Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Will NEVER Understand.....
Unregistered 06:54 PM 11-10-2015
After 25 years of home daycare...I will never understand when you are a teacher or a gov't employee....and have extra time off...why you want to dump them at daycare. Yes..we all need to "get things done"....however for 1000's of years parents "got things done..WITH their kids. And..your kids need to know that they are not the center of the universe..all. the.time. They also need to learn and see you doing those everyday mundane chores. They need to learn patience....and how to entertain themselves.

My contract..says I am here for daycare for your children, for you to work. I have 3 teachers family's..and 2 postal employees families....I am only open for SA working families on no school and federal holiday s Yet..all of them wanted to dump their children tomorrow..Veteran's day
to "get things done" AND asked me if they could at 5pm today. NO...go back and r e a d the contract you signed. Why is it I can still get **** done with 7 kids here?! Vent over....and my DH still doesn't get it either!
LysesKids 07:15 PM 11-10-2015
Yeah, I have an Army dad who gets paid day off tomorrow - guess who is still being dropped off so he can run errands? yep little 8 month old dg - he is saying 8am instead of 7am so that's cool... might get lucky and have her picked up early too

I take off the 6 major Federal Holidays, not the 6 Minor ones... of course I get to fly out of here and go to California in 2 weeks also lol. Thanksgiving on the Beach sounds so nice
Play Care 05:44 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
After 25 years of home daycare...I will never understand when you are a teacher or a gov't employee....and have extra time off...why you want to dump them at daycare. Yes..we all need to "get things done"....however for 1000's of years parents "got things done..WITH their kids. And..your kids need to know that they are not the center of the universe..all. the.time. They also need to learn and see you doing those everyday mundane chores. They need to learn patience....and how to entertain themselves.

My contract..says I am here for daycare for your children, for you to work. I have 3 teachers family's..and 2 postal employees families....I am only open for SA working families on no school and federal holiday s Yet..all of them wanted to dump their children tomorrow..Veteran's day
to "get things done" AND asked me if they could at 5pm today. NO...go back and r e a d the contract you signed. Why is it I can still get **** done with 7 kids here?! Vent over....and my DH still doesn't get it either!
How did they react to the "no?"
One of the reasons I started to close even on the minor holidays was that I would always wind up with kids whose parents were off. Always my most challenging kiddos too. Sorry parents, you made them that way, you deal with them!
Mad_Pistachio 06:14 AM 11-11-2015
Parent's perspective:
I am off. my DH is off. our daughter is in daycare.
we have people come clean the furnace today, and it may take a while. I have online classes, and need to study. what my DH is going to do, I've no idea, but he's active enough to find something (he's doing dishes, and it's not even 9 am yet).
here is the thing: I pay my daycare, on time, every week, no questions asked. they are open 6am to 6pm, and I am never late (actually, my go-to pickup time is 4pm), and she is never dropped off earlier than 8am because we all need our beauty sleep. I have never brought her with a fever drugged with Motrin, or any of the crazy stuff parents do, whether out of desperation or because they don't care.
what I do when she is in their care is not their business.
and you know, I tried getting a haircut with a child in tow. never again. I will do that when she is in the care of a teacher she loves.
for thousands of years, people have lived in huge families: 3-5 generations pretty much under the same roof. women would have children and go back to the field next morning.
my parents live far away and work. my DH's Dad died 5 years ago. both his mother and sister are an ocean away, and his stepmother is not to be trusted with little (or big) children. and... that's it. we are on our own, this is why we have this amazing daycare (I will be deeply depressed when she goes to school, I love it this much).
will I go get her if the daycare calls and asks me to? oh, you bet! it may take a few minutes to get there, but I will have to problems doing it. I often get her out early just so we can go to the playground, have a snack together, or shoe shopping. otherwise, she is there 8 to 4 (give or take traffic), and I am not answering to anyone about how I spend this time, be it studying, sleeping, getting a haircut, or taking a cat to the vet. I pay, I drop off/pick up, I follow the rules - you ask no questions about my pastime. after all, I am not asking you what you do when you are closed.

live and let live.
or close for the holidays you want to be closed for.
Controlled Chaos 07:08 AM 11-11-2015
If I wasn't the daycare lady and could drop my kids somewhere today - I would probably take them for at least 1/2 a day. I need get some repairs done on the car, I would run some early holiday errands...I would LOVE some time to get stuff done. I have a professional developent Saturday so I had to find a sitter all day (luckily mil is amazing), we get an hour lunch break during all day Saturday trainings and I am THRILLED to have an hour to run a few errands. Yes parents CAN go grocery shopping with their kids, but isn't it heavenly not to? Just every once in a while? Going to the store without my 2, 3 and 5 year old is parallel to a spa day for me

If you want the day off, take it off. If you are open don't begrudge people coming
Unregistered 07:11 AM 11-11-2015
I have a family with DCM being a teacher. It was a non-school day so she was off along with DCD who took the day off. Their two older SA kids stayed home with them and they still brought the toddler to daycare. The kicker for me was, dcb was the only child in my care that day and they were aware of this! It just made me so sad that they would rather bring him to spend the entire day with ONLY me (no other kids), when the rest of his family was at home spending the day together.
Unregistered 07:19 AM 11-11-2015
I get a lot of random surprise days off. I send my son to daycare about half the time. Last week I was off all week and he went M-W-F. Why? Because had I kept him home for the whole week he would have been a nightmare going back to daycare this week. It's like a reset switch. It's like he forgets all the rules and how to behave at daycare.
I have two weeks off at Christmas, and he will be going about half the time as well for the same reason.
Unregistered 07:41 AM 11-11-2015
I get that once in awhile it's nice to do errands/work around the house without the kids and not having to worry about meltdowns while doing them, or having a day to decompress and enjoy some quite time. Or that it's any of our business what dcps do while they are paying us to care for their kids.

What is sad are the parents who barely spend time with their children at all to the point that they don't even know how to deal with them when they do have them or whose careers take priority over their children. I had two different dcks at different times get hurt at home during the weekend. They came back on Monday and dcps of both dcks were like oh dck fell at the playground, his leg hurts a little but he's fine. For both dcks I had to insist dcps take them to the doctor because they are not fine. For days dcps insisted its just a sprain/dck milking it. Nope after requiring a doctors note to come, both dcks had fractures. If only these dcps took the time to watch and listen to their children the children could have had medical attention earlier. These were children that came from opening to closing, whether dcps worked or not, missed out on spending time with relatives who came to visit from out of state, and dcps would try to dope and drop because they had to work (which I knew wasn't true since we live in a small town).

My dd is in preschool, which I love, and who I was picking up right before nap time, to the point where the teachers "scold" me Her teachers tell me to go enjoy my free time, but I miss my daughter and I know time is slipping by as she grows older. I'm fortunate to have the luxury to be able to spend these times with her in her early years. This is why my husband and I worked so hard to be able to do so financially, because once she goes to kinder I won't be able to just take her out whenever I want to.
Mad_Pistachio 07:46 AM 11-11-2015
the rest of his family was at home spending the day together.
are you absolutely sure they were home enjoying themselves? doctors' offices are often open (checkups, vaccinations, flu shots, who knows what else). or they needed to buy something for older kiddos. no, I understand that the youngster could be left with one of the parents since both are off, but what if that other parent needed to do something around the house or something?

we are all quick to judge others' decisions. truth is, we don't know.
KidGrind 07:50 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
Parent's perspective:
we have people come clean the furnace today, and it may take a while. I have online classes, and need to study. what my DH is going to do, I've no idea, but he's active enough to find something (he's doing dishes, and it's not even 9 am yet).
here is the thing: I pay my daycare, on time, every week, no questions asked. they are open 6am to 6pm, and I am never late (actually, my go-to pickup time is 4pm), and she is never dropped off earlier than 8am because we all need our beauty sleep. I have never brought her with a fever drugged with Motrin, or any of the crazy stuff parents do, whether out of desperation or because they don't care.
and you know, I tried getting a haircut with a child in tow. never again. I will do that when she is in the care of a teacher she loves.
for thousands of years, people have lived in huge families: 3-5 generations pretty much under the same roof. women would have children and go back to the field next morning.
my parents live far away and work. my DH's Dad died 5 years ago. both his mother and sister are an ocean away, and his stepmother is not to be trusted with little (or big) children. and... that's it. we are on our own, this is why we have this amazing daycare (I will be deeply depressed when she goes to school, I love it this much).
will I go get her if the daycare calls and asks me to? oh, you bet! it may take a few minutes to get there, but I will have to problems doing it. I often get her out early just so we can go to the playground, have a snack together, or shoe shopping. otherwise, she is there 8 to 4 (give or take traffic), and I am not answering to anyone about how I spend this time, be it studying, sleeping, getting a haircut, or taking a cat to the vet. I pay, I drop off/pick up, I follow the rules - you ask no questions about my pastime. after all, I am not asking you what you do when you are closed.

live and let live.
Doesn’t see an issue with this perspective!

Yet, if a parent has signed a contractual obligation to only bring their child during work hours they should adhere to it.

It is why I close every holiday and only offer contracted days & hours services.

I have a preference for the type of parents I like to provide services for which includes parents not trying to spend the least amount with their children. Parents who on the day off thinks, “I’m going to spend the extra time with my little one.”

I have a family who’s father is a med student. He had mid terms yesterday. On Monday after studying he picked up his son to have lunch with him. The mother asked me on a day he is not scheduled for care, “Can you take care of him this day?” I didn’t have an issue with it because she respected her contract and asked me if I was available and willing.

At the end of the day, it’s a business. Providers and parents should enter into contracts that works for both of them.
MyAngels 07:52 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
If you want the day off, take it off. If you are open don't begrudge people coming

I do understand why some parents will bring their children to daycare whether they are working or not and I don't begrudge them that. I really don't understand it though. I guess I just felt differently when my kids were little. I really enjoyed spending time with them, even if it was just hanging around the house or running errands.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:55 AM 11-11-2015
I don't think the point of the OP was to say parents can't do what they want when their kid is at daycare. I guess i read it as why, on one of your only days off, do you not want to spend time with your child? If my child was in daycare while I was working all week and I got a day off, she would be staying home with me because I want to see HER. I get that people need time to do errands and it is nice to go grocery shopping alone. I do it on the weekend mornings while my husband stays with our kids. I am like the OP. I had my children so I could be with them as much as possible (why I do daycare so I don't have to put them in one), so a day off would be a great opportunity to see a movie, go shopping together, eat out for lunch at her favorite restaurant, ect. I do agree that if you want them to be forced to stay home with their kid, you should close. I did and we all got to sleep late and eat a big breakfast and in a little bit, we are headed to my dad's farm to see him and help feed the animals and clean out the barn (my kids are so wierd that cleaning a barn is fun for them).

