Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>The One and Only Ivan
happymom 10:35 AM 06-19-2018
I just finished this novel with my 6 year old.

I adored it. It's (very) loosely based on a true story of a gorilla, who was taken from Africa as an infant to the United States. He was raised in someone's home before become too rambunctious and moving to a cage inside a mall, off a freeway exit in Washington state.

The book is written from the perspective of the gorilla who has been isolated for 27 years, in a concrete cage.

I love the way it is written. It's a VERY EASY read (2nd or 3rd grade) but it was lovely. It will probably make you cry.
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 06-19-2018
I was saddened when he died in 2012.
Josiegirl 01:55 AM 06-20-2018
The whole story sounds sad. Why would he be stuck in a cage, by himself, in a mall? Was that part based on truth? It's bad enough for them to be stuck in a zoo. Will have to google this book, and real life version.
Cat Herder 04:27 AM 06-20-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
The whole story sounds sad. Why would he be stuck in a cage, by himself, in a mall? Was that part based on truth? It's bad enough for them to be stuck in a zoo. Will have to google this book, and real life version.
Yes. Someone purchased a male and female as infants. Female died of pneumonia. They tried to get another female, but were denied so used him as a marketing gimmick in a mall, instead.

Zoo Atlanta has all kinds of info on him and photos. https://zooatlanta.org/animal-legend/ivan/
ellen211 01:08 AM 07-13-2018
This seems interesting. Do this novel have copies online? Can you give us the link? Would like to read it.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 07-13-2018
Originally Posted by ellen211:
This seems interesting. Do this novel have copies online? Can you give us the link? Would like to read it.
https://www.amazon.com/One-Only-Ivan.../dp/0061992259
ellen211 10:37 PM 07-15-2018
Thank you so much! Will read this soon.
Tags:death - family pet, gorilla
Reply Up