Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do During The Day With DCK's When You AND Your Own Kids Are Sick?
MaritimeMummy 05:07 AM 09-27-2012
Do you go about your regular daily activities or do you have a "down day", even if the other kids aren't sick?

(Btw, I just have to say, who is ignorant enough to still send their children to childcare knowing that everyone is sick, and that even the dad stayed home sick?)
MaritimeMummy 05:21 AM 09-27-2012
DCK #1 was dropped off even after I talked directly to the mom, because she has no back up care and made me feel like crap for putting her in the situation. DCK #2 just showed up at my door seconds after I posted the original post, DCM claimed she never got my message early this morning. She said DCK was sick, too. SERIOUSLY? You're going to try to drop your sick kid off here? I turned her away. I've never turned anyone away at the door before. I didn't feel bad at all. Frig sakes!
EarthyMom 05:26 AM 09-27-2012
I don't really know what to say, as my daycare wont be open until spring. I just wanted to say I am so sorry you dont feel well, have sick kids, and more.

As a human being I can say I suggest a complete down day if no one is feeling well. I cant imagine trying to be perfect when as a provider you informed them you are unwell. I would think it appropriate and wise to rest so you can get better.
rhymia1 05:29 AM 09-27-2012
When I and my kids are sick I close for the day, period. I make it very clear in the interview that they are responsible for back up care for their child and that is one of the downsides of an in home care situation. If someone were to give me flack, I would have to terminate for violating our contract.
lovemykidstoo 05:36 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
When I and my kids are sick I close for the day, period. I make it very clear in the interview that they are responsible for back up care for their child and that is one of the downsides of an in home care situation. If someone were to give me flack, I would have to terminate for violating our contract.
Same here. I always close if my kids or myself are sick. When my kids are sick, they need to rest. They don't need to hear 6 other kids yelling and screaming all day. That is also well explained to people when they interview. I would also make sure that I call and actually talk with someone and not leave a message. That way they can't say that they didn't get your message.
countrymom 05:42 AM 09-27-2012
what kind of sick are you talking about. I never close even for my own kids. My ds had a headache on monday (long story but I knew it was coming) so he stayed home and when he felt better he came downstairs and played with the other kids. When I'm sick (which is rare) I usually get one of my kids to stay home and help out. They grew up in daycare so they know how to cook and clean, they just don't change diapers lol!
Willow 05:43 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:

Same here.
MaritimeMummy 05:45 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Same here. I always close if my kids or myself are sick. When my kids are sick, they need to rest. They don't need to hear 6 other kids yelling and screaming all day. That is also well explained to people when they interview. I would also make sure that I call and actually talk with someone and not leave a message. That way they can't say that they didn't get your message.

Yeah, I called 4 times between 6am and 8:30am. She never answered each time. I sent an email. She claims her power was off and she didn't have a corded phone, so all her phones were dead.

I explain it well during the interview and in my contract. thing is, I am a bit of a pushover in face-to-face situations and this parent knows it. I need to grow a set.
lovemykidstoo 05:51 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
Yeah, I called 4 times between 6am and 8:30am. She never answered each time. I sent an email. She claims her power was off and she didn't have a corded phone, so all her phones were dead.

I explain it well during the interview and in my contract. thing is, I am a bit of a pushover in face-to-face situations and this parent knows it. I need to grow a set.
Sometimes I need to grow a set too LOL! We try to please everyone all the time. I have to say the only time I called sick for myself was when I had pnemonia. NO way I was working with that. I won't call in sick if my kids have a simple cold, but if they have an active flu, I'm not working. I would not want my child here if I were a parent with an active illness in the house.
Meyou 06:10 AM 09-27-2012
Next time don't be afraid to turn them away at the door. Reasonable adults should be able to be contacted by phone, text or email in the morning and if you tried then they chose not to check IMO.

To answer your question I don't close when my kids are sick unless it's recommended by the doctor (I closed for scarlet fever last year) and I have to be very sick (vomiting or high fever) to close. If I'm feeling awful but open I just have an easy day with the kids.
cheerfuldom 06:30 AM 09-27-2012
I dont take sick daycare kids period. But if I am sick or my kids are sick, I almost always stay open.....we have never had a serious illness go thru, its just random colds and stuff.

