Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rates On My Friends! Help!
just_peachy 08:40 AM 04-04-2013
I've been watching 6 different friends' kids since almost birth, 2 years now. I didn't know ANYTHING back then! I didn't know I should charge late fees, or could take paid days off, or that parents had to pay when their kids were sick. I didn't realize that I would be feeding them when they were off baby food. I didn't think about the expense of crafts, and the wear and tear on my house. I was such a dummy, and I STILL have a lot to learn.

I charge $30 a day now. The other day I went through an entire loaf of bread and a half a brick of cheese on one lunch, and decided enough is enough. I buy high quality food and I'm starting to resent the extra cost these kids are.

I decided to raise my rates to $35 a day. (We're in the Pacific Northwest, things are expensive here.) I won't change any of my policies, because after a lot of reflection on the matter, I realized that I didn't resent the long days or schedule changes etc. until I found this site, haha! I realized that I don't TRULY resent that part of it. I love their kids and my kids love their kids. I'm really lucky that way. The hard part is going to be informing the parents. Yes, they're my friends, but some of them are also... cheap? Stingy? Selfish? Human, lol. Because they're friends, I don't want the notice to be the typical short and sweet notice.

Also, this is the first time any of them have received a letter from me. How do you deliver it? It feel soooo awkward to just be like "Here, read this." and just stand there like a dummy. I have a great thing going here, after 2 years of minimal problems, I'm so paranoid that I'm about to start some!

At the same time, I feel this needs to be done. Anyway, here's the letter:

"Friends,

It's been such a joy to watch your little ones grow. The friendships they are developing with each other as they get older is such an awesome thing to witness. We are so lucky to have each other!

When I started daycare, I didn't know much about what I was getting into. I never stopped to think that our kids will be getting older, and with that, will cost more. Between the high quality snacks and lunch they receive with me, and the obsessive crafting we're all into, my expenses have steadily risen over the last two years.

To be able to continue the level of care I am honored to give your children, I will be raising my rates to $35 a day effective June 1st. Thank you for understanding!

Love you all,
Me"
TheGoodLife 08:43 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
I've been watching 6 different friends' kids since almost birth, 2 years now. I didn't know ANYTHING back then! I didn't know I should charge late fees, or could take paid days off, or that parents had to pay when their kids were sick. I didn't realize that I would be feeding them when they were off baby food. I didn't think about the expense of crafts, and the wear and tear on my house. I was such a dummy, and I STILL have a lot to learn.

I charge $30 a day now. The other day I went through an entire loaf of bread and a half a brick of cheese on one lunch, and decided enough is enough. I buy high quality food and I'm starting to resent the extra cost these kids are.

I decided to raise my rates to $35 a day. (We're in the Pacific Northwest, things are expensive here.) I won't change any of my policies, because after a lot of reflection on the matter, I realized that I didn't resent the long days or schedule changes etc. until I found this site, haha! I realized that I don't TRULY resent that part of it. I love their kids and my kids love their kids. I'm really lucky that way. The hard part is going to be informing the parents. Yes, they're my friends, but some of them are also... cheap? Stingy? Selfish? Human, lol. Because they're friends, I don't want the notice to be the typical short and sweet notice.

Also, this is the first time any of them have received a letter from me. How do you deliver it? It feel soooo awkward to just be like "Here, read this." and just stand there like a dummy. I have a great thing going here, after 2 years of minimal problems, I'm so paranoid that I'm about to start some!

At the same time, I feel this needs to be done. Anyway, here's the letter:

"Friends,

It's been such a joy to watch your little ones grow. The friendships they are developing with each other as they get older is such an awesome thing to witness. We are so lucky to have each other!

When I started daycare, I didn't know much about what I was getting into. I never stopped to think that our kids will be getting older, and with that, will cost more. Between the high quality snacks and lunch they receive with me, and the obsessive crafting we're all into, my expenses have steadily risen over the last two years.

To be able to continue the level of care I am honored to give your children, I will be raising my rates to $35 a day effective June 1st. Thank you for understanding!

Love you all,
Me"
I like it! Personal like you want it to be, and gives good reasoning. I'd be prepared, though, since $5 a day is drastic if they are FT. Good luck, you deserve it!!!
just_peachy 08:45 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I like it! Personal like you want it to be, and gives good reasoning. I'd be prepared, though, since $5 a day is drastic if they are FT. Good luck, you deserve it!!!
I was wondering if that was too much of a hit, too! I was thinking $2 initially, but my mom talked me into $5 since they were getting such a good deal in the first place.

They are all part time, they pay daily. The most I have any 1 kid is 3 days a week.
TheGoodLife 11:28 AM 04-04-2013
I was wondering if that was too much of a hit, too! I was thinking $2 initially, but my mom talked me into $5 since they were getting such a good deal in the first place.

They are all part time, they pay daily. The most I have any 1 kid is 3 days a week.
Since they are friends, maybe explain that you are far below the prices of others (so they wouldn't easily find alternate care if they wanted to leave) and maybe offer to do a gradual increase, to total up to $5 by XXX, 2013? That way they can work up to your full rates?
nannyde 11:53 AM 04-04-2013
Be prepared for them to ask for less crafting and cheaper foods to just stay at the old rate. If you give them the why it is an invitation to tell you they would rather have the money then the things you spend the money on.
just_peachy 12:03 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Be prepared for them to ask for less crafting and cheaper foods to just stay at the old rate. If you give them the why it is an invitation to tell you they would rather have the money then the things you spend the money on.
I was considering that as well. Hmm... I thought about keeping it even more generic, siting the growing costs that comes with growing kids... but that would leave even more open to interpretation.

I do like the idea of the slower rate increase though!
Starburst 02:37 PM 04-04-2013
I was considering that as well. Hmm... I thought about keeping it even more generic, siting the growing costs that comes with growing kids... but that would leave even more open to interpretation.
You could say something about the cost of living going up (which it always is )
CrackerJacks 02:49 PM 04-04-2013
Be prepared for the come back of "oh, well them ill just bring little Johnnys lunch and snacks, and it's really okay if he doesn't do soo many crafts".
Reply Up