To each their own and I don't mean for my post to sound judgy. I just think that after 17 years of doing this, it can really weigh on your heart to see so many kids in daycare day after day, regardless of whether their parent is working. The only way I have found to "solve" that problem, is to close and not give them the option. They may end up using a relative or paying a babysitter anyway, but at least I don't have to see their little one's face when they are dropped off again knowing mom or dad is not working.
Mad_Pistachio 07:59 AM 11-11-2015
I get that once in awhile it's nice to do errands/work around the house without the kids and not having to worry about meltdowns while doing them, or having a day to decompress and enjoy some quiet time. Or that it's any of our business what dcps do while they are paying us to care for their kids.

What is sad are the parents who barely spend time with their children at all to the point that they don't even know how to deal with them when they do have them or whose careers take priority over their children. I had two different dcks at different times get hurt at home during the weekend. They came back on Monday and dcps of both dcks were like oh dck fell at the playground, his leg hurts a little but he's fine. For both dcks I had to insist dcps take them to the doctor because they are not fine. For days dcps insisted its just a sprain/dck milking it. Nope after requiring a doctors note to come, both dcks had fractures. If only these dcps took the time to watch and listen to their children the children could have had medical attention earlier. These were children that came from opening to closing, whether dcps worked or not, missed out on spending time with relatives who came to visit from out of state, and dcps would try to dope and drop because they had to work (which I knew wasn't true since we live in a small town).

My dd is in preschool, which I love, and who I was picking up right before nap time, to the point where the teachers "scold" me Her teachers tell me to go enjoy my free time, but I miss my daughter and I know time is slipping by as she grows older. I'm fortunate to have the luxury to be able to spend these times with her in her early years. This is why my husband and I worked so hard to be able to do so financially, because once she goes to kinder I won't be able to just take her out whenever I want to.
now, note that I am not talking about bringing a clearly injured child to the daycare. or neglecting a child altogether by plopping him/her at the center for the whole day, just so the parent can be left alone. (why have children at all, then?.. it's a rhetorical question, and needs not be answered.) what I am talking about is the center being open, and me being in my own right as a parent to decide, in a Shakespearean manner, to drop or not to drop when I am off myself. everything else is BS and not worth discussing.

I often see here this phrase, "your daycare, your rules." this is your business, with your rules (as it should be). you don't want parents dropping children off on a particular day/time? good. close. parents are creative, and if they need care when you are closed, they'll find a solution.

but butting into who does what when you are open is, at best, unprofessional (and gossipy at worst).
mommyneedsadayoff 08:08 AM 11-11-2015
now, note that I am not talking about bringing a clearly injured child to the daycare. or neglecting a child altogether by plopping him/her at the center for the whole day, just so the parent can be left alone. (why have children at all, then?.. it's a rhetorical question, and needs not be answered.) what I am talking about is the center being open, and me being in my own right as a parent to decide, in a Shakespearean manner, to drop or not to drop when I am off myself. everything else is BS and not worth discussing.

I often see here this phrase, "your daycare, your rules." this is your business, with your rules (as it should be). you don't want parents dropping children off on a particular day/time? good. close. parents are creative, and if they need care when you are closed, they'll find a solution.

but butting into who does what when you are open is, at best, unprofessional (and gossipy at worst).
This is primarily a daycare provider site, so we can come here and vent about things parents do that bug us. She is well within her right to state an opinion. If you want to drop your kid off at daycare when you are not working, then by all means. And she can judge you for it or have an opinion on it. And honestly, most of us don't care what parents do when they leave their children with us, but we do recognize the parents who continually do it and who actively TRY to spend as little time with their child as possible. It is common in this business. And their usual excuse is "well, I am paying for it..." And that is fine, just as what you do with your child is fine. We are human and most of us are parents and many of us got in this business to stay home with our children, so we know that people need us so they can work. But I agree with the OP, I will never understand leaving your child with someone else so you can go home and sleep or watch tv or go do things they would ove to do with you. Just MY OPINION and I have a right to it, just as you have a right to do with your child as you see fit.
Laurel 08:41 AM 11-11-2015
I am a retired in home provider (20 years).

I now pick my 3 grandkids up (from 3 different schools) just so they can be with family rather than in an institution (even though I like their institutions).

I just want to be with them and enjoy them.

The youngest is 5 and in a center. It closes at 6:30 but I get him at 3:00. I just want him with family rather than there too long even though I like the center.

I think that is the sentiment of the OP.

Believe it or not, there are bad parents. I was picky so didn't have many of those types while doing child care but I do remember one who asked if I could work on New Years Day. When I said No, she was visibly disappointed saying "Oh no, then I can't get drunk on New Year's Eve." I was not sympathetic.
Mad_Pistachio 09:11 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
This is primarily a daycare provider site, so we can come here and vent about things parents do that bug us. She is well within her right to state an opinion. If you want to drop your kid off at daycare when you are not working, then by all means. And she can judge you for it or have an opinion on it. And honestly, most of us don't care what parents do when they leave their children with us, but we do recognize the parents who continually do it and who actively TRY to spend as little time with their child as possible. It is common in this business. And their usual excuse is "well, I am paying for it..." And that is fine, just as what you do with your child is fine. We are human and most of us are parents and many of us got in this business to stay home with our children, so we know that people need us so they can work. But I agree with the OP, I will never understand leaving your child with someone else so you can go home and sleep or watch tv or go do things they would ove to do with you. Just MY OPINION and I have a right to it, just as you have a right to do with your child as you see fit.
actually, I understand being bugged with about 95% of what parents do. I get it, really. (I was a nanny, remember? parents do the dumbest things sometimes, and the concequences are often blamed on the provider.) and I have learned quite a bit from reading the posts here and had a few lightbulb-goes-on moments.
probably, this is the first thing that I don't get. we are all adults, and we make decisions based on what we got on hand. if a provider decided to stay open on a federal holiday, and a parent decided to bring a child, then I don't really see a conflict here (well, yeah, given the parent pays on time, and the child is not sick as a dog, and drop off and pick up times are appropriate. I cannot believe I have to add this).
and I, too, don't get staying home to watch TV or denying a child an activity s/he would enjoy with a parent (again, sleeping is another issue, and having had my share of sleep deprivation, I can't bring myself to blame a parent for wanting to take a nap when child is not around. happy mother picking up from daycare is way better than a zombie for a Mom all day. ask my daughter).
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:

Yet, if a parent has signed a contractual obligation to only bring their child during work hours they should adhere to it.

At the end of the day, it’s a business. Providers and parents should enter into contracts that works for both of them.
Agree 1000% with both these statements.

This entire issue/situation is something that should be discussed (as deeply as necessary) during the interview.

If I have a parent that is bound by the law (such as those that participate with the state assistance program) to only use care when at work then that parent can use child care ONLY when they are working.

If they are not bound by any rules such as the example I mentioned above then I do not dictate when they can and/or can't use services.

Otherwise, I am fairly picky about the types of families I enroll.

I also don't think it's a guarantee that just because a provider thinks the parent should spend their day off with the child that the parent actually does. If a parent really doesn't want to, they won't.

I do only what works for me and my program. What others do, is up to them. But the bottom line is that we all do what ever we need to do to make ourselves happy. If caring for a child who has a parent off work upsets you then do not provide services on that day.

Like many other controversial topics, it really is that simple.
Mad_Pistachio 09:20 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I do remember one who asked if I could work on New Years Day. When I said No, she was visibly disappointed saying "Oh no, then I can't get drunk on New Year's Eve." I was not sympathetic.
oh, crap. sorry.
I like spending the New Year's night with my family (all of it). we were up until 3 am last time (mostly because the kiddo had a badly runny nose and couldn't sleep). it turned out to be quite a blast, if I say so myself.

I now get the frustration. we parents do stupid things. a lot.
Mad_Pistachio 09:24 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I have a parent that is bound by the law (such as those that participate with the state assistance program) to only use care when at work then that parent can use child care ONLY when they are working.
live and learn. I had no idea such thing even existed.
Thriftylady 09:31 AM 11-11-2015
oh, crap. sorry.
I like spending the New Year's night with my family (all of it). we were up until 3 am last time (mostly because the kiddo had a badly runny nose and couldn't sleep). it turned out to be quite a blast, if I say so myself.

I now get the frustration. we parents do stupid things. a lot.
Quite a few years ago, I had a child whose parents were not together. They never could get straight who was going to pick him up. One day I started calling dad (who child lived with) and couldn't get a hold of him on his cell. So I started calling mom, grandma, every number I had because it was past closing. Come to find out, dad had went to the bar after work for a beer, and by 7 PM was still there.

That is why we get irritated, it isn't the parent who wants an occasional day off to themselves that is an issue for me. For me it is the parents who just flat out don't want to be responsible and care for the children they CHOOSE to have. I get everyone needs a day to rest, but parents need to remember that their childcare provider could use a break once in awhile also. The parents who do realize that are not the ones we complain about. Also for home providers, it is much different than in a center. If I work in a center I probably get a break during the day, as in in home I don't. I work from first arrival to last pick up. I also can't just take a day off when I want to, there is no other teacher to cover for me.
TXhomedaycare 09:35 AM 11-11-2015
Amen
Before I was a provider my youngest was in a center and if I got off early I picked him up early or if I was off he was off. I felt sorry for the kids that I knew were at the center all day not matter the reason. I also always felt terrible leaving my son in care but I don't think I am the average mom. I truly take responsibility for everything I do or am given . Since I was blessed with kids I feel it is my responsibility to raise them and be with them. After having my second child and only having 6 weeks maternity leave I quit my job after 2 months and opened my home daycare so that I could be home with my kids. I know everyone has different circumstances but if you want to be with your child you will find a way just like if you don't want to be with them. I feel parents have come up with a grand list of excuses of why putting their child in care is better than spending time with them to make themselves feel comfortable with their decision (I pay for it, they need to be with kids their age). I don't understand why parents don't want to be with their kids because I am hard wired a different way and I fought, sacrificed and was desperate to be with mine.
Play Care 09:40 AM 11-11-2015
Agree 1000% with both these statements.

