Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming and New Clients
brookeroo 10:32 AM 09-05-2012
So I have 5 boys and my daughter. One is my nephew. I have one full time that just went part time that I've been considering terming because I need the full time funds rather than part time. But I have one full time that I definitely am wanting to term.

My son's preschool just referred a person to me last week. Everything seemed good until the end of the conversation when she asked me how many kids I have. I realized after I got off the phone with her that I wasn't very clear. I had told her I had two openings. Two spots I'm looking to fill but I have 5 boys and my daughter. I probably should have gone more into detail. I didn't explain that one was my nephew. She asked the ages and so I ran down the list which included two 6 month old's and I told her that one of the 6 month old children had recently gone part time. Her response was, "Wow, you must be busy!" I explained that my grandmother lives next door and often takes my daughter if I need to or just because she wants to. She has her a lot.

I spoke with her on Thursday night, and we were leaving for the lake Friday evening through Monday evening, so I told her we could probably come back early on Monday if she wanted to interview. She said, "No, you don't have to do that. I will just call you next week and set up a time to come meet with you if that's ok?" I said "yes". Well here it is Wednesday and I haven't heard from her. So I just called and left her a message explaining that I had two spots that were looking to come open. I was concerned with her going back to the school (who is referring to me) and telling them that I am taking so many kids. I was afraid that they would not refer to me if she did that not knowing all the details.

I guess another one of my concerns is if you are planning on terming people and the new clients are concerned with you taking on too many kids how much do you tell them? I don't want them to think I'm taking on too many but I want to be honest with them at the same time. I just don't know how professional it is to get into detail about it when I haven't even told the parents I'm looking at terming anything. It's been so hard to get new kids or calls in these days.
littlemissmuffet 10:43 AM 09-05-2012
I never go into details about how many kids I have, when they are here, etc. How my daycare works is I have a maximum of six chilren in my care at any given time - one of which is my nephew. I will them provide ages if asked, but otherwise, I don't just offer information like that.

Personally, I can handle six kids with ease (well, most days anyways, lol). I could probably easily take 2-3 more, and legally can, but I just choose not too. This is my comfort level - and I will/do express that to my daycare parents and potential daycare parents. Letting them know this helps put them at ease. Alot of people couldn't handle what we do - actually, alot of people can't handle their OWN one or two kids... let alone other people's - so I do see how sometimes parents are put off by certain numbers. It's all about assuring them that you are in control.

Good luck.
cheerfuldom 12:02 PM 09-05-2012
I share the max number of kids that would be here at any time. I dont go into details about who is here when but I do say that many times (about four mornings a week), I do not have the max number of kids here. I also share how many openings I have but do not include the fact that anyone will be let go in order to make a new space. If they ask ages, I give a range....all kids here are under 4, with only one child under 12 months at a time.
brookeroo 11:13 AM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I never go into details about how many kids I have, when they are here, etc. How my daycare works is I have a maximum of six chilren in my care at any given time - one of which is my nephew. I will them provide ages if asked, but otherwise, I don't just offer information like that.
So, I did this pretty much exactly. I explained that right now I only have 6 daycare kids in my care at one time and that one was my nephew and one is my daughter. (They came with two). They asked the ages of each child and I explained my youngest two are 6 months (one just went part time) and the oldest was 2.5. They continued to press and ask how old all of them are and how many I was looking to take on and how many did you say you had again? Why I was looking for two... They just kept digging. I think they could tell I was dancing around the questions...

I ended up lying to them and saying one spot I never filled (which was true since one of my 5 dck's is my nephew and then there is my daughter.. I legally could have taken one more) and one family decided to move. I said that they were looking at leaving soon but I wasn't sure when yet.

I feel bad for lying but had no idea what else to tell them. They came Monday and seemed happy. Said she really liked it here and that I was more reasonable than the other place she was going to check out Tuesday. She said they would call me Wednesday but they have not called me back ... and they even left their notepad with all their daycare provider's print offs and what appeared to be emails with these providers and notes and one of the baby's blankets!
Tags:new children, new clients, referrals, terminating
Reply Up