Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gross, So Gross!
Boymom 06:37 AM 04-20-2016
Ok so I know we see all kinds of things in this business, but one dcb just sneezed in his hand and then licked his hand. I am a huge germaphobe, so I don't know why I am a daycare provider LOL! I'm OUT!!! ;-)
Mike 08:22 AM 04-20-2016
Ewww
That means he's a clean freak. Doesn't want a dirty hand.

I've seen much worse in my past babysitting, so when I open my daycare, I'll be ready for almost anything.
Boymom 08:27 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Ewww
That means he's a clean freak. Doesn't want a dirty hand.

I've seen much worse in my past babysitting, so when I open my daycare, I'll be ready for almost anything.
That's a good way to look at it haha! Wants to be clean

I am glad that things haven't been smeared all over my walls yet though! That will be the day I close hahahaha :-)
NightOwl 08:37 AM 04-20-2016
Where's the gag emoticon when you need it???
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Ok so I know we see all kinds of things in this business, but one dcb just sneezed in his hand and then licked his hand. I am a huge germaphobe, so I don't know why I am a daycare provider LOL! I'm OUT!!! ;-)
Let me guess.... only a few years into this business?

Nothing and I mean NOTHING grosses me out anymore.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:29 AM 04-20-2016
That was one of those things that you make a face to even when you are just reading it. YUCK!!!
Boymom 09:30 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Started July 2015 and I don't know if I will ever get used to the stuff I see every day haha!
Josiegirl 09:40 AM 04-20-2016
Icky scale that's about a 2 for me. Cleaning up puke all over the kitchen is maybe a 9. I'm still holding out for # 10.

Mike 09:43 AM 04-20-2016
If you're watching little ones who aren't FULLY potty trained yet, you will see worse, and I don't mean on the little one.
Mike 09:44 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm still holding out for # 10.
That would be what I just hinted at.
daycarediva 10:34 AM 04-20-2016

I caught puke in my hands this winter (and it didn't get on the floor!). That was about a 5 on the ickness scale for me.

I have a nose picker/eater. Yesterday I watched her pull a LONG gooey one out, twirl it and lick it off. I didn't even bat an eye when I told her to go wash her hands and not to do that. She's 4.
Josiegirl 10:53 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I caught puke in my hands this winter (and it didn't get on the floor!). That was about a 5 on the ickness scale for me.

I have a nose picker/eater. Yesterday I watched her pull a LONG gooey one out, twirl it and lick it off. I didn't even bat an eye when I told her to go wash her hands and not to do that. She's 4.
ok that gagged me a bit.
Play Care 10:57 AM 04-20-2016
A couple of years ago I had a DCB get suddenly and violently ill during breakfast (oatmeal)

Puked EVERYWHERE...

I remember I kept thinking while holding him over the garbage can (because he kept running all over while vomiting) "I hope dad gets here soon because I am STARVING!"

And I had oatmeal.
Boymom 10:59 AM 04-20-2016

I can't. I just can't, LOL! I have 2 dcboys that do that and I just have to take a deep breath and try not to throw up!
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 04-20-2016

Originally Posted by Play Care:
A couple of years ago I had a DCB get suddenly and violently ill during breakfast (oatmeal)

Puked EVERYWHERE...

I remember I kept thinking while holding him over the garbage can (because he kept running all over while vomiting) "I hope dad gets here soon because I am STARVING!"

And I had oatmeal.

.....exactly what I meant.
e.j. 12:19 PM 04-20-2016

I'm laughing, gagging and trying to stay quiet so I don't wake my napping kids just yet!

All I can say is you must have a very high tolerance level. After raising two kids and being a provider for almost 20 years, puking still gets to me. I don't think I could ever catch it in my hands - not intentionally anyway!
NillaWafers 12:46 PM 04-20-2016
Poop > puke. Any day haha.
Angelsj 05:42 PM 04-20-2016

When I first started (back in the dark ages) I watched a little girl pick HER FRIEND'S NOSE and eat it. Nothing ever topped that one!
Mike 06:27 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
When I first started (back in the dark ages) I watched a little girl pick HER FRIEND'S NOSE and eat it. Nothing ever topped that one!
Now that's weird.
Blackcat31 07:18 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Angelsj:

Sunshine74 08:18 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm laughing, gagging and trying to stay quiet so I don't wake my napping kids just yet!