This entire issue/situation is something that should be discussed (as deeply as necessary) during the interview.

If they are not bound by any rules such as the example I mentioned above then I do not dictate when they can and/or can't use services.

Otherwise, I am fairly picky about the types of families I enroll.

I also don't think it's a guarantee that just because a provider thinks the parent should spend their day off with the child that the parent actually does. If a parent really doesn't want to, they won't.

I do only what works for me and my program. What others do, is up to them. But the bottom line is that we all do what ever we need to do to make ourselves happy. If caring for a child who has a parent off work upsets you then do not provide services on that day.

Like many other controversial topics, it really is that simple.

For the most part I'm pretty clear that what a parent does when I am working and they drop their kid off doesn't matter to me. But this is an attitude that came about well after I started providing care. Because back in the day, I had parents lying about having to work in order for me to stay open on holidays. I didn't take time off because I wanted to be as reliable as possible, I didn't charge for when I had to close because I worried parents would think it was "unfair"

Once I started closing when I wanted/needed to be closed, getting paid regardless, etc I started not caring about what parents did.
And as a parent I do get it - DH and I have taken personal days when our kids had school and had "dates" And there was a time when my older DD was 3 that I would have given my right arm to ship her off for a day (or two )

But today, my whole family is home (DH is a teacher, schools are all closed) and we are enjoying a bonus family day

And all this being said - the OP said she reminded the parents that she would not be avalible for care. And I think she has the right to be annoyed that her contract was questioned ("I know it says no, but can we do it anyway?" )
Unregistered 09:48 AM 11-11-2015
are you absolutely sure they were home enjoying themselves? doctors' offices are often open (checkups, vaccinations, flu shots, who knows what else). or they needed to buy something for older kiddos. no, I understand that the youngster could be left with one of the parents since both are off, but what if that other parent needed to do something around the house or something?

we are all quick to judge others' decisions. truth is, we don't know.
For me, it has nothing to do with "I could have the day off if dck weren't here" or "how are parents choosing to spend their day off without child". It's just that I feel bad for kids whose parents don't seem to want to spend time with them when given the chance to have that extra opportunity. I have be told by dcp, dck has not gone on family outings to the zoo, amusement parks, long weekend getaways, and was not a part of a big family vacation, because it's too much of a hassle to include him. Instead, dck has been with me for the day/week while they take off to do these things with their older kids. Being a childcare provider and parent, this just breaks my heart. I can't imagine excluding one of my children from family plans. Of course, I realize there are certain things that older children can do that younger ones can't, but then it should be made a point to come up with things to do that include the entire family. I understand that he is young, but he IS part of the family.

On the other hand, it is refreshing to have parents who want to come pick up their children early or simply take a day off of work to keep their kids home to spend extra time with them. Afterall, children grow quickly and once they are grown, you can never get that time back.
NeedaVaca 09:59 AM 11-11-2015
Parent's perspective:

live and let live.
The OP stated that her contract is for working hours only. If the parents signed the contract they need to follow the policy. If the parent doesn't agree with the policy they should find a different provider.
Josiegirl 10:00 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

I do understand why some parents will bring their children to daycare whether they are working or not and I don't begrudge them that. I really don't understand it though. I guess I just felt differently when my kids were little. I really enjoyed spending time with them, even if it was just hanging around the house or running errands.
Most of the time I don't give a hoot if they bring their child or not. Clearly some kids, though, are missing their mom or dad and know they're home. Plus I look at it from this angle...kids grow up so fast and you'll never be able to recapture all that lost time. Take it from someone whose 9 month old baby boy died many years ago and whose 3 other babies are now grown and gone. You will never ever get those moments back.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 11-11-2015
Another good thread with some really good input

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...=vacation+kids
Nisaryn 10:07 AM 11-11-2015

Well said. This is my perspective exactly! I am open 6am to 6pm and whatever parents do during that time is THEIR business not mine. They pay me to be open and care for their kids...not to care about what they do all day. I was open today because even though I am a veteran and my hubby is Navy...he is deployed right now and so doesn't get the day off anyway...and if they did? I don't care! All of my current families are civilian and DONT get the day off...it just felt weird to be closed in the middle of the week and my hubby not even being here.
daycarediva 10:22 AM 11-11-2015
I have a family with DCM being a teacher. It was a non-school day so she was off along with DCD who took the day off. Their two older SA kids stayed home with them and they still brought the toddler to daycare. The kicker for me was, dcb was the only child in my care that day and they were aware of this! It just made me so sad that they would rather bring him to spend the entire day with ONLY me (no other kids), when the rest of his family was at home spending the day together.
This bothered me so much I made a policy on it. If sibling is home, so is other sibling. I had one family who would pick up the girl and leave the boy. They said it was for 1:1 time. COOL. They NEVER took boy and left girl though. They always TOLD girl they were doing something fun- boy was devastated every time. I spoke to parents. Didn't help. Changed my policies. They just stopped picking up to do fun things. I can't MAKE parents want to spend time with their children. Funny thing though- boy was a doll, girl was a snot most of the time.

I really interview and weed out non parenting parents. That being said, I have a full house today and my parents are mostly off of work. They RARELY do this, but I don't have a working stipulation- I have had SAHM children enrolled before. Some have dentist and drs appts, some are deep cleaning their house, one has a car repair appt, one is christmas shopping.

*shrug* doesn't bother me- or I would have a policy about it.
Ariana 10:24 AM 11-11-2015
I only provide part time care so I am very used to parents dropping kids off for some "me time"! Most of my clients are SAHM's or WAHM or matt leave moms. I think being at home with your child 24/7 warrants some "me time" but when you are at work all day you should want to see and be with your kids. This is why I am always closed on holidays and I take a lot of vacation. This year I am taking care of 3 kids and 2 of them are teachers kids. I knew that if I didn't take the whole 2 weeks off over Christmas to coincide with their vacation I would need to be open for care. So I just took it off.

You have to do what works for you. It is definitely unfortunate that so many children spend 10 or more hours a day in care with a "stranger" and that their parents want nothing to do with them but in the end there is not a thing you can do to prevent it from happening. I guess my view now is that at least they are not around their parents who don't want to be around them and they are in a place where they are being cared for. Give those kids the extra hugs, they really need it.
daycarediva 10:55 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I only provide part time care so I am very used to parents dropping kids off for some "me time"! Most of my clients are SAHM's or WAHM or matt leave moms. I think being at home with your child 24/7 warrants some "me time" but when you are at work all day you should want to see and be with your kids. This is why I am always closed on holidays and I take a lot of vacation. This year I am taking care of 3 kids and 2 of them are teachers kids. I knew that if I didn't take the whole 2 weeks off over Christmas to coincide with their vacation I would need to be open for care. So I just took it off.

You have to do what works for you. It is definitely unfortunate that so many children spend 10 or more hours a day in care with a "stranger" and that their parents want nothing to do with them but in the end there is not a thing you can do to prevent it from happening. I guess my view now is that at least they are not around their parents who don't want to be around them and they are in a place where they are being cared for. Give those kids the extra hugs, they really need it.
Not to be argumentative at all, but why doesn't a working Mom deserve 'me' time? Being a working Mom is MUCH more difficult and stressful than being a SAHM, imho. I get "me" fairly often (weekly or biweekly) don't feel bad about it at all, either.
Thriftylady 11:00 AM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Not to be argumentative at all, but why doesn't a working Mom deserve 'me' time? Being a working Mom is MUCH more difficult and stressful than being a SAHM, imho. I get "me" fairly often (weekly or biweekly) don't feel bad about it at all, either.
I personally have finally learned that everyone deserves some "me time". I don't mind that so much. DCM the other day was off worked and asked if her girls could ride the bus here because she had a hair appointment and wasn't sure it would be done in time. She promised to be here as soon as possible. And it was time she is paying for anyway. Point is, she asked. Her asking made her feel much better to me than just dropping them in the morning taking the whole day off and pretending she was at work. I guess the honesty just means a ton to me, that and the fact she ASKED. I felt respected I guess instead of just dumped on. I took my first me time two years ago (after DD turned 15) for a weekend, and felt guilty the whole time, but I am getting better at it.
laundrymom 11:04 AM 11-11-2015
I have four here who have parents not at work. It doesn't bother me. They need some time occasionally to poo without an audience. However, recently I had a family who was with me for six years. Two children. They only missed for illness. Period. They were here from contracted open to contracted close ever single day. Didn't matter weather, vacations, birthdays, nothing. They actually dropped off on ever single child's bdays that were a normal care day. They posted pics of them w family and friends at the zoo. Museums. Chucky cheese. You name it. Without kids.
They just didn't enjoy their kids.
I felt sorry for them. Still do.
These are the kinds of parents who bug me. The ones who treat the kids as an afterthought. A burden. And yes. There are plenty. And those kids... Those ones who never will know the UNCONDITIONAL LOVE of a mommy or daddy, those kids are the ones I love the most. They deserve to feel treasured. Adored. Valued.
Michael 11:35 AM 11-11-2015

