Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Day Games
delferka 04:42 AM 02-02-2021
Hi and thanks in advance for for advise! I have a small home daycare in Massachusetts. On snow days (which I charge for and clearly stated from the get go) I have this one manipulating mother that never tells me weather or not her child will be coming. All of the other parents tell me the day before by saying "enjoy your snow day!" I get up at the crack of dawn because she hasn't said a word about attendance.
I texted her this morning asking if her child would be coming and she said "maybe". She's such a you know what. Lies like a rug continuously. She always asks, " are you taking kiddos or are you taking a snow day! What does that mean??
It's now 7:30 and no communication as of yet and she usually comes at 7. Clearly she has issues with paying me $35 for a snow day. What would you guys do? No one id coming and waiting for this woman to respond in an adult manor!!!
She just wants to make sure that I'm up and ready just in case. I'm steaming
delferka 04:55 AM 02-02-2021
Just got a reply. "I'm going to try and get her there." Another open ended answer! When do your people have to let you know by?
Pestle 06:23 AM 02-02-2021
Say "Since everybody else has confirmed they're snowed in and I haven't gotten confirmation from you, I will be closed today."

Do it this one time, and from then on, either she makes up her mind first thing in the morning, or you give yourself a day off. In either case, you win.
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 02-02-2021
I don't understand what it is you are asking of her.

Are you open or are you closed?

What is a "snow day" there?
delferka 07:06 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I don't understand what it is you are asking of her.

Are you open or are you closed?

What is a "snow day" there?
I'm open on snow days
Cat Herder 07:10 AM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by delferka:
I'm open on snow days
So, if public school is closed and school aged kids can come then that is a "snow day"?

Is it still a "snow day" for kids already enrolled full time? So just a normal day.

Can you set it up that they have to let you know the day before by closing to be able to come? That way you don't have to get up if no one gives by close?

There is no way I'd respond to any communication after close the day prior.

It is confusing since typically snow days mean the daycare is closed and kids get to stay home with parents.
delferka 07:12 AM 02-02-2021
Thank you. Good information!
Jo123ABC 07:53 AM 02-02-2021
Maybe write a notice letting parents know your new inclement weather policy. If you want notice the day before, implement it. Sometimes you have to be really firm and clear-cut with wishy-washy parents to avoid miscommunication and confusion. I started following the school closures for that reason but I left my policy open enough to still be able to make the decision to close if I want. I give notice the morning of since our weather can go from 0 to 60 in minutes where I live. It can go from sun shining to blizzard conditions very quickly
e.j. 11:50 AM 02-02-2021
Since you charge for snow days anyway, maybe it would be easier for you just to make the call for parents. "I plan to be closed tomorrow because of the storm. Sorry for any inconvenience." If you want to give them the option of coming, let them know that they need to notify you by a certain time if they plan to bring their child to day care. If you don't hear from them by that time, they're considered absent and the parent can't bring them that day.

I need to take my own advice! lol I don't charge when I'm the one who closes so I always plan to be open as long as I have parents who need to bring their kids to me. It drives me crazy, though, when I get up early to be ready for that one family I assume is coming only to have them sleep in and text me at noon to let me know they won't be here.
delferka 01:17 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Since you charge for snow days anyway, maybe it would be easier for you just to make the call for parents. "I plan to be closed tomorrow because of the storm. Sorry for any inconvenience." If you want to give them the option of coming, let them know that they need to notify you by a certain time if they plan to bring their child to day care. If you don't hear from them by that time, they're considered absent and the parent can't bring them that day.

I need to take my own advice! lol I don't charge when I'm the one who closes so I always plan to be open as long as I have parents who need to bring their kids to me. It drives me crazy, though, when I get up early to be ready for that one family I assume is coming only to have them sleep in and text me at noon to let me know they won't be here.
I totally get that! I'm up at the crack of dawn waiting on one family that actually just likes to play games I think! My policy has always been that I'm open on snow days. I'm going to implement the "day before" thing!
284878 08:44 PM 02-02-2021
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Yes this 100%. And don't feel bad and contact her either to ask, if she doesn't contact you in time then don't expect her.
Tags:closed, open, weather closings
Reply Up