Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default How Do You Wean A Baby From Being Swaddled?

This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
Would you consider a zip up blanket sack? The ones with the arms out? Then it's a gradual transition from full swaddled to a lesser one , and then later no swaddle blanket after she gets older?
The zip sack is a good idea! I will see if I can find a light weight one (it's still hot here).

As I've never used these swaddle sacks before I am just unsure how long I should continue to use it. They are a great product and the baby sleeps so well in it.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

I need an answer to that as well. I am only allow to place sleeping baby, flat on his back in PNP. If he falls asleep in swing, he goes to PNP where he cries. Mom uses a wrap at home & I cannot. He is feed, changed & fine. He cries in PNP.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
My little guy here was swaddled, too. Once he could roll over, I was worried about him being pinned, so I just put his arms out, but swaddled his lower body for a while. Then, a couple weeks later, I switched to a light afghan blanket. Even if he put it over his face, he could breathe through it. Being a big guy, and strong, he could pull the blanket out of the crib sides (our regs say that's how we have to blanket them, but swaddling is okay).

As soon as he could roll over onto his tummy well, he did what every other baby I've ever had does. Slept on top of his blanket, on his stomach, tushie in the air.
No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
No blankets allowed until 12 mths old here.
We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
We're allowed blankets but they have to be tucked at the bottom and all sides, under the baby's arms. If the baby kicks it untucked we don't have to retuck.

I'd try a sleep sack if you can use it. Some babies just like to be warm and snuggled.
We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme View Post
We tried it & he still cries. He wants to be held near his chest. DCM has him in a wrap most of the time she is up. Makes it hard for the little guy here.
In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
In that case, swaddle him with his arms free for a while. Under the arm pits. Nice and snuggly, but his hands are free if he rolls over.
I did this with my 4.5mo this morning and it worked great. She is happily sound asleep.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos View Post
This is probably a silly question, but it is something I am dealing with.

I have a now 4.5mo, when she started at 3.5mo she was used to sleeping in a curved bottom bassinette and I had trouble getting her to sleep in my flat PnP. So I bought a couple of those really cute swaddle sacks and she has been sleeping like a champ! We are very close to being on a sleep schedule that works at DC (dcm already had her on one that works very well for me- yay dcm!). So my question is how do I transition her to not using the swaddle? Just go cold turkey, start wrapping it looser? Or just keep using it until she out grows it?

Thanks
Why bother? If it's working for her then she will let you know when she doesn't want it any more.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

I usually just keep using it until they outgrow it and then its really not that big of a deal to wean. You could always just leave the babies arms out to get her used.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

babiesrus.com has some Halo sleep sacks on sale.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Default one of my dcm's uses this:

http://zipadeezip.com/

they are really cute, and they sleep pretty well in it. it kind of reminds me of a starfish...great especially for those active babies trying to crawl out of the PNP!

Tags
swaddled, swaddling