Mad_Pistachio 12:20 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Quite a few years ago, I had a child whose parents were not together. They never could get straight who was going to pick him up. One day I started calling dad (who child lived with) and couldn't get a hold of him on his cell. So I started calling mom, grandma, every number I had because it was past closing. Come to find out, dad had went to the bar after work for a beer, and by 7 PM was still there.
I have a story back, from my nanny history.
in 2006, I got hired into an amazing Indian family. their oldest was 3.5 (about same age as my daughter is now), and youngest was 4 months, both girls. the oldest one went to preschool 9am to 12pm (socialization and all that), and I was hired to take her there in the morning, be with the youngest, pick the oldest up at noon, and be with both until a parent comes home.
my first day. I took the oldest to preschool, came back, did what needed to be done with the youngest, she fell asleep. their Mom called (understandable anxiety: it's her first day, too), I reported that snowflakes are fine, and we are all good... and I evidently didn't hang up (home phone, different buttons) and left the handset on the table.
time to get the oldest from preschool - and I am dead stuck in traffic with no way out because there was some bad accident down the road. I have a baby in the car, the other one is stuck in preschool, and I am trapped.
their Mom calls, "where are you? are you on the phone? it gives a busy signal!" - "no, I am in the car, there was an accident, I am stuck!"
somehow, I got out. I picked the poor snowflake up at least half an hour later than I had to (preschool called the parents freaking out). I thought I was SOOOO fired! I was even rehearsing how I would not accept the payment for that day: I didn't think I deserved it.
I was forgiven. they did check the traffic news, and yes, the accident was confirmed (bad, with injuries and all kinds of nasty). and the phone was found on the table, with "Talk" button still on (the Dad said, "ah, those stupid phones!") I stayed with that family until they moved out of state the following year. but honestly, if they fired me, I'd understand: their children are in my care, and I am pretty much nowhere to be found.
and probably, in place of a parent, I'd let that nanny go. at the very least, she brings bad karma.

yeah, people do stupid things. it gets sad when it's children who suffer.
Mad_Pistachio 12:27 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
The OP stated that her contract is for working hours only. If the parents signed the contract they need to follow the policy. If the parent doesn't agree with the policy they should find a different provider.
okay, the "I am open so you can work" is a little too vague of a statement, at least for me as a parent. what qualifies as work? is going to an office work? is cleaning/cooking work? or is it only work when I do it for someone who pays me for it? I study online, at home - is that work? questions can go on and on. I would need someone stating that to be a little more specific.
yes, you are right, when a parent doesn't like the policy, they need another daycare. but if I am handed a policy with the "work" clause in it, I'd flood a provider with questions.
Mad_Pistachio 12:33 PM 11-11-2015
I have be told by dcp, dck has not gone on family outings to the zoo, amusement parks, long weekend getaways, and was not a part of a big family vacation, because it's too much of a hassle to include him. Instead, dck has been with me for the day/week while they take off to do these things with their older kids.
you see, this is that other side of the stick I don't get, either. going to the zoo without my kiddo? only to the gift shop to get some stones, maybe (but I don't need a ticket for that). I am just really into semi-precious gems, and our zoo has a whole box of those to choose from. otherwise, it would be pretty boring. and you are right, it's not fair to the little one to be excluded just because he's little. as a solution, they can take a sitter for him with them on vacation. (rates can be negotiated. I did that once. I mean, I was the sitter.) but plopping him at your home for a week so the rest can go somewhere is just mean.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:24 PM 11-11-2015
Wow, whoever said that working moms is a harder job than SAHM is very ignorant. I think both are tough and I have done both. They both come with pros and cons. That is the epitome of the "mommy wars" being waged. When I wrked outside the home, I made sure to spend as much time with my kids as I could, laundry be damned. Working from home, I spend a majority of time with my kids, yet laundry and housework is almost expected, because we are at home. I am sorry, but working moms get far more respect, imo, than sahm moms. It used to be the opposite and I imagine the tide will turn and the opposite will be true again. We are all moms (and dads) and we all do the best we can. But I didn't have kids to have someone else raise them, so as the OP states, if I had my kids in daycare and got the day off, it would not even be a question to keep them home and spend the day with them. As someone else stated, I pick my clients based on this as well. Feel free to do what you like, but I want parents who only leave their kids with me beacuse they HAVE to, not because they need ME time. My user name is Mommyneedsadayoff, because it is a play on the fact that I don't get a day off and I don't want one. My mother died when I was young and if I could get one more day with her, I would do anything for it! I may sound harsh or emotional, but I WILL NOT regret the amount of time I spend with my kids, because it is such a short life and it could be over tomorrow. Whether they want me there or not, I will be there or at least standing in the shadows for when they need me. If I die tomorrow, they will have had as much time with me as possible and that is all I care about. I can get my haircut and catch up on sleep in the future. Again, sorry for the intensity, but I feel so strongly about being with your child as much as you can. Everything else can wait and losing my mom really sealed that for me.
daycare 01:26 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:
lol this made me laugh...

I don't care anymore, I used to, but I don't want anyone to judge me, I won't judge them.

If you don't want to spend the day with your kid when you have it off, who am I to judge you.

If I am open, I expect kids to be here. If I want a day off, then I schedule one in to my calendar and take it.

I tried years ago to do the whole if you are not working keep your kids home, but then I am pretty sure parents just lied to me about their work schedules.
hope 01:44 PM 11-11-2015
I understand parents can have "me time" and I normally am pretty cool about kids being here if parents say they need that time. I schedule my hours as I want and dont mind taking a day here and there for myself.
Over the years I have heard many parents make remarks about how hard it is to leave their children to go to work, how much they miss them and how lucky I am to be home with my children. I chose to be home with my children. These same parents are the ones that find every opportunity to leave their children in daycare or with relatives. And when their children have issues related to time not spent with their parents, All i here is how much the parents miss them and want to spend time with them.
Laurel 01:44 PM 11-11-2015
I'm gonna have to disagree that being a working mom is much harder than a SAHM mom. I was a SAHM to my 3 before I did childcare. I was also a 'working' mom but not until they were in school all day so maybe I don't have a complete picture there BUT I had 3 children about 3-4 years apart 24/7 until they all reached school age. My mom did watch them occasionally but not that often. Mostly in the evening so my husband and I could go out but not really in the daytime. My time was more flexible then doing childcare because I could take them shopping with me (that was tough sometimes) but at one point I actually got a part time job in the evening (my husband watched them) just to see some adults for a while. Going to work isn't always a hardship. Not to mention the money. I knew how to pinch a penny back then.
daycare 01:50 PM 11-11-2015
for some people staying home all day is more difficult than going to a job and vice versa.

I don't think that one is harder than the other so to speak, I think it all depends on the person and what they are or are not able to handle every day.

I just think that most mothers who work are judge for having kids and then not caring for them because they are trying to have the best of both worlds, both being a mother and having a career.
Blackcat31 01:52 PM 11-11-2015
Wow, whoever said that working moms is a harder job than SAHM is very ignorant.
The person that said that is not at all ignorant.

I wouldn't call you ignorant just because we haven't shared the same experiences or because I may have a different opinion.
childcaremom 01:54 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

I don't care anymore, I used to, but I don't want anyone to judge me, I won't judge them.

If I am open, I expect kids to be here. If I want a day off, then I schedule one in to my calendar and take it.
This about sums up how I feel.

Just make sure the chicklets are picked up on time. Because if you are late AND you had the day off, fur will fly.
daycare 01:56 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This about sums up how I feel.

Just make sure the chicklets are picked up on time. Because if you are late AND you had the day off, fur will fly.
lol fur will fly.....ahahhahahah that super funny!!!
midaycare 02:15 PM 11-11-2015
Parent's perspective:

live and let live.
2 of my dcp's were off today and still dropped off. It just doesn't bother me.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:52 PM 11-11-2015
The person that said that is not at all ignorant.

I wouldn't call you ignorant just because we haven't shared the same experiences or because I may have a different opinion.
Being ignorant simply means you lack awareness of a situation. If the poster had said, in their experience, it was easier being a sahm, versus a working mom, I would not have said it. They said it was their opinion that working moms have it harder. My sister has 3 kids and has never stayed home with them. She says, in her opinion, working moms have it tougher than stay at home moms. She still takes her kids to daycare when she is not working and tries to pawn them off to me when daycare is not an option, but according to her OPINION, she has it tougher than I do. I actually work and sah with my kids. I chose a job that allows me to do that. I have worked outside the home and I have been in daycare for many years. I think BOTH are tough. I would never say it is harder to work outside the home or vice versa. No matter what we do as parents, it can be tough and you will always question your decision. The earlier poster said she thinks it is harder to be a working mom than to be a sahm. I disagree and I think both situations are tough. I happen to like the above poster and feel no ill will, but is this not a discussion board where we can all agree and disagree? I am ignorant of many things and don't claim to know everything, but I have been a working mom a d a sahm (working) mom and I cannot stand the mommy wars of "I have it tougher than you..." This whole post is about parents who have the day off and still keep their kids in daycare. I disagree with that, but I certainly do not begrudge parents who NEED to use daycare so they can work. It pays my bills. If they choose to use daycare when they don't work, then by all means.
Blackcat31 03:20 PM 11-11-2015
Being ignorant simply means you lack awareness of a situation. If the poster had said, in their experience, it was easier being a sahm, versus a working mom, I would not have said it. They said it was their opinion that working moms have it harder. My sister has 3 kids and has never stayed home with them. She says, in her opinion, working moms have it tougher than stay at home moms. She still takes her kids to daycare when she is not working and tries to pawn them off to me when daycare is not an option, but according to her OPINION, she has it tougher than I do. I actually work and sah with my kids. I chose a job that allows me to do that. I have worked outside the home and I have been in daycare for many years. I think BOTH are tough. I would never say it is harder to work outside the home or vice versa. No matter what we do as parents, it can be tough and you will always question your decision. The earlier poster said she thinks it is harder to be a working mom than to be a sahm. I disagree and I think both situations are tough. I happen to like the above poster and feel no ill will, but is this not a discussion board where we can all agree and disagree? I am ignorant of many things and don't claim to know everything, but I have been a working mom a d a sahm (working) mom and I cannot stand the mommy wars of "I have it tougher than you..." This whole post is about parents who have the day off and still keep their kids in daycare. I disagree with that, but I certainly do not begrudge parents who NEED to use daycare so they can work. It pays my bills. If they choose to use daycare when they don't work, then by all means.
Thanks, but I am fully aware of what ignorant means.

She doesn't have to pour out her whole life story to have a valid point or not.

Her opinion may very well be based on her actual experiences, therefore making her very knowledgeable and educated on what it's like to be BOTH a sahm and a working mom.

Liking or not liking the poster has nothing to do with it and you do have every right to agree or disagree with others but calling her ignorant when you yourself do not know her experiences is not okay.

