Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bilingual language 2 year old
flying_babyb 07:04 PM 11-14-2018
So I work in a center. Today I did a parent teachers conference with my bilingual family. The parents speak Spanish pretty exclusively at home. I speak English and a few words of Spanish (then tell him the English) to him at daycare. Mom is worried that his language skills dont seem on the same level. She told me her friend told her that dual language learners may not speak as much at a young age. I told her I would see what I could find and report back. At daycare he uses maybe 8-10 words in English, and 10-15 in Spanish, that are understandable. He is pretty newly two (10-5-16). Any advice? I would love to reassure mom or let her know if their is really a problem.
storybookending 07:09 PM 11-14-2018
It is common of children from bilingual households to speak later or not as often as children that grow up in a one language household. I would just have them keep doing what they are doing.
lblanke 07:29 PM 11-14-2018
Bilingual children have better test scores later in life. They are giving their child an amazing advantage if they speak Spanish at home and he learns English at school. Kids under a certain age (up to 6-8 years) can learn 2 languages just as easy as one. The best thing they can do is to allow him to be bilingual.
Tags:2 year old, bilingual
Reply Up