Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Friendly Vehicle
squareone 01:04 PM 04-07-2011
We have a Tahoe that seats 8. There are 2 bench rows in the back and yesterday I just discovered that I can fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row but can't fit 3 car seats across the back row!!!! Luckily I only needed 7 of the seats this time but I was very surprised that the 3rd row was not the same size as the 2nd row. When my car is paid off, I plan to purchase a larger vehicle to safely and comfortably transport daycare kids.

I am trying to avoid a full size passenger van because this will also be the vehicle that I drive around for personal use. So, does anyone have or know of a minivan, or SUV that can fit 3 car seats across the third row?

I know that car seats vary in width and that might make a slight difference. The Sunshine car seats don't have arm rests so they are pretty narrow. Any other model car seats that are particularly narrow?

I vaguely remember a discussion about this in another thread but didn't know how to find it.

Thanks in advance.
Michelle 01:30 PM 04-07-2011
My GMC Safari is an 8 passenger and I can fit 6 car seats in it.
It's a 2002
Michael 04:24 PM 04-07-2011
I had an Eddie Bauer Expidition that seated three in the back. They are/were great cars. I used it for field trips from school. 4x4 is even better.

jen2651 04:30 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I had an Eddie Bauer Expidition that seated three in the back. They are/were great cars. I used it for field trips from school. 4x4 is even better.

That is mine too! Love it! My favorite thing is the back seat folds down with the push of a button from the back....loading up groceries - easy peasy!
newtodaycare22 04:43 PM 04-07-2011
I have an Expediton also, but it's the older (02) style. I fit 3 wide in the back but it can be a struggle to buckle boosters. I have preschoolers so we have a combo of car seats and booster seats. Anyway, if you have an issue with this in your new vehicle, I find that hooking them from behind (the trunk) is helpful.
childcarebytori 05:24 PM 04-07-2011
I have a Suburban and it can fit three carseats in the third row easily. I know I had to test a few carseats out to find out which ones fit the most comfortable, but thankfully Babies'R'Us has a nice exchange program

I had a Ford Expedition but I had a huge problem not getting my triple stroller to fit in the back when I did fieldtrips and I was confined to only using my double stroller (which I threw plenty of fits about as I usually take my five, sometimes six, daycare kids out on fieldtrips and three of those are infants/toddlers). The new Suburban's are super nice, too, with an amazing amount of space in the back that fits my triple stroller. I definitely recommend this vehicle for daycare transportation!
dEHmom 06:10 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
I have an Expediton also, but it's the older (02) style. I fit 3 wide in the back but it can be a struggle to buckle boosters. I have preschoolers so we have a combo of car seats and booster seats. Anyway, if you have an issue with this in your new vehicle, I find that hooking them from behind (the trunk) is helpful.
yep i do this in my van! lol.

we just bought a buick terraza. I like it. Although all the electronic components scare me, just thinking about when that stuff starts going. Before warranty is up, it's gone! lol. I'm not paying to fix that stuff.

I just find that there's not much room in between the 2nd row seats to get into the far back. So I obviously put the older kids not in big carseats in the far back. If I have to reach around to buckle them , I do it from the trunk. But I find the trunk part is not as big as I am used to (used to drive an Astro). So thats a pretty big drawback when all of your seats are full.
MarinaVanessa 06:53 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by :
I know I had to test a few carseats out to find out which ones fit the most comfortable, but thankfully Babies'R'Us has a nice exchange policy
yes thank goodness they do. I havnt taken advantage of this policy yet but I will this summer when I buy my new van. Originally we were going to buy an SUV but with gas prices the way they are and with rumors about gas prices hitting in the $5's this summer well I needed something that did a little better with mileage. I'll get an 8 seater Sienna and drive myself right over to babies r us to try carseats. Heck I'm doing it in the parking lot. Then once I figure out how to maximize my space with what carseats I'm returning the carseats and hitting craigslists lol.
dEHmom 07:21 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
but with gas prices the way they are and with rumors about gas prices hitting in the $5's this summer
we just hit 1.21/ Litre (no idea what that is for gallons) but i heard we will be at 1.50/litre by the summer. ACK
Lilbutterflie 07:39 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
We have a Tahoe that seats 8. There are 2 bench rows in the back and yesterday I just discovered that I can fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row but can't fit 3 car seats across the back row!!!! Luckily I only needed 7 of the seats this time but I was very surprised that the 3rd row was not the same size as the 2nd row. When my car is paid off, I plan to purchase a larger vehicle to safely and comfortably transport daycare kids.