I also understand what this thread is about and happen to have my own opinions and thoughts about it but I certainly won't call anyone ignorant just because I don't agree.

What's hard for one person isn't hard for others. What's easy for one isn't easy for another. We all have our own experiences, our own thoughts, actions and reactions but I don't judge others 'personally' because of those things.

My issue was that you could have simply disagreed with her statement. You could have said "I disagree that working moms have it harder" But instead you said "Wow, whoever said that working moms is a harder job than SAHM is very ignorant".

To me that is an attack on the person not the opinion.
Unregistered 03:23 PM 11-11-2015

I really don't care if dcps drop off their child when I am open. I close when I want and actually have a lot of closures, so it doesn't bother me. And I wasn't talking about dcps like you who balance your time and time spent with your children, and who value their children.

I was sharing my opinion and experience regarding dcps who bring their child everyday regardless of anything else, and lament to me about not having enough time with their children and wondering why their child is acting a certain way, or can't even tell from their behavior that something is not right and they need to see a doctor. These are the dcps who I wonder why they even had children in the first place. This is what I don't understand.
Mad_Pistachio 05:47 PM 11-11-2015
dcps who bring their child everyday regardless of anything else, and lament to me about not having enough time with their children and wondering why their child is acting a certain way, or can't even tell from their behavior that something is not right and they need to see a doctor.
is it too rude to say that it would be helpful to see that in the original post? sorry, did not mean to offend or anything.
now, THIS is where I am right there with you. especially with taking children to daycare, come hell or high waters, and then complaining about not spending enough time with them

got mine out early today: she wanted to go to Dollar Tree and get some LED candles. sometimes I wish that store didn't have so much stuff at a child's eye level and within her arm's reach... oh, well. it's $1.
Mad_Pistachio 05:54 PM 11-11-2015
okay, the dispute about working moms vs. non-working moms, and who has it harder has gotten old centuries ago... I've been both. both were hard in their own way. it's not the degree of hardship, it's the kind: working mom probably misses the child or feels like the child is her second job (I mean, depending on the child and mother); stay-at-home mom may feel like she lives in the Groundhog day, and her job is 24/7, and every day is the same, and no one cares. I did not find one scenario easier than the other, it's a matter of preference: do I want that hardship or do I want this one? and which one can I afford to have?

can we just all get along? I hate mommy wars.
midaycare 06:14 PM 11-11-2015
okay, the dispute about working moms vs. non-working moms, and who has it harder has gotten old centuries ago... I've been both. both were hard in their own way. it's not the degree of hardship, it's the kind: working mom probably misses the child or feels like the child is her second job (I mean, depending on the child and mother); stay-at-home mom may feel like she lives in the Groundhog day, and her job is 24/7, and every day is the same, and no one cares. I did not find one scenario easier than the other, it's a matter of preference: do I want that hardship or do I want this one? and which one can I afford to have?

A million times, yes! I've been both, too. Both are difficult.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:37 PM 11-11-2015
Thanks, but I am fully aware of what ignorant means.

She doesn't have to pour out her whole life story to have a valid point or not.

Her opinion may very well be based on her actual experiences, therefore making her very knowledgeable and educated on what it's like to be BOTH a sahm and a working mom.

Liking or not liking the poster has nothing to do with it and you do have every right to agree or disagree with others but calling her ignorant when you yourself do not know her experiences is not okay.

I also understand what this thread is about and happen to have my own opinions and thoughts about it but I certainly won't call anyone ignorant just because I don't agree.

What's hard for one person isn't hard for others. What's easy for one isn't easy for another. We all have our own experiences, our own thoughts, actions and reactions but I don't judge others 'personally' because of those things.

My issue was that you could have simply disagreed with her statement. You could have said "I disagree that working moms have it harder" But instead you said "Wow, whoever said that working moms is a harder job than SAHM is very ignorant".

To me that is an attack on the person not the opinion.
I apologize if my wording was offensive or hurtful to the previous poster. When someone says being a working parent is harder than a sah parent or vice versa and they do not preface it with "in my experience", it makes my back stiffen. I was not intending to attack the person (who I don't know), but I do think that saying either is one can be hurtful. It is an old debate and, imo, pits women against women. Again, sorry if my words were hurtful to the poster. I just know of many people have opinions, but no experience, so I was referring to those types of people. If the previous poster has worked outside the home and found it to be MUCH more difficult and stressful, then that is her right to feel that way and it is my right to disagree, as I have done both and found them to both have a different set of challenges. Either way, you have to do what makes you happy and do what is best for your family.

I agree and that is all I was trying to say, just not as elequently as you apparently
daycarediva 03:14 AM 11-12-2015
Wow, whoever said that working moms is a harder job than SAHM is very ignorant. I think both are tough and I have done both. They both come with pros and cons. That is the epitome of the "mommy wars" being waged. When I wrked outside the home, I made sure to spend as much time with my kids as I could, laundry be damned. Working from home, I spend a majority of time with my kids, yet laundry and housework is almost expected, because we are at home. I am sorry, but working moms get far more respect, imo, than sahm moms. It used to be the opposite and I imagine the tide will turn and the opposite will be true again. We are all moms (and dads) and we all do the best we can. But I didn't have kids to have someone else raise them, so as the OP states, if I had my kids in daycare and got the day off, it would not even be a question to keep them home and spend the day with them. As someone else stated, I pick my clients based on this as well. Feel free to do what you like, but I want parents who only leave their kids with me beacuse they HAVE to, not because they need ME time. My user name is Mommyneedsadayoff, because it is a play on the fact that I don't get a day off and I don't want one. My mother died when I was young and if I could get one more day with her, I would do anything for it! I may sound harsh or emotional, but I WILL NOT regret the amount of time I spend with my kids, because it is such a short life and it could be over tomorrow. Whether they want me there or not, I will be there or at least standing in the shadows for when they need me. If I die tomorrow, they will have had as much time with me as possible and that is all I care about. I can get my haircut and catch up on sleep in the future. Again, sorry for the intensity, but I feel so strongly about being with your child as much as you can. Everything else can wait and losing my mom really sealed that for me.
I'm the ignorant one. Maybe you need some "me time". I seriously get the debate and understand the need for it, but this felt much more like an attack.
If you would kindly go back and reread my post I said....

Originally Posted by :
I've never been a SAHM because I always worked. I worked FT evenings and homeschooled a sick dd, while transporting her back and forth to dialysis with an autistic toddler in tow (and him back and forth to therapy) then worked all evening.

SOOOO, let me say it again, IN MY EXPERIENCE (in lieu of opinion, since you seem to prefer one word over the other). BEING A WORKING MOM WAS HARDER.

Why was it harder? Because after doing EVERYTHING a SAHM would do, after alllll that... I HAD TO GO TO WORK. I had to leave my kids with a meal for dh to warm up. I didn't get to say goodnight. I came home after 11, exhausted and had to be up again by 6. IF I had been a SAHM, it would have been easier. Maybe you're having difficulty making the connection between those awesome working moms (me, IMHO! ) who spend every minute with their kids and WHY I started daycare to begin with to NEVER lose another evening with them again...

I'm not trying to start a dang Mommy war, I'm saying that working Moms DESERVE ME TIME TOO. (I quoted a post that I thought was saying that they didn't deserve/need it) Because DANG, it's HARD.

In jest-
If you want me to be ignorant, I could go next door to my SAHM neighbor and tell her she needs to change out of her pj's, take her toddler outside for more than the mail and stop playing cartoons for him so loudly we can hear them outside for hours. (and I've been there, he watches cartoons while she is on her ipad....that's the REALITY of level of DIFFICULTY of SOME SAHM's complaining online)

QUALITY TIME VS QUANTITY TIME. KWIM?

A few of my dcp's picked up early yesterday after appointments and what not- one did a surprise lunch with their child, one took them to the indoor bounce thing, siblings went to the Y, one went to the movie. Working parents, doing their best, spending QUALITY time with their kids.
daycarediva 03:20 AM 11-12-2015
I apologize if my wording was offensive or hurtful to the previous poster. When someone says being a working parent is harder than a sah parent or vice versa and they do not preface it with "in my experience", it makes my back stiffen. I was not intending to attack the person (who I don't know), but I do think that saying either is one can be hurtful. It is an old debate and, imo, pits women against women. Again, sorry if my words were hurtful to the poster. I just know of many people have opinions, but no experience, so I was referring to those types of people. If the previous poster has worked outside the home and found it to be MUCH more difficult and stressful, then that is her right to feel that way and it is my right to disagree, as I have done both and found them to both have a different set of challenges. Either way, you have to do what makes you happy and do what is best for your family.

I agree and that is all I was trying to say, just not as elequently as you apparently
butttt.... I did.

and for what it's worth- BOTH can be difficult jobs if you're doing them correctly. I still think being a SAHM is easier though. Nothing would ever change my mind about that- NOT working another ft is easier than doing both (and doing them well).
daycarediva 03:22 AM 11-12-2015
Also, in my defense I didn't intend to start a "mommy war" I don't have enough free time to debate the internet mommy mafia. If my post hadn't ruffled feathers and been twisted into that light, then there wouldn't be a working mom vs sahm debate at all, since I did say IMHO.
NoMoreJuice! 05:21 AM 11-12-2015
I hate mommy wars.

Doesn't seem like it.

You are one of those people that creates drama and then complains about how much you hate drama. I'm sorry to be rude, but why are you on this forum? This is a great site for providers to share their unique perspective on the crazy situations we deal with every day. I can understand a random parent asking for help or insight, but you seem to be here for the purpose of stirring the pot.
Mad_Pistachio 05:33 AM 11-12-2015
Also, in my defense I didn't intend to start a "mommy war" I don't have enough free time to debate the internet mommy mafia. If my post hadn't ruffled feathers and been twisted into that light, then there wouldn't be a working mom vs sahm debate at all, since I did say IMHO.
oh, man... you think I remember who started what? I don't even bother to find out in kids' fights, I just separate them from one another (my stepfather used to do this with me and my brother: "you both go to opposite sides of the house NOW!" - worked like a charm every time)
so, for you the hardship of being a working Mom was more to bear than the hardship of being a SAHM. and it is fine. (to me, both suck big time, so I took my kiddo to work with me first 2 years. I know not everyone has this luxury, and I am in no way advising this.)

all I'm saying is, we really don't need to get into any fights about our choices (or choices life made for us). I have had quite enough of that in other parent/Mommy communities when breastfeeders were attacking formula feeders, and cloth diapers were flying into the faces of those who used disposable, and stollers were turned over in the name of Ergo and Didymos... come on. I already said it: live and let live. someone found something that works for him/her/child/the whole family? great! it's when the person cannot come up with a solution that we may (may! not should!) come in and offer a suggestion or five.

