Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Tell A Parent You Are Transitioning Their Kid To A Cot?
Unregistered 01:55 PM 11-20-2014
I am going to switch a 22 month old to a cot but his mom told me she wants him in a baby bed as long as possible. He screams in his pop and also throws his blanket out I'm done with his Joao time games he's going to a cot. If his mom says no what do I say to her?
Heidi 01:57 PM 11-20-2014
It's your program, not hers. Do what you want, and tell her proudly after he's accomplished it.

Parents do not dictate those things in my program and more than they dictate what and when I serve for lunch.
BrooklynM 02:02 PM 11-20-2014
I can't imagine why a parent would be upset for their child to be moved to a cot. Just tell her it is for safety- if they are throwing fits like that it is only a matter of time that they start trying to climb out.

I would think that the parents would be happy to move them to a cot because it means that the child can sleep in more than one environment...
taylorw1210 02:06 PM 11-20-2014
It's your program - you do what is best for your program and the child while he/she is in your program.

If the mother has a problem with it, tell her, "For Snowflake's safety, we transitioned to napping on a cot with the rest of the daycare kids. He/She was exhibiting signs of being ready. It's been going great and I'm so proud of him/her!"
Rockgirl 02:10 PM 11-20-2014
I wouldn't ask....I'd just do it.
Laurel 02:12 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:

Unregistered 02:54 PM 11-20-2014
Ok thanks for all your input. I can and will do this!
craftymissbeth 02:55 PM 11-20-2014
Absolutely. Although, in my state there's a regulation that says something about only moving a child out of a PNP or crib when both the provider AND parent agree that it's the best time to do so

With that said, I don't even mention it to parents
KIDZRMYBIZ 03:46 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I can't imagine why a parent would be upset for their child to be moved to a cot. Just tell her it is for safety- if they are throwing fits like that it is only a matter of time that they start trying to climb out.

I would think that the parents would be happy to move them to a cot because it means that the child can sleep in more than one environment...
The only time I had a parent balk at moving to a mat from pnp was because they thought it would cause difficulty for them at home-meaning dcg would no longer be as content jailed in the crib at home. Never mind their provider would have to retire early from blown elbows, shoulders, wrists, and back lifting their enormous child in and out of the pnp.
Cradle2crayons 04:16 PM 11-20-2014
I don't ask either... Nor do I even mention I'm doing it. My program. Mom can put him to sleep in whatever she wants to at HOME. Bit that has nothing to do with me or my program.
Annalee 04:20 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
It's your program, not hers. Do what you want, and tell her proudly after he's accomplished it.

Parents do not dictate those things in my program and more than they dictate what and when I serve for lunch.
Same here!
Leigh 04:52 PM 11-20-2014
I have never asked nor even told a parent. I just did it when the child was ready.
renodeb 12:09 PM 11-21-2014
I agree with others, just do it. That's what I have done here and no parent has ever complained. Inmost cases they are switched to a mat before they out grow there crib at home. Pack in plays are not very deep or long so they would outgrow that before they would there crib at home. Most all the parents that I have had are always amazed when there child goes to a mat and stays on it!
Deb
Unregistered 12:30 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have never asked nor even told a parent. I just did it when the child was ready.
I have always done the same. I move them when they are developmentally ready.

However, I would never feel comfortable lying to a daycare parent about it.

I would definitely try to inform them of why I am making the transition but I just wouldn't be ok with purposely lying to a parent. If a parent had issue with their child being moved to a mat, I would try to talk with them about it but if they didn't agree with me and still said no, then I would tell them I am not the right fit for them instead of just lying and doing whatever worked best for me.
I am surprised at the number of providers that advise other providers to with hold information or to outright lie to the parent about something as so many of these same providers complain and vent about parents that with hold and outright lie to them. Why is it okay to do what is best for you in your programs but it's not okay for parents to do what's best for them?
I understand that this kind of thing is something that directly affects your day but isn't that a two way street? Everything we do also affects the parents too in one way or another.
finsup 01:12 PM 11-21-2014
I don't tell them either...it just doesn't come up. They don't ask "where did so and so nap today?" So, I switch them when they're ready. They may not be ready to switch them at home yet and that's fine, we do things differently. If they ask "where did they nap?" I will tell them, and explain why if they ask (safety, outgrowing pnp, little babies need to use it more then big kids etc). But bottom line is, I decide how naps are handled are in my home. Just as they decide how naps are handled in their home.
Leigh 01:13 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have always done the same. I move them when they are developmentally ready.

However, I would never feel comfortable lying to a daycare parent about it.

I would definitely try to inform them of why I am making the transition but I just wouldn't be ok with purposely lying to a parent. If a parent had issue with their child being moved to a mat, I would try to talk with them about it but if they didn't agree with me and still said no, then I would tell them I am not the right fit for them instead of just lying and doing whatever worked best for me.
I am surprised at the number of providers that advise other providers to with hold information or to outright lie to the parent about something as so many of these same providers complain and vent about parents that with hold and outright lie to them. Why is it okay to do what is best for you in your programs but it's not okay for parents to do what's best for them?
I understand that this kind of thing is something that directly affects your day but isn't that a two way street? Everything we do also affects the parents too in one way or another.
I wouldn't consider it "withholding information"...I don't believe I have ever had a parent CARE where their child slept. They've never asked. In my interviews and in my handbook I state that children will be provided with a safe and appropriate place to sleep, either a crib, pack-n-play or cot. If ever a parent asked, I wouldn't lie to them about it, but they really don't appear to worry about it.
jenboo 01:15 PM 11-21-2014
are you licensed? We are required to move children by 18 months or if they exceed the height/weight requirements of the crib/pack and play.
I love using licensing as my backbone
Unregistered 01:56 PM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I wouldn't consider it "withholding information"...I don't believe I have ever had a parent CARE where their child slept. They've never asked. In my interviews and in my handbook I state that children will be provided with a safe and appropriate place to sleep, either a crib, pack-n-play or cot. If ever a parent asked, I wouldn't lie to them about it, but they really don't appear to worry about it.
I don't consider not discussing it with parents with holding information. I was referring to the situation the OP mentioned where a parent actually DID have issue with it.

When parents actually say anything about it, then it's definitely with holding information or outright lying depending on the situation.
lovemykidstoo 08:52 AM 11-22-2014
If a parent had a problem with it in my care, I would just revert to the licensing rules or just simply say that he/she does just fine here with it. There is no reason to lie about it. It's really not something that has come up in a conversation with any of my parents. As far as it being considered withholding? I think that's just an attempt by an unregistered person to poke. There is alot that goes on during the day that I don't report to the parent at the end of the day. Is that considered "withholding"?

Bottom line, run your program the way you see fit and don't bend for anyone. If they don't like it, tell them to hit the bricks!
Tags:transitioning - cot
Reply Up