Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dear God Just Make It Stop!
Bookworm 03:31 PM 02-23-2012
Tattling is driving me insane. My kids do it non stop and over the silliest things. "Bob is rolling a crayon on the table" or "Sally said I am a silly goose". Please, how do you handle this short of an earful of cotton. If there are any threads about this, please direct me to them. My sanity is at stake.
jen 03:36 PM 02-23-2012
Sounds like a job for the "Tattle Turtle." Go find yourself a stuffed turtle and get him a little chair...when a little friends needs to tattle, redirect him/her to the "tattle turtle." Works like a charm...
daycare 03:52 PM 02-23-2012

we have Mr. Bear
AmyLeigh 03:54 PM 02-23-2012
I've started to ask the newest tattler before he starts, "Is this about you or somebody else?" If its about someone else, I know it's a tattle. I don't want to hear it.

To make things worse, one of my tattlers gets mad and calls others who tattle a "snitch". Pot, meet kettle.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 02-24-2012
I use Nan's approach to tattling: my youngest toddler who is 20 months old is our complaint department. If you have a problem that just needs to be vented (tattled) to someone....tell him. He LOVES when the older kids interact with him and the method works awesome too! Thanks Nan!
Sunchimes 07:59 AM 02-24-2012
I love these!! None of mine are old enough to tattle yet. Would someone please repost these in about a year?
MrsB 08:12 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use Nan's approach to tattling: my youngest toddler who is 20 months old is our complaint department. If you have a problem that just needs to be vented (tattled) to someone....tell him. He LOVES when the older kids interact with him and the method works awesome too! Thanks Nan!

I think I'll use this too. All the sudden my DS (10) and my DD (6) have started the sibling bicker and tattle stuff. I think now I will redirect them to my youngest daughter (16 mos).
MissAnn 08:20 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Tattling is driving me insane. My kids do it non stop and over the silliest things. "Bob is rolling a crayon on the table" or "Sally said I am a silly goose". Please, how do you handle this short of an earful of cotton. If there are any threads about this, please direct me to them. My sanity is at stake.
I have a tattle switch behind my ear. It's off. I can't hear tattles.

If someone tattles on someone else.....I just act like I literally can't hear them. I just keep doing what I'm doing. They remember about my switch and I walk away. I will then casually walk by who they were telling on....to make sure all is OK.

If there is a disturbance between kids......I have them talk to each other and come up with a solution. If they can't.......they play away from each other.
PitterPatter 08:30 AM 02-24-2012
When my most recent SA enrolled I really got fed up. Literally every 5 minutes! He was new I would think he would be too shy but nope told on everyone for everything. I finally got fed up and told everyone what I was told as a kid.

"If it isn't broke or bleeding I don't want to know about it"

Now sure I want to know if Johnny is poking people in the eye etc but enough was enough. Now I explain to the SA kids that if someone hurts them then I want to know. If someone is doing something dangerous then I want to know. But if they constantly tell on their friends they won't have friends for long. Then I ask if they would like Billy to tell on them everytime they do something wrong. The answer is always NO. Ok then, go play.

Toddlers our complaint department is the old fashioned wheely phone. They get on it now and say "hey Billy takin Bobbys blocks" and proceed to tell the story.
beachgrl 11:06 AM 02-24-2012
Ive used mr ear before ( ear drawn on poster board and hung at kids level) so they can tell him..its hillarious, similar to tattle turtle. With my prek kids we talked about when to tattle andbi told tnem is someone wasnt hurt, crying, puking or on fire...to go talk to mr ear!
WImom 12:10 PM 02-24-2012
Loving the tattle turtle for the dc kids. I may have to try that..with five 3-5y old girls here there can be lots of tattling.

Now my own kids 7 and 9y old girls. I think maybe a poster of Justin Bieber will work. I'll just tell them 'go tell Justin"...lol
Sugar Magnolia 12:42 PM 02-24-2012
We have a tattle phone, so they can call someone who will listen.
Bookworm 01:46 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I have a tattle switch behind my ear. It's off. I can't hear tattles.

If someone tattles on someone else.....I just act like I literally can't hear them. I just keep doing what I'm doing. They remember about my switch and I walk away. I will then casually walk by who they were telling on....to make sure all is OK.