Veteran's Day is over for this year. all parents go back to work (okay, all but me, but don't mind me, I'm defective). weekend is in two days. hang in there. you will make it.
Mad_Pistachio 05:47 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
why are you on this forum?
will the answer "because I am about to become one" suffice?
mommyneedsadayoff 06:26 AM 11-12-2015
Let me try to explain why I responded the way that I did (or dig myself a deeper hole and piss off even more people)

You started your post with "not to be argumentative..." which is sort of like when someone says, "Not to be offensive, but I am about to say something offensive". You said being a working mom is MUCH more difficult than being a Sahm, which implies that sahm don't work and you said it was your honest opinion. That is great and you have every right to the opinion, but MANY people have opinions on stuff and no experience with what they are talking about. If you had said, "I have done both and found working outside the home to be much more difficult...", then I would have known that you have done both and you were giving your opinion based on your experience. I didn't realize ignorant was such a horrific word, as I am ignorant on many things. I have never been a teacher, so if I said, "imho, being a teacher is the easiest job because they get done by 4 and have summers off, ect", I imagine many teachers would think I am ignorant and have no idea what I am speaking of. I did not see where you stated that you have done both, so again, I apologize for a poor choice in words. Not sure if this explanation helps to show where I was coming from or not, but I figured it was worth a shot and I have apologized, so it is best to just move on, because I do not want to fight with other moms. As for the question of whether working moms deserve me time...YES! We all deserve "me" time! Whether you work from home, stay at home and work with your kids, or work outside the home, we all need a chance to breathe and reboot I think the OP was just sating that some parents idea of "me" time is excessive and comes at the expense of their children and I don't think that is good for the family as a whole.

So, anyway, just to make sure it is clear, I am very sorry if my wording came off as hurtful or if anyone thought I was trying to start a fight or the "mommy wars". I also have no time for that and need to get my kid to school! And daycarediva, I am sorry for saying you are ignorant. You sound like an awesome mother and provider and I hope you can accept my apology and we can all just get along
Ariana 07:38 AM 11-12-2015
Well I certainly disagree that being a working mom is harder than being a SAHM so maybe this is why we disagree. I think they are both hard for different reasons. I definitely think a working mom deserves "me time" I just think someone who is at home with their children 24/7 needs a break from them more. I guess "me time" for me means time away from your kids. At work you have others to talk to, you can drink a coffee in peace, use the toilet in peace etc. My husband for example gets lots of "me time" at his work. He meets colleagues for lunches etc.

I work at home with my children so it's a double whammy. When I went from being a working person to a SAHM at first it was HARD!!!

I really don't want to contribute to the drama I think being a mom is hard whether you work or not. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for "me time" but I do think being with your kids 24/7 warrants more "me time" than someone who works and is not around their kids 24/7.
Ariana 07:43 AM 11-12-2015
No worries Diva! You certainly cannot take credit for the SAHM vs. WM debate. That has been going on since the dawn of time....or at least since the invention of the internet

We are all entitled to our opinion as we all have different life experiences, personalities and perspectives.
daycarediva 08:37 AM 11-12-2015
Let me try to explain why I responded the way that I did (or dig myself a deeper hole and piss off even more people)

You started your post with "not to be argumentative..." which is sort of like when someone says, "Not to be offensive, but I am about to say something offensive". You said being a working mom is MUCH more difficult than being a Sahm, which implies that sahm don't work and you said it was your honest opinion. That is great and you have every right to the opinion, but MANY people have opinions on stuff and no experience with what they are talking about. If you had said, "I have done both and found working outside the home to be much more difficult...", then I would have known that you have done both and you were giving your opinion based on your experience. I didn't realize ignorant was such a horrific word, as I am ignorant on many things. I have never been a teacher, so if I said, "imho, being a teacher is the easiest job because they get done by 4 and have summers off, ect", I imagine many teachers would think I am ignorant and have no idea what I am speaking of. I did not see where you stated that you have done both, so again, I apologize for a poor choice in words. Not sure if this explanation helps to show where I was coming from or not, but I figured it was worth a shot and I have apologized, so it is best to just move on, because I do not want to fight with other moms. As for the question of whether working moms deserve me time...YES! We all deserve "me" time! Whether you work from home, stay at home and work with your kids, or work outside the home, we all need a chance to breathe and reboot I think the OP was just sating that some parents idea of "me" time is excessive and comes at the expense of their children and I don't think that is good for the family as a whole.

So, anyway, just to make sure it is clear, I am very sorry if my wording came off as hurtful or if anyone thought I was trying to start a fight or the "mommy wars". I also have no time for that and need to get my kid to school! And daycarediva, I am sorry for saying you are ignorant. You sound like an awesome mother and provider and I hope you can accept my apology and we can all just get along
Thank you. Water under the bridge, no hard feelings.

Originally Posted by Ariana:
No worries Diva! You certainly cannot take credit for the SAHM vs. WM debate. That has been going on since the dawn of time....or at least since the invention of the internet

We are all entitled to our opinion as we all have different life experiences, personalities and perspectives.
I am SOOO not a drama starter, and I never want to appear that way. Thanks, I think it's very adult of us to agree to disagree.
Josiegirl 09:15 AM 11-12-2015
It's hard and it's easy and it's all relative.
MOM OF 4 07:15 PM 11-16-2015
Parent's perspective:

live and let live.
And if YOU were my DC parent, and picked up EARLY or dropped off late on those kinds of days, and took at least a couple days off in a year (i.e. not the first one here and last to leave EVERY day, then it wouldn't bother me as much as someone who NEVER takes one of their days off to be with their own children, that they made.

I have made exceptions for the responsible parent. It's the irresponsible ones who want nothing to do with their kids because it's inconvenient and hard that I could not stand. And that's why us DCProviders have policies...because one person ruins it for everyone else.

Parenting IS hard. It's not going to be easy. Many times the Daycare provider is with your children more than you. Their job is just as difficult and sometimes, even MORE difficult. Daycare providers DESERVE AND NEED time off.
MOM OF 4 07:17 PM 11-16-2015
That would make me upset too. Why is everyone so afraid of littles? Bigs kind of stink sometimes. I would relish in time with my littles. I don't have littles anymore.....

I also would feel like crap if my parents got rid of me at daycare, and gave extra time to my brothers and sisters.
auntymimi 05:23 AM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
And if YOU were my DC parent, and picked up EARLY or dropped off late on those kinds of days, and took at least a couple days off in a year (i.e. not the first one here and last to leave EVERY day, then it wouldn't bother me as much as someone who NEVER takes one of their days off to be with their own children, that they made.

I have made exceptions for the responsible parent. It's the irresponsible ones who want nothing to do with their kids because it's inconvenient and hard that I could not stand. And that's why us DCProviders have policies...because one person ruins it for everyone else.

Parenting IS hard. It's not going to be easy. Many times the Daycare provider is with your children more than you. Their job is just as difficult and sometimes, even MORE difficult. Daycare providers DESERVE AND NEED time off.
My first term was one of those irresponsible parents. A single mom with 3 kids, her kids went to dads 3-4 days a week. 2 weeks into our working relationship she informs me that her boss gave her the schedule she had been asking for. She had asked to work doubles on the days she had the kids so she could be completely off for me time when dad had the kids! she literally would have only seen her kids to wake them up to bring them to my house, and take them home for bed. Her kids referred to MY house as "home". I finally had to term for unrelated issues but will still take the kids for free on occasion (she quit her job, so no longer receives assistance ) because they were awesome and they became really close with my own kids. What I never understood was (and she had often told me this) if you never wanted children, why did you have THREE of them?! Very sad.
mrsnj 08:26 AM 11-17-2015
I have parents who will bring their kids in a snow storm...blizzard...hurricane....etc. I will text and tell them I have no electric and still I know who will be knocking on my door. I joke not. One dad lives down the street. We will have a state of emergency and I will have not one child here. But I can look out my window and there will be dad trudging on foot through wind, sleet, hail, rain, snow to drop off little pumpkin. Mom and dad will be off and going now where too. Like serious? Its THAT important to bring the child here all alone while you trudge back home for the day? Takes "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night...." to a whole new meaning I KNOW who will be coming during these times and who will not. Like ol faithful.

I agree. I just started closing. I don't mind staying open for those who need me. I actually feel guilty closing sometimes. And honestly I have been known to take a child who's parents have no where to turn on a holiday and I am friendly with. I don't advertise it. No one else knows. But those are the real in need parents. BUT I won't stay open for those who want to go get a hair cut or nails done. So. I close. Time to parent up.
Annalee 08:44 AM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Doesn’t see an issue with this perspective!

It is why I close every holiday and only offer contracted days & hours services.

I have a preference for the type of parents I like to provide services for which includes parents not trying to spend the least amount with their children. Parents who on the day off thinks, “I’m going to spend the extra time with my little one.”

I have a family who’s father is a med student. He had mid terms yesterday. On Monday after studying he picked up his son to have lunch with him. The mother asked me on a day he is not scheduled for care, “Can you take care of him this day?” I didn’t have an issue with it because she respected her contract and asked me if I was available and willing.

This is exactly why I take all holidays, lots of personal time, professional time, unlimited emergency days and vacation days with 52 weeks pay....I reached a point I had to set my own schedule so I was happy. Granted, everyone at interview doesn't enroll, but if they do, they know upfront how it is going to be. I limit hours for the day as well....no exceptions....this requires clients to sometimes have a designated pickup person, but if a parent wants your services, I feel they will make it work.
Cat Herder 07:55 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Michael:

That brings to mind this.....
Attached: poor planning.jpg (103.3 KB) 
Sugaree 06:14 AM 11-19-2015
I've done this a few times. There are some things, like doctor's appointments, that he just doesn't need to go to.