I will say though that if you are open, you shouldnt be upset when parents use your services. If you are going to be resentful if they come, you might as well close.
countrymom 06:31 AM 09-27-2012

acually the phone thing is true. My main phone when unplugged or power failure will go straight to voice message, which means none of my cordless phones work either. You know how I found out, when I went to florida and unplugged the bar (because it has the tv and the other stuff plugged in) and we thought we just had alot of messages, turned out it shuts off all the phones lol!
SilverSabre25 06:32 AM 09-27-2012
Never feel bad about having a down day even when NO ONE at all is sick! Sometimes we all need a day to relax.
MaritimeMummy 06:51 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
what kind of sick are you talking about. I never close even for my own kids. My ds had a headache on monday (long story but I knew it was coming) so he stayed home and when he felt better he came downstairs and played with the other kids. When I'm sick (which is rare) I usually get one of my kids to stay home and help out. They grew up in daycare so they know how to cook and clean, they just don't change diapers lol!
I'm positive my daughter and myself have throat infections. Husband may, too. Son has a stuffy nose but I've been open all week with him having that. Beside that, we were up all night with both kids and we are all just exhausted.
MaritimeMummy 06:57 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I will say though that if you are open, you shouldnt be upset when parents use your services. If you are going to be resentful if they come, you might as well close.
? Sorry, I'm confused where this comment is directed at.
itlw8 07:10 AM 09-27-2012
I never had that happen usually my kids were sick then I got sick on the weekend. Usually when it is me I struggle through. That will be changing this year.

I had 2 come in with a strange rash and no other symptoms One was my dgs. Then a week later I got sick. I struggled through and Sat morning I went to urgent care. I had crashed. It ws Strep the dr said so how many kids did you expose? Luckily no one else got it. but it sure made me think about the responsibility I had to keep them healthy.
rhymia1 07:44 AM 09-27-2012

In the past I've put a sign on the door saying "Closed due to illness, please do not ring bell or knock!" I had a dc parent who would not answer phones and then show up - I think she thought I would have an issue turning her away and she would get dc. I didn't, but it irritated me that I would just get myself or my kids back to bed and the door bell would ring. So I added to my contract that this may occur if I can't get in touch with anyone. Everyone is aware so no one can say they didn't know. I haven't had to do it in years.
I don't close for sniffles and honestly, I rarely close if I am the one who is ill. The only time I do close is if what I have (usually the stomach bug) makes it impossible for me to adequately care for children. I'm sorry, but when my head is stuck in the bowl, I'm not supervising kids
Oneluckymom 08:05 AM 09-27-2012
When my kids or I am sick I inform the parents of what is going on (if it's serious like the flu). They have always brought their kids to daycare.

By the way I just got over a bad case of strep throat and worked straight through it. However, I had no idea it was strep untill I was well beyond the contagious period and everyone had already been exposed. No one else got it though !

Would I have closed maybe just for fear of it going through daycare. But it was hard because I felt like doggy dodo for a week and there were a good three days where I had ZERO energy and the kids just free played.

For me to close it would have to be serious. I have not closed because of my own kids being sick. They have plenty of oportunity to rest when they are home and I can separate them from the DC if needed.
SquirrellyMama 08:31 AM 09-27-2012
She tried to close but some of the parents apparently weren't taking no for an answer.

Sometimes it is hard to stand up for yourself and can be even harder if you are sick. You don't have the energy to fight. I hope you feel better soon OP.
SunshineMama 08:38 AM 09-27-2012
Do you go about your regular daily activities or do you have a "down day", even if the other kids aren't sick?

(Btw, I just have to say, who is ignorant enough to still send their children to childcare knowing that everyone is sick, and that even the dad stayed home sick?)
I always tell the parents that my kids are sick and they may (or may not, depending on how sick my kids are), choose to bring their kids for the day. If I offer to watch the kids and am open they owe even if they choose to stay home, however if i close they do not pay.

**I am thinking about changing that policy next year to allow for 1-2 sick days paid. I had to close, losing a ton of money for the day, AND had to pay the doctor's copays for 2 sick days because some dcp's brought their sick children to care. In hindsight, it is not fair for me to lose income and actually go in the hole with copays because people bring their sick kids and expose my kids.
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 09-27-2012
It is something that has been discussed very often. I doubt it was directed at any one person, it is for all.

When you are sick and choose to stay open, it is not fair to resent the parents for coming. They assume if you are open that you have decided you are capable. If you feel you are capable, they trust your judgment.