If there is a disturbance between kids......I have them talk to each other and come up with a solution. If they can't.......they play away from each other.
Love love love this. I tried a tattle phone but they treated it like just another toy. On Monday, I will show the new tattle switch to my kids. Thank, I may have a chance to keep my sanity.
SilverSabre25 01:59 PM 02-24-2012
I will be adopting the, "Go tell the baby" line...that's brilliance and I now have a baby old enough to care :P
grandmom 02:05 PM 02-24-2012
Judy: Tommy took my toy!
Me: My name isn't Tommy. Go talk to Tommy.

ad nauseum

Then, later I just say my name isn't Tommy.

I prefer to send them to talk to Tommy because Tommy is the one who is the offender. If we send the tattler to a baby, or the phone, they grow up not learning to stand up for themselves to the Tommy's of the world. They learn instead to gossip.
Blackcat31 03:35 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Judy: Tommy took my toy!
Me: My name isn't Tommy. Go talk to Tommy.

ad nauseum

Then, later I just say my name isn't Tommy.

I prefer to send them to talk to Tommy because Tommy is the one who is the offender. If we send the tattler to a baby, or the phone, they grow up not learning to stand up for themselves to the Tommy's of the world. They learn instead to gossip.
I disagree with the that because 99.9% of the time they are tattling to have their feelings validated or to just be heard. If they tell the baby, they are venting (validating) their feelings just like we do here.....we vent to someone, instead of telling the offender (DCP's) what our issue is in most cases of simple frustration.

If the situation was one where someone hit or hurt another child then, of course I intervene but if the child is simply tattling for the sake of tattling, they can tell the baby.

My DCK's all speak up to the person they are mad or disagreeing with loooong before they attempt to tattle to me....they tattle because they think they are getting back at the other kid and if they can get the other kid in trouble.... then they feel vindicated, especially if they think I am going to "fix" their issue for them.

If they tell the baby they are learning that tatttling isn't working and they can work it out with the one they are having the issue with.
SilverSabre25 07:08 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I disagree with the that because 99.9% of the time they are tattling to have their feelings validated or to just be heard. If they tell the baby, they are venting (validating) their feelings just like we do here.....we vent to someone, instead of telling the offender (DCP's) what our issue is in most cases of simple frustration.

If the situation was one where someone hit or hurt another child then, of course I intervene but if the child is simply tattling for the sake of tattling, they can tell the baby.

My DCK's all speak up to the person they are mad or disagreeing with loooong before they attempt to tattle to me....they tattle because they think they are getting back at the other kid and if they can get the other kid in trouble.... then they feel vindicated, especially if they think I am going to "fix" their issue for them.

If they tell the baby they are learning that tatttling isn't working and they can work it out with the one they are having the issue with.
I agree--kind of. I think it may be situational. "Tommy took my toy" needs help getting the toy back, and "Tommy looked at me/Tommy dropped a crayon/Tommy is drinking his water like a kitty cat" needs told to the baby
familyschoolcare 07:23 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I agree--kind of. I think it may be situational. "Tommy took my toy" needs help getting the toy back, and "Tommy looked at me/Tommy dropped a crayon/Tommy is drinking his water like a kitty cat" needs told to the baby
Yes, exactly. Also, somewhere around 4/5 years of age children can learn and be taught the difference between tattling (being done because someone should get in

trouble) and Telling (being done because someone is getting hurt or is about to be hurt).
frugalmama4 07:34 PM 02-24-2012
I love all these...I have a 3 1/2yr DCB who tattles for every little thing "I mean good lord does no one talk to this kid at home"? I hate tattling "I don't stand for it with my own children...will not put up with it from DCK's.

I'm totally going to Wal-mart and get Mr. Turtle/and will hand all tattles to my 1yr DCB (we call him the Boss) this kid doesn't but up with anyone's crap... including mine

Love it!
Bookworm 12:53 PM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
I love all these...I have a 3 1/2yr DCB who tattles for every little thing "I mean good lord does no one talk to this kid at home"? I hate tattling "I don't stand for it with my own children...will not put up with it from DCK's.

I'm totally going to Wal-mart and get Mr. Turtle/and will hand all tattles to my 1yr DCB (we call him the Boss) this kid doesn't but up with anyone's crap... including mine

Love it!
You know what Frugalmama4, my biggest tattlers are the biggest attention seekers. Now it all makes sense.
MissK 09:08 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Loving the tattle turtle for the dc kids. I may have to try that..with five 3-5y old girls here there can be lots of tattling.

Now my own kids 7 and 9y old girls. I think maybe a poster of Justin Bieber will work. I'll just tell them 'go tell Justin"...lol
hahahaha.....YES!
Tags:tattling
Reply Up