to complete the actual move oh well I will keep working on behavior and hope he has an easy transition when they move!
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 05-15-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
LOVE IT!!

It is very visually pleasing and super easy to read! Nice choice!
MarinaVanessa 07:52 AM 05-19-2014
I have an update.

It's not about a family or anything but i'm excited. Over time we've discussed QRIS programs and I've mentioned a few times about how I wanted to be a part of our pilot program but wasn't able to get in. Two years later of applying and I got a phone call letting me know I qualified!

I'm just waiting for the official letter and can't wait to start. We get a bunch of free training about FCCERS, CLASS, CA Learning Foundations/Frameworks (preschool), curriculum planning, behavior management catered to family child care and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember right now. I'm really looking forward to being rated and then getting incentives to raise my rate.

Best part of all is that one of my DCB that I drive to and pick up from our Jump Start preschool (similar to Head Start) has an amazing teacher that offered her help if I had any questions since they are already in the QRIS program. They just got their incentives and some other grants so they will be going through their toys and materials and replacing some and they offered to let me go through the one's they're getting rid of and letting me have my pick. My DH is not so happy about this part .
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I have an update.

It's not about a family or anything but i'm excited. Over time we've discussed QRIS programs and I've mentioned a few times about how I wanted to be a part of our pilot program but wasn't able to get in. Two years later of applying and I got a phone call letting me know I qualified!

I'm just waiting for the official letter and can't wait to start. We get a bunch of free training about FCCERS, CLASS, CA Learning Foundations/Frameworks (preschool), curriculum planning, behavior management catered to family child care and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't even remember right now. I'm really looking forward to being rated and then getting incentives to raise my rate.

Best part of all is that one of my DCB that I drive to and pick up from our Jump Start preschool (similar to Head Start) has an amazing teacher that offered her help if I had any questions since they are already in the QRIS program. They just got their incentives and some other grants so they will be going through their toys and materials and replacing some and they offered to let me go through the one's they're getting rid of and letting me have my pick. My DH is not so happy about this part .
Good for you MV!!

I "caved" () and decided to participate in my state's QRIS program too.

They have removed the connection between QRIS and the union here so I am more apt to want to participate now.

I completed the process...It took a year from beginning to end and am now just waiting for my rating to come in the mail. I am pretty sure I did well but don't want to say anything until I know for sure. Our certificates of ratings aren't being mailed until the end of May so...

I think you will like being involved. It definitely helps stay "up" on the early childhood happenings in your area and it's a great "seal of approval" to have when advertising etc.
Annalee 08:53 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Good for you MV!!

They have removed the connection between QRIS and the union here so I am more apt to want to participate now.

I completed the process...It took a year from beginning to end and am now just waiting for my rating to come in the mail. I am pretty sure I did well but don't want to say anything until I know for sure. Our certificates of ratings aren't being mailed until the end of May so...

I think you will like being involved. It definitely helps stay "up" on the early childhood happenings in your area and it's a great "seal of approval" to have when advertising etc.
Good luck to you! I just received my score for my 13th assessment...a 6.9 on a scale of 1-7...over 30 items are scored for us here as one part of our 5 component report card....I have ALWAYS scored well, But I have to say, I STILL HATE QRIS! Maybe if QRIS was voluntary and less on perception of the assessor, I might like it better, but not as a state-mandated law that feels like an interrogation!
MarinaVanessa 10:14 AM 05-19-2014
Good luck to you! I just received my score for my 13th assessment...a 6.9 on a scale of 1-7...over 30 items are scored for us here as one part of our 5 component report card....I have ALWAYS scored well, But I have to say, I STILL HATE QRIS! Maybe if QRIS was voluntary and less on perception of the assessor, I might like it better, but not as a state-mandated law that feels like an interrogation!
Ours is voluntary here and when it's out of the pilot stage and officially open to the whole state it will still be voluntary. I want to get the jump on the whole thing here. I feel like I need help with the curriculum part in FCC. I still haven't quite found my groove with the whole planning for each child thing and I'm not confident with child assessments especially with infants in the group.

I decided to only take 1 infant under 1yo from now on (I have 2 now) and take only 1 infant 1-2 years old if I can, if not at least space it so that one is at least 18 months. The other 3 can be 2 and up. It's the whole planning for infants, toddlers and preschoolers all at the same time that has me all jumbled up
MarinaVanessa 10:22 AM 05-19-2014
Good for you MV!!

I hope you did well. Ours has so many aspects of it it's hard to keep it all straight. I'm glad I went back to school to try to get my AA. That process will be long for me too considering that I can only take 1 class a semester and I now have gotten to the classes with the labs that are during the day . I'll have to get a sub to be able to complete future classes. If I hadn't at least started this I wouldn't be able to score higher than a 2 out of 5. Right now I can at least try for a 3.

Make sure to let us know how you did. I'm interested to know.
Annalee 10:25 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Ours is voluntary here and when it's out of the pilot stage and officially open to the whole state it will still be voluntary. I want to get the jump on the whole thing here. I feel like I need help with the curriculum part in FCC. I still haven't quite found my groove with the whole planning for each child thing and I'm not confident with child assessments especially with infants in the group.

