Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Who Have A Daycare Room
cherryhill 01:44 PM 02-04-2011
How big is it. Currently I use my living room dining room area to care for the kids. The kids can play on the mats but pretty much play everywhere except the kitchen. I wouldn't mind having my daycare in the nap room and doing daycare and naps in that room and coming downstairs to eat. It just seems so small, I think I would go stir crazy.

for those who have rooms how big are they? How do you function all day in one room? Technically I am in one large room, but there is no door to close it off.

Just tired of feeling I am always at work.

The bedroom upstairs is about 10x8 and carpeted
the pictures are of my current space.
Attached: New Image.jpg (64.6 KB) New Image2.jpg (63.2 KB) New Image3.jpg (64.0 KB) 
Sunny Day 02:18 PM 02-04-2011
My daycare room is the entire basement of a split level home, so it is fairly large. It has a walk-out to the backyard and has lots of light and I STILL feel like I'm going stir-crazy being down there 5 days a week! I can't imagine being in an actual room, I'd lose my mind. I'm sorry you feel like you're always at work, I felt that way too when I first started because we only had one tv, so I was 'relaxing' down there at night too. Still though, I think feeling like you're at work is better than losing your mind in a small daycare room with a bunch of yelling kids! You could always try it though....
kendallina 02:25 PM 02-04-2011
My preschool room is 17 x 22 feet. it's a decent size (largest bedroom in the house) and has a vaulted ceiling which makes it feel bigger and it works well for the program that I have (we only spend 1 or 1-1/2 hours a day in there), but if I had to spend all day in there I might go crazy.
ninosqueridos 02:30 PM 02-04-2011
My room is 300 sq feet but we do have to leave the room to go to the bathroom. Otherwise, everything is in there. It is technically our living room. You have a nice area already but if you wanted to be able to not see everything when you are closed, you could always try it for a week and see how you feel. It may be nice to break up the day and come down to the kitchen area to eat and nap. Good luck!
melissa ann 02:48 PM 02-04-2011
I'm lucky. We live in a 3 unit apt. and live in 1/2the house. I do childcare in the 1st floor apt. It is small. We have a nap room (although the kids still drag the toys in that room) we have playroom, which is in the middle, then the kitchen and bath. I like it though, because when my "work" day is over, I really can go home. I go out one front door and go into another one.
DCMomOf3 02:49 PM 02-04-2011
I use my entire walk-out basement. It's equipped for everything but potty and meals. It's approx. 900 sq feet (there is an office/nap room included in that sq footage).
countrymom 03:33 PM 02-04-2011
the front half of my house is my daycare room/toyroom but my kids hang out there all the time too. I know that feeling about cleaning all day, its never ending.
jessrlee 03:36 PM 02-04-2011
I also use my Walk-out basement, http://lovablelambs.webs.com/apps/ph...bumid=10906454 It is 8/900 square foot with a bathroom and kitchenette
cillybean83 03:41 PM 02-04-2011
my playroom is 14 x 16, but I only take littles (birth-2) so that's enough space for them, they nap in a separate room, spend some time in the living room, and eat in the kitchen
Stacy214 03:51 PM 02-04-2011
I basically use my whole house minus my bedroom/bath and son's room....My living/dining and kitchen are all open to each other and down a hall is a bathroom and playroom across from that....I retreat to my bedroom at night lol however I have 3 closets and with the playroom my house doesn't look daycare at the end of the day or weekend
Stacy214 03:52 PM 02-04-2011
I love your space that you use now though.. I would be nervous about going up and down the stairs.
Stacy214 03:53 PM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I also use my Walk-out basement, http://lovablelambs.webs.com/apps/ph...bumid=10906454 It is 8/900 square foot with a bathroom and kitchenette

Looks GREAT!
littlemonkeys 03:55 PM 02-04-2011
I know exactly how you feel. We have a 1700 sq ft house (3 bedrooms 2 bath, 1 living room, kitchen and of course garage). We use the living room for daycare, kitchen for eating, and one of the bedrooms for nap time. I do go stir crazy and by Friday I just want to GET OUT of the house. It always feels like I'm at work.
JenNJ 04:16 PM 02-04-2011
My dc room is 25 x 15 with an attached half bath for the kids use. It is right off my kitchen hall and 4 steps down. It has a 15 foot ceiling though and one whole wall is windows so it feels much bigger than it is. The only other room I use for dc is the dining room since I think it is important for kids to sit together at an adult sized table and practice real life manners when dining.
Michael 10:52 PM 02-04-2011
Originally Posted by Stacy214:
I basically use my whole house minus my bedroom/bath and son's room....My living/dining and kitchen are all open to each other and down a hall is a bathroom and playroom across from that....I retreat to my bedroom at night lol however I have 3 closets and with the playroom my house doesn't look daycare at the end of the day or weekend
Stacy, try using the multi-quote function. All answers go in one post.
Tags:playroom, playroom layout
Reply Up