I am trying to avoid a full size passenger van because this will also be the vehicle that I drive around for personal use. So, does anyone have or know of a minivan, or SUV that can fit 3 car seats across the third row?

I know that car seats vary in width and that might make a slight difference. The Sunshine car seats don't have arm rests so they are pretty narrow. Any other model car seats that are particularly narrow?

I vaguely remember a discussion about this in another thread but didn't know how to find it.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2004 Tahoe myself; and I found I was able to fit an infant carseat in the middle, with two boosters on either side. Tight fit, but it did work! But there is no way it would fit three infant carseats.
Greenshadow 07:54 AM 04-08-2011
I have a Chrysler Town & Country and I can fit 3 carseats in the 3rd row. I have the Touring Edition so the 2nd row are 2 captains chairs so I fit 5 carseats altogether. If Im not using the backrow, they fold flat down giving me more room to carry stuff if I need to. I love my van.
Lilbutterflie 08:59 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I have a Chrysler Town & Country and I can fit 3 carseats in the 3rd row. I have the Touring Edition so the 2nd row are 2 captains chairs so I fit 5 carseats altogether. If Im not using the backrow, they fold flat down giving me more room to carry stuff if I need to. I love my van.
I'm SOO envious! I want a Town & Country so bad!
Greenshadow 09:46 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I'm SOO envious! I want a Town & Country so bad!
Whats even better, and Im not sure if Chrysler offers it anymore, but we bought the extended warranty and its LIFETIME for every single thing aside from what we add ourselves and it doesnt cover oil changes and regular maintenance but everything else is covered - for life! You cant beat that. Literally.
Lilbutterflie 10:18 AM 04-08-2011
That must've been last year when all the companies started offering the incentives to new car buyers?

That would be wonderful if they offered that now. Wow! What a deal!

I have to wait until our Tahoe is paid off, I think another year and a half. I so want it though!
MG&Lsmom 10:25 AM 04-08-2011
I have an 8 passenger Toyota Sienna and I can't fit 3 across the back with what I have. I can fit 3 LARGE seats in the 2nd row tho. Width isn't necessarily the problem in the 3rd row, it's the location of the seat belts and Latches. There are only 2 Latch/tether positions. The center Latch position overlaps the driver side belt buckle. Only one of my seats can install well with the position of the seat belt buckle forward of the bight. I need 2 narrow seats that can install well this way in order to do it.
dEHmom 10:27 AM 04-08-2011
maybe we should all just get those 15 passenger vans?!?! might make life easier. lol
DancingQueen 10:45 AM 04-08-2011
I'm looking for a 9 seater
3-3-3
I want the front to have the center console that folds down and has the lap belt option so in a pinch I can fit 8 guests in my car.
I am SO SICK AND TIRED OF REMOVING CARSEATS FROM MY CAR EVERY DAY TO ACCOMODATE MY OWN FAMILY IN THE EVENING!!!
squareone 11:21 AM 04-08-2011
Thanks for all of your replies and keep 'em coming.

I will need to check to see if they offer bench seating for the second row in a different edition.

Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I have an 8 passenger Toyota Sienna and I can't fit 3 across the back with what I have. I can fit 3 LARGE seats in the 2nd row tho. Width isn't necessarily the problem in the 3rd row, it's the location of the seat belts and Latches. There are only 2 Latch/tether positions. The center Latch position overlaps the driver side belt buckle. Only one of my seats can install well with the position of the seat belt buckle forward of the bight. I need 2 narrow seats that can install well this way in order to do it.
Thanks! I was looking at the 8 passenger Sienna and this information is crucial.

Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
3-3-3
I want the front to have the center console that folds down and has the lap belt option so in a pinch I can fit 8 guests in my car.
I am SO SICK AND TIRED OF REMOVING CARSEATS FROM MY CAR EVERY DAY TO ACCOMODATE MY OWN FAMILY IN THE EVENING!!!
YES YES YES!!! I know exactly what you mean. And even worse is reinstalling them the next day!!!!!
DancingQueen 11:34 AM 04-08-2011
tonight is even worse I have to carpool 2 teen girls that aren't mine so I have to uninstall 4 carseats and pull out a booster.
it drives me nuts!
MarinaVanessa 12:43 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I can't have more than 2 infants at a time anyway and 4 toddlers. I can add 2 more kids if I wanted but they have to be school agers. Since you have a sienna I thought I'd ask, do you think I'd be able to put 3 carseats in the 2nd row (2 infants and 1 toddler carseats) and put the other 3 toddler carseats in the 3rd row? I know you said it was the position of the seat belts but would the type of caseat make a difference?

