Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Stressed When Interviewing
Sherrihoos 07:35 PM 03-02-2018
I get so nervous and stressed out when it comes to interviewing new families. I show them around and talk about the day care and ask and answer questions. I just feel inadequate and self conscious every time. Any suggestions?
ColorfulSunburst 09:04 PM 03-02-2018
Next time just remember about me.
I have "broken English" and heavy accent and I'm not stressed when interviewing. Why do you? Relax!
Josiegirl 03:43 AM 03-03-2018
This is the time I actually use the mantra fake it til you make it. Be interested, ask them lots of questions, try not to focus on your fears, have a plan down, have a list of things you want to go over with them, and keep telling yourself if it doesn't work out there's always next time. Consider it good practice. Be honest and open, easy to approach, smile, pay attention to the little one.
I get so stressed out at every single one. Waiting for them to show up is the worst feeling, all that anxiety builds up. My stomach keeps doing flip-flops until they've been here a few minutes. By then I can usually tell if they're approachable and easy to get along with or if I'm wasting my time; either way helps me relax. Most of my dcfs come from family referrals so that's usually encouraging and a good starting point. I always give them a folder with handbook, policies, contracts, other print-outs and tell them to go home, read, discuss, email or call with questions and then we can talk some more. I also encourage them to visit other providers to make sure what I offer is what they want for their child.

Good luck!! I'm a terribly shy introvert so I can understand the stress each interview brings on.
Ariana 06:08 AM 03-03-2018
I used to be like this too! I have a lot of anxiety and am super awkward (in my mind probably not really) so what I did was practice without them there. I would walk through my home and pretend to have a conversation with the family and answer pretend questions that I posed to myself. I tried to cover everything so that I was not caught off guard.

Whatever works
Sherrihoos 07:26 AM 03-03-2018
Such excellent suggestions and compassion! I greatly appreciate it! I’m going to do some practice interviewing! Great idea!!
Unregistered 01:26 PM 03-03-2018
I spent 10 years being very very anxious about every interview. Eventually I made a website that showed lots of pictures, and gave a pretty good picture of what our typical day looks like.

When contact is made I have them supply basic information such as hours of care needed, ages & number of children etc. This rules out interviewing anyone I would not be a good fit for. If all looks well, I then email my handbook. Sometimes I never hear from them again and that's okay. Saves an interview or contracting with someone who would not be a good fit. In the handbook I also have a commonly asked questions section. I went online and looked up questions parents are to ask providers in an interview. This way I was able to think out my responses, and already have them answered prior to an interview. I also encourage them to email me with any questions they may have after I send out the handbook.

Interviews are now much shorter, and the ones who do come are pretty confident it will be a good fit before they walk in the door. Somewhere after year 10, I think I also just relaxed a smidge. I no longer worried if the place was pristine. I no longer worried if they decided not to sign on. I no longer felt there was something wrong with me or my set up if they declined. I don't have to be the right fit for everyone.

I keep a nice stash of chocolate available for afterwards.
Josiegirl 01:33 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I used to be like this too! I have a lot of anxiety and am super awkward (in my mind probably not really) so what I did was practice without them there. I would walk through my home and pretend to have a conversation with the family and answer pretend questions that I posed to myself. I tried to cover everything so that I was not caught off guard.

Whatever works
Wonder if neighbors were watching through your windows and thinking 'uh oh, that crazy Arianna lady's at it again!'
HappyEverAfter 02:07 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Whatever works
This is exactly what I did.
Reply Up