Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Use Under Playground Equipment?
Scout 05:05 PM 03-14-2014
Looking to buy a swing set and I want to box it in so we don't have to worry about mowing around or under it. What can I use for safe padding that is a reasonable price?
CraftyMom 06:13 PM 03-14-2014
It depends on your regulations. Here we need to use 9 inches deep of some sort of mulch, sand, rubber mulch, etc. The width has to come out 6 feet from every point. It's a HUGE amount of mulch for me so I opted not to license my playscape for daycare.
mema 06:19 PM 03-14-2014
I have mulch. I think my area that I have is 24x18 and it cost me just under $100 to fill it. I just add a truck load every Spring. I would love the rubber mulch, but too spendy.
Scout 07:48 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
I have mulch. I think my area that I have is 24x18 and it cost me just under $100 to fill it. I just add a truck load every Spring. I would love the rubber mulch, but too spendy.
Just regular mulch or rubber mulch? I could definitely do regular mulch!
Scout 07:49 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
It depends on your regulations. Here we need to use 9 inches deep of some sort of mulch, sand, rubber mulch, etc. The width has to come out 6 feet from every point. It's a HUGE amount of mulch for me so I opted not to license my playscape for daycare.
Sorry, I should've specified that I am legally unlisenced!
mema 08:07 PM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Scout:
Just regular mulch or rubber mulch? I could definitely do regular mulch!
I have just the regular stuff from the brush dump. Would love rubber, but I don't know that I will be doing this long enough to put in the cost of it.
Jack Sprat 07:09 AM 03-17-2014
We use sand. We have a huge playground and it needed to have 6 inch cushion of some sort. We choose sand as it was most economical. I love the rubber mulch idea but it was very expensive. I rake it twice daily to rid of any poo. So far I have found very little.
melilley 10:58 AM 03-17-2014
I have a part of my yard that we sectioned off with landscape timbers and we purchased playground mulch to fill the area. It was cheaper than regular mulch (I can't remember if it was cheaper because it was on sale or if it was cheaper over all) and is chemical free.
coolconfidentme 11:20 AM 03-17-2014
With all the snow melting, I currently have mud under mine. Hopefully it will be just dirt soon...
Tags:playground surfaces
Reply Up