This is important for me too, otherwise if I can't then there's really no point in buying a sienna. I do have my daughter and she uses a booster and at the moment she counts as one of the 6 that I have. Would her booster seat make a difference in the 3rd row?

I was planning on Having the infant carseats in the 2nd row and for the toddler I'd have the seats that strap in with the seat belt but have their own carseat seat belts so that I don't have to buckle and in buckle the carseats themselves. What do you think?

Lol sorry to ask so many questions and sorry to highjack the thread
jen2651 03:40 PM 04-08-2011
For the person asking about the 3-3-3, I know the Expedition comes with the option of the bench in front, middle, and back. I use mine only about once a month for daycare...my biggest issue was my personal family. My husband and I have two children but we also have 2 from his first marriage every weekend. We got the Eddie Bauer edition that has 2-2-3 which works perfect for the 'small family' and then the kids can just walk around the other two when I pick them up on Friday evening. I understand this wouldn't work for everyone but is perfect for us!

I know, the price of gas is a real stinker! But, we got such a good deal, 6,000 below private party sale so basically we can drive it for free for 1.5-2 years...couldn't argue with that!
Lilbutterflie 08:32 PM 04-08-2011
Greenshadow: I may have convinced my DH to get one before we pay off our Tahoe! Yipee! Your touring edition is exactly what I want: so when you say you can fit three carseats in the third row... you mean three carseats NOT boosters, right? Also, do you have the swivel-n-go seating? This option is what intrigued me the most about this vehicle.
Michael 09:15 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
3-3-3
That would be the Ford Excursion:

I switched to the Hummer H2. It only sits 6 but gets the WOW factor from the kids.

MG&Lsmom 02:58 AM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I can't have more than 2 infants at a time anyway and 4 toddlers. I can add 2 more kids if I wanted but they have to be school agers. Since you have a sienna I thought I'd ask, do you think I'd be able to put 3 carseats in the 2nd row (2 infants and 1 toddler carseats) and put the other 3 toddler carseats in the 3rd row? I know you said it was the position of the seat belts but would the type of caseat make a difference?

This is important for me too, otherwise if I can't then there's really no point in buying a sienna. I do have my daughter and she uses a booster and at the moment she counts as one of the 6 that I have. Would her booster seat make a difference in the 3rd row?

I was planning on Having the infant carseats in the 2nd row and for the toddler I'd have the seats that strap in with the seat belt but have their own carseat seat belts so that I don't have to buckle and in buckle the carseats themselves. What do you think?

Lol sorry to ask so many questions and sorry to highjack the thread
Yes, 2 infant seats and one foward facing toddler seat will definitely fit in the 2nd row. What is also nice, if you put the toddler seat in the middle, it can slide forward so that toddler can not touch the babies

As for the 3rd row, I have the Sunshine Radian which is the narrowest seat on the market today. I can not get it to install properly using the van's seat belt, I have to use the lower latch anchors. But the design in my 2009 is flawed so that if you use the lower latch anchors in the center position you can not buckle the seat belt next to it. Now there is no lower latch anchor for the driver side 3rd row. You have to use the seat belt to install the seat or use a booster there. I just can't get any seat to install well in the center and still have access to that buckle.

In the 2011 Sienna they actually got rid of one set of lower latch anchors/tethers, so it might be better, might be worse. I did get in one when we were searching and it felt smaller than what I have.

Also to consider is how you are going to get those toddlers in the 3rd row. They will have to climb over the 2nd row seat backs or you will have to lift them through the tailgate over the back of the 3rd row. Right now I need 5 seats Tues-Thur. I have 2 installed in the 3rd row, 2 in the 2nd row and the 3rd I have removed so I can flip the seat forward to load the 3rd row. The 5th seat is my son's Britax which is the easiest seat to install imo but I have just been leaving it and having the kids climb over. If I had some more money I'd buy a bunch of seats and try to figure out that 3 in a row combo.
Tags:care, transportation
Reply Up