Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Talk Some Sense into Me
Sugaree 10:25 AM 06-16-2015
I work 9 hour days. Luckily, my kid's center is on my installation so I can drop him off 5 minutes before work and pick him up 5 minutes after I get off. The problem is that, for my own health and sanity, I feel like I need to start going back to the gym. I'm tired of being fat and tired and weak.

Except that I can't stand the idea of either leaving him in care for another hour or picking him up from daycare only to put him in the child care that the gym offers.

Please smack me and tell me that kids don't need to be in care that long.
Thriftylady 10:27 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
I work 9 hour days. Luckily, my kid's center is on my installation so I can drop him off 5 minutes before work and pick him up 5 minutes after I get off. The problem is that, for my own health and sanity, I feel like I need to start going back to the gym. I'm tired of being fat and tired and weak.

Except that I can't stand the idea of either leaving him in care for another hour or picking him up from daycare only to put him in the child care that the gym offers.

I see a compromise coming. Go to the gym 3 days a week?
Crazy8 10:32 AM 06-16-2015
are you a single parent? if not let daddy put him to bed and you head to the gym at 7-8pm? Or go early in the morning?

If you are on your own there are some GREAT at home workouts that require no equipment, maybe start off with that? Or I would just do 40-45 min. a few times a week to start, if you start noticing any behavioral issues maybe reevaluate.
daycarediva 10:32 AM 06-16-2015
Workout from home? Buy a jogging stroller? Some free weights? An exercise DVD? Used elliptical or treadmill? All cheaper than a gym membership.

I see wayyyy too many kids in care 9-10 hours/day, then in after care of some sort (relatives, gym, mall and salon even offer care now).
Sugaree 10:34 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I see a compromise coming. Go to the gym 3 days a week?
That's kind of what I had in mind. I've lifted weights on and off for years and three days a week was my usual routine. I can do cardio at home with the kiddo, but the weights are a problem.
Sugaree 10:36 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
are you a single parent? if not let daddy put him to bed and you head to the gym at 7-8pm? Or go early in the morning?

If you are on your own there are some GREAT at home workouts that require no equipment, maybe start off with that? Or I would just do 40-45 min. a few times a week to start, if you start noticing any behavioral issues maybe reevaluate.
I think I'll have to figure something out for home.

The problem is that while DH could put him to bed, there are no gyms in my hometown. The closest one is a 20ish minute drive.
daycarediva 10:40 AM 06-16-2015
Look into free weight exercises. I lift, and my dh and I have slowly added to our home gym. It's as good as any gym (or better, since it's never crowded and has correct lifting equipment as opposed to rows of treadmills haha) We built it piece by piece starting with dumbbells and added larger items from craigslist or new as the years went on and our need for equipment expanded.

I personally started with StrongLifts 5x5 program, It's 3 days/week (free online if you google for it) it required an Olympic bar and some low weight plates. Dh was my spotter. For the cost of a gym membership monthly, I added plates as my weights went up.
Sugaree 10:45 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Look into free weight exercises. I lift, and my dh and I have slowly added to our home gym. It's as good as any gym (or better, since it's never crowded and has correct lifting equipment as opposed to rows of treadmills haha) We built it piece by piece starting with dumbbells and added larger items from craigslist or new as the years went on and our need for equipment expanded.

I personally started with StrongLifts 5x5 program, It's 3 days/week (free online if you google for it) it required an Olympic bar and some low weight plates. Dh was my spotter. For the cost of a gym membership monthly, I added plates as my weights went up.
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. I've never really been into freeweights, but there's no way I could afford (or have room) for an entire set of Cybex or Nautilus machines at home.
Play Care 10:49 AM 06-16-2015
I'm probably going to be the odd man here, but I would pick up your child and bring him to the sitter at the gym if they have one.
My thought is that at least he will be near you and he will see you engaging in healthy habits. I feel like this is different from say, using a sitter at a salon or that type of thing. You can do 2-3 days a week and see how it goes.
Our local Y has babysitting and the kids who use it seem to love it. It's more "loving supervision" than "structured classroom"
I do home work out daily but its easier since I'm home. I don't know if I'd be as motivated if I didn't get home until 5-6 at night, KWIM?
ColorfulSunburst 11:06 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
your kid needs a healthy and happy mom. If you get 2-3 hours per week for you it could be good for both of you. You also can go to a pool with your kid every weekend and after that let him play in a sport-club's daycare for a half an hour while you have a workout.
Controlled Chaos 11:15 AM 06-16-2015
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
your kid needs a healthy and happy mom. If you get 2-3 hours per week for you it could be good for both of you. You also can go to a pool with your kid every weekend and after that let him play in a sport-club's daycare for a half an hour while you have a workout.
If we could afford a gym membership I would be all over this. Take care of you too
cheerfuldom 02:07 PM 06-16-2015
I would do what you can at home and be with your child.
Reply Up