Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Cancel This Interview?
Ms.Jessica 02:50 PM 08-09-2015
So I have one infant spot and several families asking for it. I had one interview this morning and I have another set up for tomorrow evening.
I really really like the family from this morning. I connected easily with Mom and dad and they messaged me 30 min after the appointment ended asking to put in their official application and to tell me they are eagerly waiting my decision. They need 4 days with extended hours which pays more than my ft fee.
Should I just cancel tomorrow appointment? The babies are the same exact age. Or is it more polite to do the interview even though I am already heavily leaning one way? WWYD?
Reply
Unregistered 02:58 PM 08-09-2015
If you plan to take the first family, I would cancel the interview. If you are not sure, then do the interview and decide who will fit best.
Reply
Josiegirl 03:17 PM 08-09-2015
What if, for some strange reason, this dcf doesn't work out?
What if you contact the 2nd family and tell them exactly what you said here? That you've met with a dcf that you feel will be a good fit, they'd like to enroll and leave it up to them to meet with you and possibly be put on your waiting list?
Reply
nothingwithoutjoy 06:55 PM 08-09-2015
I wouldn't cancel, because you never know what might happen. The first family hasn't signed a contract yet. Or maybe they do, and the next day, another family suddenly pulls out for some unforeseen reason. I like to have a waiting list just in case.
Reply
childcaremom 07:12 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I wouldn't cancel, because you never know what might happen. The first family hasn't signed a contract yet. Or maybe they do, and the next day, another family suddenly pulls out for some unforeseen reason. I like to have a waiting list just in case.

Reply
littletots 07:33 PM 08-09-2015
When I've been in this situation, I've told 2nd interview about 1st. If 1st isn't a match I move forward with the 2nd. If 1st works & parents are ready to sign a contract I call 2nd give update and cancel.
Reply
Thriftylady 09:21 PM 08-09-2015
Do the interview. If first family works out, offer to put them on wait list.
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 10:35 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by Ms.Jessica:
So I have one infant spot and several families asking for it. I had one interview this morning and I have another set up for tomorrow evening.
I really really like the family from this morning. I connected easily with Mom and dad and they messaged me 30 min after the appointment ended asking to put in their official application and to tell me they are eagerly waiting my decision. They need 4 days with extended hours which pays more than my ft fee.
Should I just cancel tomorrow appointment? The babies are the same exact age. Or is it more polite to do the interview even though I am already heavily leaning one way? WWYD?
It seems like you will probably go with the first family. I would cancel second interview and politely say/email, "The spot has been filled, but I thank you so much for your interest. I will keep hold of your contact information in case anything else opens up in the future. Thank you for your time and enjoy the summer/winter/ect!"

Not a huge fan of telling prospective families they are on a wait list. I fell like it makes them put off a little and a little antsy. I supose that is just because in my experience, parents who are interviewing have been looking for care to start soon. Some were a few days, some were a week or so, but none of them were longer than 3 weeks before care started (and that was because I was moving, so I had to push back their start date). So, anyway, a wait list didn't really help them out, if you know what I mean? I would just go with your gut! Hope it all works out!
Reply
CraftyMom 06:33 AM 08-10-2015
I would do the interview also. For the same reasons...you never know.

Plus you may see that this is a family you WOULDN'T have enrolled, so it saves you the "what ifs"

Or the family you like may end up not being so great after the trial period and you can replace with the second family if they haven't found care yet.

Also, I just think it's polite. It isn't their fault the other interview was scheduled first, kwim? For example I only do interviews after hours. I had 2 interviews that I scheduled that called on the same day. One came last week, but due to MY schedule for interviews the other couldn't come until this Wed. Not their fault, so I feel it would be wrong for me to say "the others got here first, sorry"
Reply
hope 06:42 AM 08-10-2015
I would do the interview. You never know....you may fall in love with the 2nd family. It's a great predicament to be in!
Reply
LysesKids 06:42 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I wouldn't cancel, because you never know what might happen. The first family hasn't signed a contract yet. Or maybe they do, and the next day, another family suddenly pulls out for some unforeseen reason. I like to have a waiting list just in case.
Believe me this is true... every time in the last month I thought I was filled, the very next week I had a kid leave no notice ... just happened again this morning - thank goodness I rescheduled last weeks interview for tomorrow before I knew little miss wasn't coming back lol.

This is a monthly pay parent too in their case it's not that they can't pay, but grandma moved here and wants to care for baby until November they just didn't know how to tell me when I called asking why she wasn't here yet
Reply
christine19720 07:16 AM 08-10-2015
I interview all families first.
I'd tell all them all that I have other families interested in the slot as well.
Then, whatever family I think will mesh the best and has all paperwork and monies paid will receive the slot.
No cash, no slot filled.
If they are serious, they all have the opportunity to hold the slot with cash at the interview.
My time is valuable, too!
Reply
Play Care 09:42 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by christine19720:
I interview all families first.
I'd tell all them all that I have other families interested in the slot as well.
Then, whatever family I think will mesh the best and has all paperwork and monies paid will receive the slot.
No cash, no slot filled.
If they are serious, they all have the opportunity to hold the slot with cash at the interview.
My time is valuable, too!


I've had interviews that went really well and thought I was enrolling only to have them take their sweet time getting back to me. It's much better for families to know you have others who want in.
Reply
KidGrind 12:07 PM 08-10-2015
I would interview other family to leave my options open. A dunkin donut can look really good. However, if I drive down a road a bit there is a gourmet donut shop and that looks even better.

Once you’ve conducted both interviews you’ll have the information needed to make the best decision for you.
Reply
CraftyMom 12:09 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I would interview other family to leave my options open. A dunkin donut can look really good. However, if I drive down a road a bit there is a gourmet donut shop and that looks even better.

Once you’ve conducted both interviews you’ll have the information needed to make the best decision for you.
...and now I want a gourmet donut!
Reply
Indianadaycare 04:04 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Do the interview. If first family works out, offer to put them on wait list.

Reply
KidGrind 05:03 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
...and now I want a gourmet donut!
If we lived near each other I’d treat you to GBD on a Saturday morning. (Kid free of course!)
Reply
daycare 05:12 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Do the interview. If first family works out, offer to put them on wait list.
this... I would meet with them. Who knows, they may be an even better fit. They can always go onto your wait list. not sure what your term period is, mine is 30 days, so anything can change in that time frame.
Reply
Tags:interview, waiting list interviews
Reply Up