Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accidentally Said Yes to Too Many
littlefriends 11:17 AM 03-27-2019
So I have 4 going into kindergarten this year. 3 of them will be leaving my daycare and 1 will be able to use the bus from my house. I’ve been interviewing to find the perfect fits to replace the 3. Well now I somehow screwed up and realized that I have filled 4 spots instead of 3. Part of the problem was a mom who just couldn’t decide what she wanted to do as far as paying me even when the 2 kids are not here. We interviewed and I was very clear about my time off and payment policies but lo n behold the very next day I get a loooooong text about how they loved me and were happy with everything and wanted to sign up but....she’s taking off 3 months later in the year and doesn’t feel like she should have to pay blah blah. I nicely informed her that my policies are non negotiable and then she said okay, she’d let me know in the next few days. This obviously rubbed me the wrong way as well as dad during the interview letting me know he feels my illness policy is too strict. So, during that time I interviewed another mom. This mom only has 1 kid. I really liked her a lot and he is adorable and seems well behaved, she immediately paid for the spot, had no problems with any of my policies and I just generally got a good vibe from her. So then first mom texts me (5days after original text asking about the time off) saying they decided they don’t have a problem with it after all and letting me know they’ll be by with a check to hold the spot. Well I completely forgot about the family I interviewed with a few months ago to take a spot I’ll have opening up in June! So now it’s 4 kids and 3 spots. I’m not sure who to tell no to now. The kiddo that is going to be riding the bus is $20 per week cheaper so I’m losing money keeping him and I don’t normally keep school Agee’s but I said I’d keep him through kindergarten as a favor because I like them, they’re a good family and I have his younger sibling all day. I don’t get great vibes from the family that took forever deciding but they’re young so I’ll potentially have them for several years at full price.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-27-2019
Personally I’d pass on the family that balked from the get go.

I’d write back and say you decided you aren’t willing to work with a family that tried negotiating your policies from the beginning despite being told you don’t or won’t negotiate.

I am willing to bet they’ll use you until something better comes along (I don’t mean better than you/your program I mean a better deal).
e.j. 11:49 AM 03-27-2019
I agree with BC. If they're balking about your policies now, imagine what it will be like when they actually have to abide by them. It seems like you could be in for constant testing and attempted negotiations from them. If I were in your spot, I'd let them know that after careful consideration, I've decided not to offer them the spot and good luck with their search.
rosieteddy 12:08 PM 03-27-2019
I also would tell family that balked at time off and policies on sick time.I would bet they will use you until 2 weeks before her 3 months off give notice and leave.Is it maternity leave perhaps?Tell her you made a mistake on numbers and as she/they were the last to give deposit you will have to withdraw your offer for care.Someone else will come through next year.
boy_mom 12:18 PM 03-27-2019
Agree with the PP's, let that family know that while they were deciding you filled the space. First come, first served!
Ariana 01:07 PM 03-27-2019
Agree with the others! You will dodge a bullet by not signing them up.
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 03-27-2019
I agree with everyone else too. Plus, you need to go with what works now, not what you think will work best in the future. Families leave unexpectedly for lots of reasons so it's best to focus on now and not worry about later.
Mom2Two 02:20 PM 03-27-2019
Originally Posted by littlefriends:
We interviewed and ...the very next day I get a loooooong text about how...doesn’t feel like she should have to pay...dad during the interview letting me know he feels my illness policy is too strict
Awww heck no.

So right after they send their kid with influenza A and get you all sick, they're going to ditch you coz you don't want to hold a spot for free while they take time off?

As tempting as this family sounds....
Josiegirl 02:09 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
Agree with the PP's, let that family know that while they were deciding you filled the space. First come, first served!
This mostly but ditto to everyone else too! Without any question!
littlefriends 04:01 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I also would tell family that balked at time off and policies on sick time.I would bet they will use you until 2 weeks before her 3 months off give notice and leave.Is it maternity leave perhaps?Tell her you made a mistake on numbers and as she/they were the last to give deposit you will have to withdraw your offer for care.Someone else will come through next year.
This hadn’t crossed my mind...
It’s not maternity leave as far as I know but it’s far enough away that it could be. She seems really sad about not being able to stay a stay at home mom too, talked about how much she wishes it would work out a ton during the interview.
rosieteddy 06:26 AM 03-28-2019
That's another red flag .I would decline sooner than later.She would probally find reasons she should stay home.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 03-28-2019
This hadn’t crossed my mind...
It’s not maternity leave as far as I know but it’s far enough away that it could be. She seems really sad about not being able to stay a stay at home mom too, talked about how much she wishes it would work out a ton during the interview.
Oh yes! Like rosieteddy said another red flag for sure!!

Those types of parents do everything in their power to sabotage child care so they have "no choice" but to have to stay home.

I would absolutely pass on this family, as a matter of fact I'd RUN from the whole situation.
What this DCM isn't saying says ALOT!
littlefriends 08:16 AM 03-28-2019
Okay, texted her to please give me a call during nap time today. I’m going to tell her I won’t be needing her to stop by with the check because I’ve found a family that’s a better fit. I really wish I had more experience! I need more experience interviewing and signing up new families. I probably should’ve known.
rosieteddy 10:47 AM 03-28-2019
If she doesn't call before 4 pm I would text back.Sorry space has been filled and no longer available.Thank you for your interest. Short and sweet.You should not feel bad at all .She hadn't even given the paperwork.After 4 I would only text.Good luck.
sahm1225 07:24 AM 03-29-2019
Updates?
littlefriends 08:03 AM 03-29-2019
She didn’t call so I emailed her after all the kids left. I’m not sure what to do now because she hasn’t replied but I just said that I had accidentally said yes to one too many and since she had taken longer to reply that I had decided to go with another family. I guess she doesn’t really need to respond. I was worried she’d call me and get really mad so at least I didn’t have that to deal with.
Mom2Two 11:40 AM 03-29-2019
She didn’t call so I emailed her after all the kids left. I’m not sure what to do now because she hasn’t replied but I just said that I had accidentally said yes to one too many and since she had taken longer to reply that I had decided to go with another family. I guess she doesn’t really need to respond. I was worried she’d call me and get really mad so at least I didn’t have that to deal with.
I hate it when people just don't respond.

Then there was that one lady a few weeks ago, who I set up an interview with, then found that I needed to reschedule. So I text the lady and tell her that I need to reschedule the interview, then she texts me back saying, "Who are you again?" ????? Does she want daycare or not?

Fortunately I decided not to fill the spot right now.
coloradoprovider 09:54 AM 03-30-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
Since the family didn't reserve the spot, you can simply state that the spot has been filled. They signed nothing, paid nothing, you owe them nothing. Don't feel guilty!
Tags:over ratio
Reply Up