I had planned on doing this next month so that I could buy his Christmas presents and get them wrapped before he saw them, but I just got an email from the center that they are having a professional development day that day so now I gotta figure out something else. At least I was already taking the day off so I don't have to line up extra care.
delferka 07:46 AM 11-20-2015
I think we all have our own opinions about how children should be raised. I would never have done it. I always juggled with my kids in tow. That's how they learn about life. Again, my opinion.
Although, we make our money taking care of other peoples children. I don't care if they are going to the beach alone. I still make money and take care of their kids! I don't think it's any of our business what they are doing while their children are in our care.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:37 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by delferka:
I think we all have our own opinions about how children should be raised. I would never have done it. I always juggled with my kids in tow. That's how they learn about life. Again, my opinion.
Although, we make our money taking care of other peoples children. I don't care if they are going to the beach alone. I still make money and take care of their kids! I don't think it's any of our business what they are doing while their children are in our care.
Right on. You have to adopt this attitude, at least outwardly, to keep in business. I don't get it. I don't respect it. Of course I don't - almost all of us started in this business to just BE with our own kids. So I will silently judge that decision to drop off when it wasn't necessary, but I will greet you with a smile and happily take Junior from you.

I have a DCM that told me last week that she was taking this Thur and Fri off and her work was not happy about it. It is DCB's 1st bday on Sat, and they will have lots of family in town all weekend and she won't even hardly get to hold him. They want to spend some alone time with him, go to the zoo, other fun things to celebrate. Can I have his DC party for him on Wed?

Sure, can do and did. Imagine my surprise when she came in Thur morning at 7:45 and said she needed to get some things done before family shows up Sat. She did come for him at 1:00, though, so that was nice. Then, this morning she brings him in again and says she needs to go to Wal-Mart, but she'll be back at noon. Lo and behold, texted at 11:30 she'll get him at 4:45, regular time. Whatevs, lady, whatevs...
mommyneedsadayoff 11:17 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Right on. You have to adopt this attitude, at least outwardly, to keep in business. I don't get it. I don't respect it. Of course I don't - almost all of us started in this business to just BE with our own kids. So I will silently judge that decision to drop off when it wasn't necessary, but I will greet you with a smile and happily take Junior from you.

I have a DCM that told me last week that she was taking this Thur and Fri off and her work was not happy about it. It is DCB's 1st bday on Sat, and they will have lots of family in town all weekend and she won't even hardly get to hold him. They want to spend some alone time with him, go to the zoo, other fun things to celebrate. Can I have his DC party for him on Wed?

Sure, can do and did. Imagine my surprise when she came in Thur morning at 7:45 and said she needed to get some things done before family shows up Sat. She did come for him at 1:00, though, so that was nice. Then, this morning she brings him in again and says she needs to go to Wal-Mart, but she'll be back at noon. Lo and behold, texted at 11:30 she'll get him at 4:45, regular time. Whatevs, lady, whatevs...
I had this mom too. Numerous times she would say she is taking the day off or leaving work early to do something fun with her kid and every time it came to the actual day, plans would change and dck was with me the whole day. After the second time, I stopped mentioning anything to dck so they wouldn't be disappointed when mom didn't follow through. The last time, though, I called her on it and it was probably what ended our arrangement. She was suppose to pick up at 1, before naps, so they could head out of town. She wanted dck to sleep on the way, so we planned for her to pick up before naps. One o clock rolls around and she texts me saying it will be closer to two before she gets here. I said that is fine, but I will put LO down for his nap, as everyone is going down for naps. She got upset and said she would be over in 30 minutes and I said fine. I still made him lay down and he ended up falling asleep and 45 minutes later she showed up, so I woke him and handed him off. No surprise, he didn't sleep on their road trip and she texted me later all mad that I put him down. I told her that if she had picked him upi when she said she would, none of it would have happened, but I will not keep a child up because it is more convenient for you. Long story short, they never came back and I was SO okay with that

It is sad that some parents don't want to spend time with their kids, but not much we an do about it other than close and force them to be with their kid. I try to weed those parents out quickly, though, as I get older. Ain't nobody got time for that
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 11-20-2015
These kinds of threads make me sad.

Absent parenting
Judgmental providers

Not sure which is worse.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:32 AM 11-20-2015
These kinds of threads make me sad.

Absent parenting
Judgmental providers

Not sure which is worse.
Personally, I would think absent parents is worse, just because everyone, provider or not, judge other people's behaviors or actions. Maybe the OP was just venting and this forum allows her to speak with others who feel the same (or different) and find some perspective. It is not a bad thing. It is an age old debate and not the first thread on here that I have read about parental involvement. Maybe what is sad is that it is even a "debate" at all. Parental involvement should be a given, imo.

Just to add that I have had so many wonderful parents and I am sure many of us had, but we tend to need to vent about the not so great ones. Or maybe the better way of saying that is , the ones who don't seem to have their priorities in order.
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 11-20-2015
Personally, I would think absent parents is worse, just because everyone, provider or not, judge other people's behaviors or actions. Maybe the OP was just venting and this forum allows her to speak with others who feel the same (or different) and find some perspective. It is not a bad thing. It is an age old debate and not the first thread on here that I have read about parental involvement. Maybe what is sad is that it is even a "debate" at all. Parental involvement should be a given, imo.

Just to add that I have had so many wonderful parents and I am sure many of us had, but we tend to need to vent about the not so great ones. Or maybe the better way of saying that is , the ones who don't seem to have their priorities in order.
I think you missed my point.

I wasn't actually asking which is worse.

What's not a bad thing?...and what debate are you talking about?

We also have an entire thread devoted to venting.

I think we are on two completely different pages.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:04 PM 11-20-2015
I think you missed my point.

I wasn't actually asking which is worse.

What's not a bad thing?...and what debate are you talking about?

We also have an entire thread devoted to venting.

I think we are on two completely different pages.
Sorry, just thought you were asking which was worse between absent parenting or judgemental providers. (and I said absent parents as a response) I thought you meant that these threads are sad, like providers versus parents sort of thing, kwim? And I just was answering by saying that I guess we just need to vent, but I am sure we have all had great parents and not so great parents. The "debate" was really just referring to the age old discussion of parents leaving their kids in daycare whether they need to or not and how that chafes a lot of providers. Some feel that it doesn't matter, they are being paid regardless, and others feel annoyed by it because they think the parents should be with the kids when not working. I am unclear on what point you were making and was just responding, so I will go ahead and shut up now Sorry if I misread your post!
Blackcat31 01:32 PM 11-20-2015
Sorry, just thought you were asking which was worse between absent parenting or judgemental providers. (and I said absent parents as a response) I thought you meant that these threads are sad, like providers versus parents sort of thing, kwim? And I just was answering by saying that I guess we just need to vent, but I am sure we have all had great parents and not so great parents. The "debate" was really just referring to the age old discussion of parents leaving their kids in daycare whether they need to or not and how that chafes a lot of providers. Some feel that it doesn't matter, they are being paid regardless, and others feel annoyed by it because they think the parents should be with the kids when not working. I am unclear on what point you were making and was just responding, so I will go ahead and shut up now Sorry if I misread your post!
No worries...

You are right though, the topic of this thread does make me sad but it also makes me sad that we (general we, as providers) so openly judge parents for how they parent.

I mean neglect is one thing but different parent styles make the world go round and what one kid needs isn't the same as another needs, even in the same family.

Who are we, to say what is and isn't appropriate or enough or quality or not quality? Who are we to set the bar? Or make those guidelines? kwim?

Take me for example... I am pretty well adjusted adult (at least I think I am ) and feel as though I turned out okay as far as being a good human being and an honest contributing member of society.

So based on that self assessment, can you tell what type of parents I had or how much time my parents spent or didn't spend with me? Can you tell how much or how little quality time I had with my parents and/or how much time I spent or didn't spend with an alternate/non-parent caregiver?

No, you can't because you haven't walked in MY shoes and you haven't lived my life
....just like I don't walk in my client's shoes and I don't live their lives so I work really hard at saving the judgement because I would not want to be judged on my parenting or on anything I did or didn't do wrong while raising my kids and I think if I were the perfect parent (by who's assessment, I don't know) but if I were the perfect parent, then and only then would I feel justified in judging others for how they parent their child(ren).

It just saddens me when providers, of all people who make a living providing care for other people's kids get all judgmental about the clients they have. There is no other profession in the world that I know of that feels as if they can be so negative about the behavior of their clients.

I also 100% understand the need for venting....(like I said we have a thread devoted entirely to that....two as a matter of fact) so that is what gets my goat, what bothers me is that if you (again, general you) truly do not approve of or like how a parent parents, then stop taking their dollar and refuse to be a part of it.

Being a part of it and then bitching about it is just silly in my opinion.
It is also one of THE biggest reason this profession is rarely, if ever taken seriously.

That was my point.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:04 PM 11-20-2015
No worries...

You are right though, the topic of this thread does make me sad but it also makes me sad that we (general we, as providers) so openly judge parents for how they parent.

I mean neglect is one thing but different parent styles make the world go round and what one kid needs isn't the same as another needs, even in the same family.

Who are we, to say what is and isn't appropriate or enough or quality or not quality? Who are we to set the bar? Or make those guidelines? kwim?

Take me for example... I am pretty well adjusted adult (at least I think I am ) and feel as though I turned out okay as far as being a good human being and an honest contributing member of society.

So based on that self assessment, can you tell what type of parents I had or how much time my parents spent or didn't spend with me? Can you tell how much or how little quality time I had with my parents and/or how much time I spent or didn't spend with an alternate/non-parent caregiver?

No, you can't because you haven't walked in MY shoes and you haven't lived my life
....just like I don't walk in my client's shoes and I don't live their lives so I work really hard at saving the judgement because I would not want to be judged on my parenting or on anything I did or didn't do wrong while raising my kids and I think if I were the perfect parent (by who's assessment, I don't know) but if I were the perfect parent, then and only then would I feel justified in judging others for how they parent their child(ren).

It just saddens me when providers, of all people who make a living providing care for other people's kids get all judgmental about the clients they have. There is no other profession in the world that I know of that feels as if they can be so negative about the behavior of their clients.

