Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing A Child Because I Can't Take Her Younger Brother...
MaritimeMummy 04:14 AM 01-04-2013
The only reason I can't take her younger brother is not actually because I *can't*, but because I *won't* take a child under 12 months. He's 7 months. Close enough, right? I'm VERY CLOSE to letting her know that I will take her brother now, too.

This is a special case because they hired someone to come into their home as a mother's helper to help take care of him while Mom works from home. They've been managing this now since September but now, understandably, it's getting a little ridiculous paying two people, taking one child one place while the other stays home, plus I am pretty sure the the home care giver likely charges more/per hour than I do, as I have worked as a nanny before and I know how much a nanny SHOULD be charging per day. ;-)

I guess I don't really have a question but just needed to vent, it's the first time someone is pulling their child due to financial reasons and I'm just heartbroken because it's not really something I can negotiate on. :-(
LittleD 04:58 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
I guess I don't really have a question but just needed to vent, it's the first time someone is pulling their child due to financial reasons and I'm just heartbroken because it's not really something I can negotiate on. :-(
if you can't, you can't.
I don't like taking them young, but I will accept 8mths and up. Under 12mths makes me nervous!
bunnyslippers 05:01 AM 01-04-2013
If you like the family and enoy working with them, I would probably consider thking the baby this time, as an exception. I was faced with thisa few years ago. It led to me needing to hire an assistant and increase my license from small to large. The year I did it was, by far, my favorite daycare year ever.

If you really feel strongly that you can't take a child younger than 12 months, than stick to your guns! GOod luck ~ tough call!!!!
MaritimeMummy 10:24 AM 01-04-2013
Okay, so I crunched some numbers and in order to keep her and secure her little brother, I could afford to offer a $5 per day sibling discount. My daily rate is $30. At 2 days a week...is $10 less a week for 2 kids a slap in the face to the mom? I think $55 is a steal for 2 kids per day, personally.
daycare 10:37 AM 01-04-2013
The only reason I can't take her younger brother is not actually because I *can't*, but because I *won't* take a child under 12 months. He's 7 months. Close enough, right? I'm VERY CLOSE to letting her know that I will take her brother now, too.

This is a special case because they hired someone to come into their home as a mother's helper to help take care of him while Mom works from home. They've been managing this now since September but now, understandably, it's getting a little ridiculous paying two people, taking one child one place while the other stays home, plus I am pretty sure the the home care giver likely charges more/per hour than I do, as I have worked as a nanny before and I know how much a nanny SHOULD be charging per day. ;-)

I have this issue all of the time... I only take 20month to 5 years of age not enrolled in school. I have lost many families because of this rule and I have also kept many families here.

Right now I have 6 kids with younger siblings that can't attend my program that either go to different daycares or that have a nanny at home.

I have allowed a few kids to start a little younger under these guidelines:

1. they can self feed
2. they have an older sibling enrolled
3. walk unassisted (better be able to at 20months....lol)
4. follow simple directions

If you allow for this family to start their child early, are you ready to allow others to do it as well????

My parents know my rules from day one, so they don't ask. Usually I will tell them when their child is ready to come based off of the developmental abilities of each child when I ask them. If the answer no to any of the above things on my list, then I will say, darn...... Lets see if we can work on that so we can get them in.....

For the families that have left because I can't take their younger siblings, I just let them go....
Meyou 12:09 PM 01-04-2013
Why do you need to offer a discount? You're doing more work taking a baby not less.
MaritimeMummy 12:26 PM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Why do you need to offer a discount? You're doing more work taking a baby not less.
Honestly, where I live, I'm so rural that I'm lucky to have the families that I have. I'd be doing 10x more work going through the advertising, interviewing the one applicant, and i always fear that that ONE person who responds will end up with me having another child like the one I had last spring. Who ended up being autistic but I wasn't told until after I accepted him.

Here, it's not as simple as putting up an ad and watching the responses pour in. it could take MONTHS for ONE slightly interested response.
Meyou 12:51 PM 01-04-2013
But if Mom is interested then you don't have to go through the search. Are you worried that the other person will undercut your price and take both kids?

I just hate to see any provider lose out on income that they deserve to earn. Plus as many ladies on this site have said before it's only a discount to the client until the first time they pay you. From then on it's their regular price. But you will feel it's a discount each and every time they pay.

Working with your local market is always a challenge. My problem locally is it's mostly babies coming into the home daycare scene so I have long periods with open spots waiting for my current babies to get to 2 years old so I can add a new one.
Mom&Provider 01:09 PM 01-04-2013
If you really like this family and want to keep them, I think I'd take her brother. BUT I would not offer a discount, why are you offering to do that? I think it's enough that you are agreeing to take the little one, when it's outside your rules.

ETA: I read the last post and get what you are saying, but it is also saving Mom and Dad time and their daughter a period of adjustment to stick with you...I think that is reason enough, without a discount.
DaisyMamma 06:19 PM 01-04-2013
Personally I wouldn't give a discount. She will be saving $ by not having the other helper. And you will regret giving the discount. If anything I would charge an extra $5 daily until he turns 12 mo.
Also, she has had the helper for 7 months, obviously with the intention of having you take him at 12 mo. What's the sudden change of heart?
countrymom 06:32 AM 01-05-2013
Okay, so I crunched some numbers and in order to keep her and secure her little brother, I could afford to offer a $5 per day sibling discount. My daily rate is $30. At 2 days a week...is $10 less a week for 2 kids a slap in the face to the mom? I think $55 is a steal for 2 kids per day, personally.
thats how much I charge for 2 and believe it or not, thats cheap for my area.
Reply Up