Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default 3 Year Old "Boy Toys"

I have a 2.5 year old boy that's outgrown what I've got available to play with. He prefers to run up and down the hallway and will do it for hours.
we have 2 feet of snow outside.
He will watch tv but that's not the answer.
Any ideas on stimulating toys would be wonderful.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:15 AM

For that age here we have matchbox cars, dolls. Books, Legos, puzzles, Barbie dolls, play dough, dress up clothes, musical instruments, and crayons with blank paper.
I offer no tv or computer things. No battery toys of any kind. I also don't have gender specific categories. Here, girls play with trucks and boys play with barbies.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
For that age here we have matchbox cars, dolls. Books, Legos, puzzles, Barbie dolls, play dough, dress up clothes, musical instruments, and crayons with blank paper.
I offer no tv or computer things. No battery toys of any kind. I also don't have gender specific categories. Here, girls play with trucks and boys play with barbies.
I have all those things. He's just totally bored of it all.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 AM

Masking tape. ��
Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 AM

Glue sticks with ribbon on construction paper
We have cotton ball races across the floor. Blowing them along tape lines. We have indoor obstacle courses. We make forts and bake. We sew and build really cool box castles. How about having him color boxes? Here we color boxes and use them for all sorts of things. Or have him help move heavy things. To burn off energy. Like, totes full of rocks or shoes. Or Christmas decorations?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Magna-tiles, puzzles with latches
Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Unregistered

I like to make individual sensory boxes. Maybe put the trucks or plastic dinosaurs in gravel, sand, dried oatmeal, etc. in a small storage box. Also, maybe fill them with plastic toys and shovels in snow, or ice cubes with plastic spoons and containers, little people and their cars in shaving cream.......
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Tape paper towel tubes on the wall and let him drop things through it.
Made a road for cars with tape.
Do you have trains?
Maybe set up a couple small stools he can jump off of
Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Blocks and all kinds of them.wooden ones, duplos, Lego's if yo think they can handle it...it keeps the boys here busy all day. I put them next to the tool bench and lots of awesome pretend play happens. Cardboard boxes are a huge hit with them too...big enough to get into of course
Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma View Post
I have a 2.5 year old boy that's outgrown what I've got available to play with. He prefers to run up and down the hallway and will do it for hours.
we have 2 feet of snow outside.
He will watch tv but that's not the answer.
Any ideas on stimulating toys would be wonderful.
We have about 2-3 feet of snow outside as well but we will go out! It wears them out playing in it. I have a 2 1/2 boy who loves, dinosaurs, cars, busy books, super Heros, puppets. He's also very active and likes to run so we try for outside unless it's to cold. We do singing games that involve movement sleeping bunnies is his favorite.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
Magna-tiles, puzzles with latches

OMG, magna tiles! They are expensive, but my all of my kids 2+ (even my 6yr olds) will sit and play with these...sometimes for an hour at a time!! Such a good investment!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 AM

Do you have a lending library? Our resource and referral has a lending library that I get all kinds of super fun, expensive, challenging toys.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Real work. "Can you help me put together this new shelf?" "Can you spray the cabinets (obviously with child-safe spray) and wipe them down?" "Will you shovel a path for me?" I have 3-yr-old boys who can't seem to play, but will happily work.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:12 PM

My own 3 year old boy loves imaginext buildings and figures, the box of toy animals, the magnadoodle, and minecraft. .. (thanks seven year old sister). He also enjoys pattern blocks and cards though they frustrate him, but he needs the fine motor work. He likes painting sometimes and the water bin sometimes. he likes train tracks and trains, and big floor puzzles. And transformers and rescue bots.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Provider in Training

Maybe try incorperating more sensory, like water/ sand/ marbles/ gel/ shaving cream/ dry rice (maybe put down a tarp or a sheet if inside).