If you are not capable, just don't open.
Mom&Provider 08:49 AM 09-27-2012
For a basic cold no, I won't close, for something more yes! We recently had strep throat here (me and my son), I closed for a couple of days. We also had fevers too, so that was the main reason for closing. I would also close for a stomach bug and have in the past. I have a hard time saying no too...I also feel guilty when I call them to say I am closed!

I find it odd that no one got your messages tho when you did try to call, that would bother me. Maybe ensure you have an alternate way to contact each parent?

If you still feel terrible later today, tell everyone at pick-up you are closed tomorrow...that way they have no excuse and you get your day to rest.
MaritimeMummy 09:05 AM 09-27-2012
We've been having a down day, tv, free play, etc. This DCK is VERY bored. Getting squirrely, in my 15 month old son's face and needing constant reminders to refrain from doing certain destructive things. Every time I need to tell her no to something, she looks at me with this HORRIBLE look (if looks could kill) and says, "me want to go home". I feel bad but I have to remind myself that I tried to close, it's not my fault. She's the kind of child who needs someone to play with her all the time and can't entertain herself. My daughter's been sleeping in her room pretty much all day, and I've been trying to keep her away from my son. So she's mad over that, too.

My husband took our daughter to the doctor. She has strep throat, so does he. That leads me to believe I do, too. Lovely. Son seems on the mend though, that's the only plus!
Cat Herder 09:14 AM 09-27-2012
I feel bad but I have to remind myself that I tried to close, it's not my fault.
I am sorry, hun, but I can't agree with that. Please don't take that badly, I do understand you don't feel well.

I know it is hard to, but it is your responsibility to enforce your policies. If you need to close to protect the kids from getting sick and to care for your own children, then that is what you need to do.

In the future I hope you turn them away at the door if they do not answer their phones. It is 100% acceptable. You would be doing nothing wrong or "mean". Don't let people guilt you. You are stronger than you think.
rhymia1 09:34 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am sorry, hun, but I can't agree with that. Please don't take that badly, I do understand you don't feel well.

I know it is hard to, but it is your responsibility to enforce your policies. If you need to close to protect the kids from getting sick and to care for your own children, then that is what you need to do.

In the future I hope you turn them away at the door if they do not answer their phones. It is 100% acceptable. You would be doing nothing wrong or "mean". Don't let people guilt you. You are stronger than you think.

And you know darn well if her child gets strep, you probably won't hear the end of that I would call mom and have her come get her child as you have strep in the house. And tell her when she picks up that you will be closed tomorrow as well.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 09-27-2012
Next time close.

Call parents, leave voicemail messages for those who don't answer.

Post a big sign on your front door: CLOSED due to illness.

Don't answer the door and for those who didn't check their voicemail before coming and having to be told via the sign on the door will NEVER forget to check it again. guaranteed.

Hope your family is feeling better soon.
cheerfuldom 12:34 PM 09-27-2012
I thought you said you were confused about why kids were being sent to daycare when you and your kids were sick.....but maybe I misunderstood your statement.
cheerfuldom 12:39 PM 09-27-2012
It is something that has been discussed very often. I doubt it was directed at any one person, it is for all.

When you are sick and choose to stay open, it is not fair to resent the parents for coming. They assume if you are open that you have decided you are capable. If you feel you are capable, they trust your judgment.

If you are not capable, just don't open.
yes this is what I was trying to say! thank you

now if you told the parents that you are closed, and they come anyway, now that is rude! My parents are very considerate of responding to messages and such if I close but if I didnt get a response, I too would put a note on the door and not answer it.
cheerfuldom 12:43 PM 09-27-2012

agreed! you dont HAVE to take kids! there is always a choice
MaritimeMummy 12:55 PM 09-27-2012
yes this is what I was trying to say! thank you

now if you told the parents that you are closed, and they come anyway, now that is rude! My parents are very considerate of responding to messages and such if I close but if I didnt get a response, I too would put a note on the door and not answer it.
I guess in the heat of the moment I used sort of a roundabout way of saying that I specifically spoke to DCP #1 about the situation and that I was closing, and that DCP #1 managed to make me feel so badly about it that I ended up staying open, for just her. But I had gone into it with every intention of closing. but, this is that "can't stand up for myself" thing that I am talking about. About how I need to grow a set.

With DCP #2, I left a voice mail the first time and then each time I called after that, I figured it would be very ignorant to continue leaving voice mails after just the one...she has caller display, she could have very plainly seen that I was calling numerous times if she had checked it before she left. Her power being off is no excuse in my opinion. Sure, the cordless phones may not work during an outage. But I know for a fact that she's on the same power grid as me, and our power came back on at 5:30...well before I began calling her.