All I can say is you must have a very high tolerance level. After raising two kids and being a provider for almost 20 years, puking still gets to me. I don't think I could ever catch it in my hands - not intentionally anyway!
I am with you on that one! I'd rather clean it with gloves on than catch it with my hands
valleygirl 08:34 PM 04-20-2016
Working with kids does get messy, especially the little ones.

I once had a kid throw up all over me, and it wasn't just a little puke. It was gobs and gobs of what looked like cottage cheese with black dots in it. I had to change my clothes.

Another time I was checking a two-year-old's diaper. She used to have really explosive poops, and this particular time when I pulled her diaper back to check it, I stuck my finger right in her poop, it was that close to leaking out the top of her diaper.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 04-21-2016
But but but all we do is play all day!!
Snowmom 01:38 PM 04-21-2016
I once walked into the nap room and was welcomed by an 18 month old who (within seconds) whipped his hand into his diaper, pulled out a handful of poop and stuck it in his mouth.

Not. even. kidding.
Suzanne 07:10 PM 04-22-2016
I can't believe I've been doing this for 7 years. Almost all of these scenarios made me gag because, I too, am a germaphobe. I wear latex gloves every time I change poopy diapers. I've had a daycare boy who constantly had a runny nose for the whole 3 years he was in my care and he'd sneeze and rub his face on my carpet. I have kids that also wipe their runny noses off on my couch and love seat- just plant their little faces right on there and wipe away. I don't know how many times I've thrown the cushion covers in the wash but way too many to count. I had one dc kid throw up all over the table during lunch time. These things seem tame now compared to some of the stories I'm reading. LOL Thanks for the perspective!!
Mike 07:29 PM 04-22-2016
I was holding back, but I gotta tell this story. The mods can remove this if they don't want it here.

A few years back, we were having a church picnic. I brought my cousin and her 4 kids. Her 8 yo son was dealing with diarrhea. You can stop reading now if you want.

####### don't read if you get sick easily #######

Anyway, she brought a change of clothes just in case. Half way through the picnic, he said he had to go. The washroom was a good distance away from where we were having our meeting. We started walking, but he stopped and said he can't walk, so I told him to hold it and carried him, running. About 1/2 way there a sudden smell told me to stop, put him down, and just walk the rest of the way. It was already through his pants and on my shirt. His bigger brother was with us, so I told him to go back and get the change of clothes. The 2 of us continued to the bathroom, with a trail of mess along the way. In the bathroom I took off his clothes, cleaned him up, wiped up the trail on the floor, and gave my shirt a quick washing. When his brother got back, he put on clean clothes and we headed back to where everyone else was. Not 15 minutes later he had another accident. We packed up, and I put a garbage bag on the van seat for him to sit on, and I took them back home.

Lesson learned - don't ever take someone with diarrhea away from home.
jenboo 10:12 PM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Icky scale that's about a 2 for me. Cleaning up puke all over the kitchen is maybe a 9. I'm still holding out for # 10.
My #10 was a child eating their own poop.
Hasn't been topped yet.
e.j. 10:49 AM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I once walked into the nap room and was welcomed by an 18 month old who (within seconds) whipped his hand into his diaper, pulled out a handful of poop and stuck it in his mouth.

Not. even. kidding.
I think we have a winner! It can't possibly get any worse than this, can it??
mommyneedsadayoff 11:51 AM 04-23-2016
When I was a nanny, I came in the little guys room to get him up from nap to find poop smeared everywhere! All over the crib, his mouth, eyes, hair, ears...EVERYWHERE! That was the second worse poop incident.

The first one involved a 2 month old, liquid, explosive poo, and me having to shower after. It was less than inch from my mouth, in my hair, my clothes. I never saw such a little one contain soooo much poo!

My biggest icky is puke, though. I have to take my mind to a beach in Hawaii in order to clean it up or I will lose my lunch!
Mike 12:36 PM 04-23-2016
For me it's a tie between poop and puke. Poop is puke that has been fully processed.
Josiegirl 01:24 PM 04-23-2016
We'd be great to have all together at a party huh?

Tags:gross topic
Reply Up