I also 100% understand the need for venting....(like I said we have a thread devoted entirely to that....two as a matter of fact) so that is what gets my goat, what bothers me is that if you (again, general you) truly do not approve of or like how a parent parents, then stop taking their dollar and refuse to be a part of it.

Being a part of it and then bitching about it is just silly in my opinion.
It is also one of THE biggest reason this profession is rarely, if ever taken seriously.

That was my point.
I totally understand your point now and I agree and also disagree. I worked many jobs and found many places where people complain about the peope they are providing service for. I am a server right now and that is one just right off the bat. We all complain about our jobs and I think that is okay. It doesn't mean we hate our job or even that we think less of those we provide service for. It just means that every now and then we come across a few "bad apples" and we complain and we get over it and we continue providing care for all the others. I think that as we get older or more experienced in this profession, we weed out those who do not mesh well with our service, but it is not fool proof and we can get to the point of just needing to lay it all out (or vent) and that is why I like this forum so much. There are many threads that ask questions, but many that are also just venting about current clients and asking questions they already know the answer to. It is not wonder the vent thread is over 2400 posts so far I think there are many reasons our profession is not taken seriously, but in a social media world of judgement and hate, this forum actually offers me a lot of comfort and it is nice to know that other providers are experiencing the same tings I am
Blackcat31 03:31 PM 11-20-2015
I totally understand your point now and I agree and also disagree. I worked many jobs and found many places where people complain about the peope they are providing service for. I am a server right now and that is one just right off the bat. We all complain about our jobs and I think that is okay. It doesn't mean we hate our job or even that we think less of those we provide service for. It just means that every now and then we come across a few "bad apples" and we complain and we get over it and we continue providing care for all the others. I think that as we get older or more experienced in this profession, we weed out those who do not mesh well with our service, but it is not fool proof and we can get to the point of just needing to lay it all out (or vent) and that is why I like this forum so much. There are many threads that ask questions, but many that are also just venting about current clients and asking questions they already know the answer to. It is not wonder the vent thread is over 2400 posts so far I think there are many reasons our profession is not taken seriously, but in a social media world of judgement and hate, this forum actually offers me a lot of comfort and it is nice to know that other providers are experiencing the same tings I am
But as a server, you aren't directly taking money from that client... (other than a tip)...you are still paid by your employer...

As a self-employed child care provider you have the power to not participate in something you do not agree with or something that goes directly against something you fundamentally believe in.

To me THAT is the difference. If you have the power to change it, change it. As an employee, you don't really have a lot of say in what the patrons of a diner do or don't do in their personal lives.

I think the bottom line is most (not all) providers value the dollar more and rather than value the "ethics" they are preaching about they accept the money and complain. That is what bothers me.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:55 PM 11-20-2015
But as a server, you aren't directly taking money from that client... (other than a tip)...you are still paid by your employer...

As a self-employed child care provider you have the power to not participate in something you do not agree with or something that goes directly against something you fundamentally believe in.

To me THAT is the difference. If you have the power to change it, change it. As an employee, you don't really have a lot of say in what the patrons of a diner do or don't do in their personal lives.

I think the bottom line is most (not all) providers value the dollar more and rather than value the "ethics" they are preaching about they accept the money and complain. That is what bothers me.
I totally agree with the bold above. It is a novel concept, but no matter what job, we all need to complain now and then. As a server, I actually get paid by the customers, not so much by the employer. Server wages average anywhere from 2.13-5.00 an hour, so the actual money made comes from the customer, not the employer. We (servers) always complain about our customers, but we also rave about those who are awesome. Same with daycare. I complain about those who push the limits, but I don't think any are bad parents or even TRYING to be difficult. It is just my perception after doing it for ma y years. If I don't tell them they are bugging me, then it is on me to deal with it or shut up, so to speak. We are on the same page, though. We can all bitch and moan about our situation or do something about it
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 11-21-2015
We can all bitch and moan about our situation or do something about it
That is the root of my issue.

We have a venting thread. I have no problem with vents there. That's what its for....and honestly I don't read that thread very often...

A huge issue I have with people in general is that people like to bitch/complain and whine but there are very few people in this word that will actually do anything to change the situation or themselves.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine and sometimes a thread/post or comment hits a nerve for me and I comment/reply.

I understand the need to complain/vent and let stress out and I suppose in a way I am doing the same thing by voicing my distaste for some of the things vented about/said.
Ariana 10:24 AM 11-22-2015
The total irony in judging people who judge is simply hilarious

Also...

Originally Posted by :
Seriously? I know a few lawyers, police officers, social workers, teachers and damn there are a LOT of complainers. My mother is a therapist and in her office there was a "judgement free zone" room where they were allowed to vent, complain and judge clients with total anonymity because it helped them process emotions about certain high stress situations. The only person I vent to is my husband and that's it. To maintain a sense of professionalism it's what I have to do. This is why this forum is so valuable.

Anyway I do understand how you feel BlackCat but I think most of us are just looking for support and empathy, something that is severely lacking. We don't get much of that in the venting thread. It's pretty much a dead zone. I have tried using it a few times.....
mia 11:08 AM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I have parents who will bring their kids in a snow storm...blizzard...hurricane....etc. I will text and tell them I have no electric and still I know who will be knocking on my door. I joke not. One dad lives down the street. We will have a state of emergency and I will have not one child here. But I can look out my window and there will be dad trudging on foot through wind, sleet, hail, rain, snow to drop off little pumpkin. Mom and dad will be off and going now where too. Like serious? Its THAT important to bring the child here all alone while you trudge back home for the day? Takes "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night...." to a whole new meaning I KNOW who will be coming during these times and who will not. Like ol faithful.

I agree. I just started closing. I don't mind staying open for those who need me. I actually feel guilty closing sometimes. And honestly I have been known to take a child who's parents have no where to turn on a holiday and I am friendly with. I don't advertise it. No one else knows. But those are the real in need parents. BUT I won't stay open for those who want to go get a hair cut or nails done. So. I close. Time to parent up.

I had a client like this, would say they were working.. but get off early to go get hair, nails, groceries, visit, then show up late and say ohhh I'm sorry I'm late but it's sooo hard to get anything done when child is home, and husband and I needed some nooky time, since child still sleeps with us....This same client would say they where working but would show up late all the time, I commented on day about being late and that since dad was usually waking up about 20 mins to 1h before pick up time that he could come so that there would be no late fee, mom was like ohh we can't do that because it's not fair to husband that he had the child home with him, and that they did not think it was fair that I charges then a late fee.. One day she asked if I was open on a Holiday I said no why she said oh cause I need to work that day. So being nice I opened for her that day. I next year I closed on the date and she got mad said that it was not fair to her that I was closing on that day because no she could not go with her mom to a small town yard sale that they go to every year, she then asked me if I had ever been to it, I said no why, she's like oh you should go sometime the whole town is one big yard sale with lots of great things. So I told her that maybe I would go that year since I was going to be closed that day. She was like oh so you are going to still be closed even thou I just mentioned that I need him to be here so that I can go with my mom, I just hate taking him with me and husband don't want him there either. I'm like sorry I'm closed that day....

It's like sometimes they think that we can do it all, what about our "me times" god for bid we take time off to do what they are doing. We cook, clean, play, bath, groceries, hair, nail, shop, visit, Doctors, appointments, nooky, and our own kids 24 / 7, plus your children and you don't see us complaining to often.

SO how come we are always made out to be the bad ones when we get frustrated for those parents that take advantage of our kindness / job title. We do need a break from time to time as well....

SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION....
Play Care 12:32 PM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by mia:

I had a client like this, would say they were working.. but get off early to go get hair, nails, groceries, visit, then show up late and say ohhh I'm sorry I'm late but it's sooo hard to get anything done when child is home, and husband and I needed some nooky time, since child still sleeps with us....This same client would say they where working but would show up late all the time, I commented on day about being late and that since dad was usually waking up about 20 mins to 1h before pick up time that he could come so that there would be no late fee, mom was like ohh we can't do that because it's not fair to husband that he had the child home with him, and that they did not think it was fair that I charges then a late fee.. One day she asked if I was open on a Holiday I said no why she said oh cause I need to work that day. So being nice I opened for her that day. I next year I closed on the date and she got mad said that it was not fair to her that I was closing on that day because no she could not go with her mom to a small town yard sale that they go to every year, she then asked me if I had ever been to it, I said no why, she's like oh you should go sometime the whole town is one big yard sale with lots of great things. So I told her that maybe I would go that year since I was going to be closed that day. She was like oh so you are going to still be closed even thou I just mentioned that I need him to be here so that I can go with my mom, I just hate taking him with me and husband don't want him there either. I'm like sorry I'm closed that day....

It's like sometimes they think that we can do it all, what about our "me times" god for bid we take time off to do what they are doing. We cook, clean, play, bath, groceries, hair, nail, shop, visit, Doctors, appointments, nooky, and our own kids 24 / 7, plus your children and you don't see us complaining to often.

SO how come we are always made out to be the bad ones when we get frustrated for those parents that take advantage of our kindness / job title. We do need a break from time to time as well....

SORRY IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION....
Mia, this was my issue. I truly don't care what a parent does if I'm open and providing care - BUT I have had clients *lie* about having to work in order for me to be open on minor holidays. That's where I draw the line. That's why I close and no longer listen to sob stories about having to work, etc when I decide to take a personal day or be closed on a holiday. I am off tomorrow - Friday, even though some of my parents have to work tomorrow.
I can't wait to relax, shop, run errands. Maybe I'll even get a mani/pedi
mia 11:34 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Mia, this was my issue. I truly don't care what a parent does if I'm open and providing care - BUT I have had clients *lie* about having to work in order for me to be open on minor holidays. That's where I draw the line. That's why I close and no longer listen to sob stories about having to work, etc when I decide to take a personal day or be closed on a holiday. I am off tomorrow - Friday, even though some of my parents have to work tomorrow.
I can't wait to relax, shop, run errands. Maybe I'll even get a mani/pedi

: That's for sure.... Hope you have a great day pampering yourself you deserve it.....
Tags:dumping, parents - don't want kids, unconditional love
Reply Up