Anyway, no, I was not bemoaning the fact that my family and I were sick and that the parents had no idea and sent their kids anyway. I was upset because one parent decided that our illnesses and lack of sleep last night was not enough to keep her chlid from day care, and another parent who couldn't be bothered to check her caller ID, her phone message, and her email message (that I know she checks every 15 minutes from her cell phone...would have called THAT or texted but she never gave me the number). And then came with a sick child anyway. I can see why there'd be confusion from my original posts.

Honestly though, can't see that it's my fault that the DCK was bored here today. I tried closing. I was walked over. A little too tired and sick to argue over the phone, to be honest. Maybe I'll just do an automated check-in line. Have parents phone ahead before bringing their kids. Listen to the machine.
"Today is Thursday, September 27th. XX Home Day Care will be CLOSED/OPEN today." That way, it would be their responsibility to call ME and I wouldn't actually have to talk to them, hahahahah
cheerfuldom 01:13 PM 09-27-2012
I guess in the heat of the moment I used sort of a roundabout way of saying that I specifically spoke to DCP #1 about the situation and that I was closing, and that DCP #1 managed to make me feel so badly about it that I ended up staying open, for just her. But I had gone into it with every intention of closing. but, this is that "can't stand up for myself" thing that I am talking about. About how I need to grow a set.

With DCP #2, I left a voice mail the first time and then each time I called after that, I figured it would be very ignorant to continue leaving voice mails after just the one...she has caller display, she could have very plainly seen that I was calling numerous times if she had checked it before she left. Her power being off is no excuse in my opinion. Sure, the cordless phones may not work during an outage. But I know for a fact that she's on the same power grid as me, and our power came back on at 5:30...well before I began calling her.

Anyway, no, I was not bemoaning the fact that my family and I were sick and that the parents had no idea and sent their kids anyway. I was upset because one parent decided that our illnesses and lack of sleep last night was not enough to keep her chlid from day care, and another parent who couldn't be bothered to check her caller ID, her phone message, and her email message (that I know she checks every 15 minutes from her cell phone...would have called THAT or texted but she never gave me the number). And then came with a sick child anyway. I can see why there'd be confusion from my original posts.

Honestly though, can't see that it's my fault that the DCK was bored here today. I tried closing. I was walked over. A little too tired and sick to argue over the phone, to be honest. Maybe I'll just do an automated check-in line. Have parents phone ahead before bringing their kids. Listen to the machine.
"Today is Thursday, September 27th. XX Home Day Care will be CLOSED/OPEN today." That way, it would be their responsibility to call ME and I wouldn't actually have to talk to them, hahahahah
well I hope you are feeling better! Either way, no matter what was happening, your daycare parents can read a sign at the door and leave. Again, there is always an option. Revamp your contract if needed and dont get taken advantage of again! good luck
lovemykidstoo 02:10 PM 09-27-2012
I'm hoping that you and your family are feeling better.

I was just thinking to myself that we get irritated when people bring their kids that are not feeling well and spread the germs around, but yet some stay open when their kids/husbands are not feeling well. Wouldn't we be spreading the germs around to them?
Soccermom 05:14 PM 09-27-2012
I'm positive my daughter and myself have throat infections. Husband may, too. Son has a stuffy nose but I've been open all week with him having that. Beside that, we were up all night with both kids and we are all just exhausted.
The only time I will ever close is when we have the stomach flu..other than that I always stay open. My son has had a fever of 103 for 2 days and I have remained open. I also have a throat infection and have been popping tylenol like candy. I try to save days I need to close for emergencies such as a family member being seriously injured or serious illnesses requiring medical attention. I used to call all the DCPs to give them a heads up that we were sick thinking that the DCPs would not want their child to get sick and would find alternate care (Silly me!) They would always end up dropping the kids off anyway so I stopped doing that.

I once caught the stomach flu and was vomiting every 2 minutes and had to wait almost 2 hours for one DCB to be picked up!

But to answer your question - Yes, we do have a down day. I always stay in my jammies and we do quiet activities such as movie day or coloring. I will take them outside but just let them play while I sit and supervise with a warm cup of tea. The kids normally understand that I am unwell and will be sweet about it.
Tags:sick day - reasons, sick provider, sick provider children
Reply Up