Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Vomiting
rmc20021 07:05 AM 04-26-2013
Ok...3 weeks ago I had one dcb who was running a temp for 3 days. After that he came to dc and dcm said he 'spit' in the toilet but that he did not voimit. Later that day dcb told me he DID vomit but that his mom told him if he told me that he wouldn't be able to come to dc.

Skip a week.

Last week, another dcb started vomiting while at dc and was sent home. He was out the rest of the week and dcm said he had been vomiting every day.

This week, the 2nd dcb returned Monday appearing well and eating well. Then on Wednesday after lunch he began vomiting again and was sent home. Dcm and dcd are saying he hasn't been sick except when he was at my house...uh, what about all those other days last week he was vomiting and had not been at my house.

I believe he re-caught whatever stomach virus he had (and probably what other dcb had 3 weeks ago). Dcm is confused why he only vomited at my house and has even mentioned food allergies as possibly being the cause. I'm doubting it's food allergies because it's doubtful he ate the same thing all those other days last week when he wasn't here.

I'm feeling as though dcf is thinking *I'm* doing something, or not doing something to make their child ill. Other than 3 weeks ago when the one child was sick...nobody else has been ill.
Mom&Provider 08:06 AM 04-26-2013
Does this child have known food allergies? Was something fed to him that was the same both times? DCB has already told you he was in fact sick, when Mom said he was not! I would have approached the parents on that one right away...that's not right and a straight out lie!! What else are they lying about??

IMO these parents are just wanting him back in care so they can carry on with life. Instead of saying he's ill, they are making up an excuse in hopes that you'll just let him back. Unless a food allergy has been confirmed and you know it was from a food he came into contact with at your house, I would exclude (whatever your contract says). I'd suggest to parents they have him tested for food allergies then if that's what they are thinking the issue is. As a parent I would want to know what foods my child couldn't have!?
daycarediva 08:59 AM 04-26-2013
It sounds like Norovirus to me, we had it run through here. A dcb was out with it on Monday/Tuesday last week and in the hospital Monday. Wednesday he came in, was fine for breakfast, threw up lunch. Went home Wednesday and was throwing up until Saturday. Sunday he was fine all day so I told Mom to bring him back Monday. He was fine Monday, ate, played, normal... threw up Tuesday morning before coming. NOW he has severe diahrrea and is out again. The pediatrician dx dcb with norovirus and said it is especially nasty this year. My ds got it, was sick Fri-Tue throwing up daily, fine Wednesay, and then is sick AGAIN today. When I called our pediatrician he said it is "No joke this year" and he has hospitalized more kids with it this year than any previous year.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 04-26-2013
Why are you not asking this mom about what why she told her child to not tell you he actually puked at home and not just spit as she told him to say?!?!

I would be calling her out on that!!

I wouldn't take too kindly to parents encouraging their children to lie to me!
rmc20021 09:26 AM 04-26-2013
The mom of the dcb who was supposedly to have just spit into the toilet is a pathological liar...I've learned that much. He had already been in care for 2 days with just a low grade temp so I figured whatever he may have, everyone was already exposed to it by the time dcb said he vomited. He never vomited here, so then I had a hard time believing him until the second dcb became ill about a week later.

I DID notice both times 2nd dcb vomited here that he had green beans for lunch on both days. IF he had never vomited over the next several days I'd be more inclinded to think it may have been the green beans.

I've talked to mom about keeping a food diary so we may try that and see what happens. If something comes of that, then I will encourage her to take him for allergy testing.

It just seemed odd he continued to vomit for several days so I'm betting on the stomach virus.
cheerfuldom 11:33 AM 04-26-2013
If a parent is questioning me in a way that is passively aggressively implying that I am lying, I will call them on it.

I would tell mom that DCB2 is vomiting. then ask "Do you think I would lie about that?" then just let that awkward pause last as long as need be If she doesn't back track and apologize REAL fast, I would let her know that I would never lie to my daycare parents, especially about a child being ill. If she feels that she cant trust my word, she needs to find a new daycare with a provider she does trust. then let another awkward pause happen
Reply Up