I decided to only take 1 infant under 1yo from now on (I have 2 now) and take only 1 infant 1-2 years old if I can, if not at least space it so that one is at least 18 months. The other 3 can be 2 and up. It's the whole planning for infants, toddlers and preschoolers all at the same time that has me all jumbled up
"Voluntary" is what providers were told when we were going through the trainings, mock assessment with the anchors from FCCERS-R, then next thing providers knew it was written into "law". Like I said earlier, I was a promoter of it when it started mentoring others to "jump on board", but not anymore...Too many discrepancies, and non-consistent answers which makes appealing useless.....so tired of being told my score is high enough so disregard the negative comments on my report and take the good....tired of my report hanging in the balance of the perception of an assessor. I have been NAFCC accredited twice with unannounced observations and it did NOT make me feel degraded/demoralized like a state-mandated assessment. I guess I shouldn't be so negative, but, like I said, I REALLY tried in the beginning to embrace QRIS but I just can't anymore.
MarinaVanessa 10:29 AM 05-19-2014
"Voluntary" is what providers were told when we were going through the trainings, mock assessment with the anchors from FCCERS-R, then next thing providers knew it was written into "law". Like I said earlier, I was a promoter of it when it started mentoring others to "jump on board", but not anymore...Too many discrepancies, and non-consistent answers which makes appealing useless.....so tired of being told my score is high enough so disregard the negative comments on my report and take the good....tired of my report hanging in the balance of the perception of an assessor. I have been NAFCC accredited twice with unannounced observations and it did NOT make me feel degraded/demoralized like a state-mandated assessment. I guess I shouldn't be so negative, but, like I said, I REALLY tried in the beginning to embrace QRIS but I just can't anymore.
Ugh, that stinks! Our QRIS program has nothing to do with licensing. They're not even the same department. Ours is a part of the Department of Education so hopefully they don't try to back-paddle. I'm a firm believer in allowing people to have a choice, pretty much applies to every aspect of life for me.
Annalee 10:36 AM 05-19-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Ugh, that stinks! Our QRIS program has nothing to do with licensing. They're not even the same department. Ours is a part of the Department of Education so hopefully they don't try to back-paddle. I'm a firm believer in allowing people to have a choice, pretty much applies to every aspect of life for me.
We have licensing, assessment units, child care resource & referral , etc. in different departments but it is all under dept of human services. They have talked about combining with dept of education but not happened yet. Many departments have received funding cuts for the new fiscal year so am unsure what will happen with that. Maybe the QRIS in your state will be a positive venture....Here, providers feel violated, deceived, put on trial,....! It shouldn't be like that!
Blackcat31 10:49 AM 05-19-2014
We have licensing, assessment units, child care resource & referral , etc. in different departments but it is all under dept of human services. They have talked about combining with dept of education but not happened yet. Many departments have received funding cuts for the new fiscal year so am unsure what will happen with that. Maybe the QRIS in your state will be a positive venture....Here, providers feel violated, deceived, put on trial,....! It shouldn't be like that!
Our timeline was similar

First QRIS was a pilot program NOT affiliated with any of the local schools or the Dept of Ed.

Then QRIS became available in more and more counties but still not mandatory.

Then QRIS started working "closely" with the public schools to ensure school readiness.

Now QRIS partners FULLY with the schools to ensure that ALL children are getting the same curriculum.

I just got an e-mail the other day letting me know that I am now able to partner with the elementary school closest to me in a collaborative to work towards future academic success for all our area children.

Parents are now able to receive scholarships through different ECFE and other ECE entities to enroll in a QRIS participating program....

So while none of what has happened to you has full on happened here, I can see the direction they are moving and it appears to be similar.

I dont know how I feel about that yet, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Annalee 10:54 AM 05-19-2014
Our timeline was similar

First QRIS was a pilot program NOT affiliated with any of the local schools or the Dept of Ed.

Then QRIS became available in more and more counties but still not mandatory.

Then QRIS started working "closely" with the public schools to ensure school readiness.

Now QRIS partners FULLY with the schools to ensure that ALL children are getting the same curriculum.

I just got an e-mail the other day letting me know that I am now able to partner with the elementary school closest to me in a collaborative to work towards future academic success for all our area children.

Parents are now able to receive scholarships through different ECFE and other ECE entities to enroll in a QRIS participating program....

So while none of what has happened to you has full on happened here, I can see the direction they are moving and it appears to be similar.

I dont know how I feel about that yet, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.
We have a collaboration dvd circulating through the school systems/community here where family-group child care/school system are working together to promote school readiness as well. Some of my family/group provider friends are in the dvd...really cool project. It is on a different turn than assessment....I like that project....Assessment is my negative issue!!!
TaylorTots 11:17 AM 05-19-2014
Great idea!

I had an 8 month old DCG enroll who cried incessantly as mom and dad always held her. She was behind on her development as well. She is still a drama queen at 13m but functions perfectly. She never wanted to nap. She naps 2 hours in the afternoon with the big kids now. She eats normal table food and has been bottle-free for 2.5 months. DCM and DCD are much more on the same page as me now.

I had a 4 year old DCG who always argued and was playing with the dollhouse acting out scenes WAAAY older than her. She has been terminated.

I had an issue transitioning 12 month DCB to a once a day nap. He now naps once a day with the big kid and no longer screams bloody murder when I lay him down and when he wakes up early. He is still having agression issues at 15m (hitting and now biting).

My "overall" update - I am only taking two 3 year old girls PT this summer. A nice relaxing summer with my kiddos. The savings budget isn't ecstatic about it but my inner chi is thrilled.
Reply Up