Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well Fudge!
Persephone 05:53 AM 02-22-2010
I just got a phone call from my only dcb's mom. She lost her job last week because DCB was sick. She said she needed to do breathing treatments every 4 hours during the night, so she missed 5 days. She worked nights.

I didn't have DCB last week because of snow and she keeps him home with the older boys (plus she's home during the day). So she's going to come by today to pay me for last week.

But she's can't pay me for during the time she's out of work.

She's also in the works of buying a home, or so she says. So she's got to get a job now. She said she was getting ready to sign this week on this house.

But the house is in the county over, which means DCB would change schools, which means I lose my 1 dcb. It totally sucks!

I tried a few other times to get more kids. The sibling group I did get didn't work due to the evening hours and the younger one cried all the time, it was just too much stress for DS and me.

There's a bunch of other people with ads in the paper right now looking for kids in our small town. So I don't think I'm going to have much luck.

I just want to cry! Even though I wasn't making that much money on this one child it was something!

It's not worth it for me to find a job and put DS in a child care somewhere. For one I wouldn't bring home much money after paying a sitter. Then I have to worry about his allergies there. And I just don't want to have to deal with the stress of it.

My DH works until 6:00, so I can't really get an evening job.

Why is it just when you think things are going good money wise you have a set back?
momofboys 06:02 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I just got a phone call from my only dcb's mom. She lost her job last week because DCB was sick. She said she needed to do breathing treatments every 4 hours during the night, so she missed 5 days. She worked nights.

I didn't have DCB last week because of snow and she keeps him home with the older boys (plus she's home during the day). So she's going to come by today to pay me for last week.

But she's can't pay me for during the time she's out of work.

She's also in the works of buying a home, or so she says. So she's got to get a job now. She said she was getting ready to sign this week on this house.

But the house is in the county over, which means DCB would change schools, which means I lose my 1 dcb. It totally sucks!

I tried a few other times to get more kids. The sibling group I did get didn't work due to the evening hours and the younger one cried all the time, it was just too much stress for DS and me.

There's a bunch of other people with ads in the paper right now looking for kids in our small town. So I don't think I'm going to have much luck.

I just want to cry! Even though I wasn't making that much money on this one child it was something!

It's not worth it for me to find a job and put DS in a child care somewhere. For one I wouldn't bring home much money after paying a sitter. Then I have to worry about his allergies there. And I just don't want to have to deal with the stress of it.

My DH works until 6:00, so I can't really get an evening job.

Why is it just when you think things are going good money wise you have a set back?
Amy, I'm so sorry!!!!! I hope something works out for you that you can take on another family when this one is gone. Have some faith, what is meant to happen will happen & I'll be hoping you find some new families soon. Are you concerned that she may not pay you for that week? I hope she pays you like she said she would.
Persephone 07:01 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Amy, I'm so sorry!!!!! I hope something works out for you that you can take on another family when this one is gone. Have some faith, what is meant to happen will happen & I'll be hoping you find some new families soon. Are you concerned that she may not pay you for that week? I hope she pays you like she said she would.
No, I think she will come by and pay for last week. She said she would and she always has done what she said. Plus if something happens and she doesn't get this house in the next town, she'll have to stay a little longer, so once she gets a job she will need me.

I'm not sure that she will get a house. She always has problems with bills. She tells me all the time about it. Bouncing checks and what not. She even told me that she needed to change from paying me on Fridays at pick up to Saturday mornings she would drop it off because her check (at the job she lost) was not getting deposited until Friday evenings, so she was bouncing because she was taking money out to pay me.
SimpleMom 07:21 AM 02-22-2010
I'm so sorry as well. I hope that things turn around for you soon!
Persephone 07:24 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
I'm so sorry as well. I hope that things turn around for you soon!
Thanks!

I was planning on trying to just do School Aged children for the Summer. I enjoy going on little trips with my son, like the zoo and parks and stuff, so having school aged would work out great. I live near the schools, so I could keep them for before and after schools during the school year.

So I'm thinking maybe to just start advertising for the summer already.
originalkat 08:53 AM 02-22-2010
Oh man! That is no good. Don't worry. I am sure something will work out soon. I always lift up my business to the Lord and ask Him to send the right families my way. He has always been faithful! I will be praying for you to fill your opening soon!
Persephone 08:57 AM 02-22-2010
Thanks O-Kat.

The mom came by and paid and said that she's hoping to get a job this week. But that won't help if she moves.

But I just sent a message out to all my local facebook friends, letting them know I'm looking for school aged children for the summer. I need to write up what I want my ad to say in the paper and I'll have that ran on like Thursday - Saturday. So I've got a few days to think about it. I think I can email the paper on Wednesday and get it in on time.
MarinaVanessa 09:49 AM 02-22-2010
When I first started my DC it was hard to find kids to enroll. I put ads in the paper, asked friends etc. I had originally wanted to do it because I had the problem of not bringing home enough after having to pay someone to watch my little girl too. You just have to think out of the box. I used every FREE kind of advertising I could think of: Creative DC profiles on myspace, facebook, craigslist, free website at freewebs.com, flyers I made and printed at home and distributed in my neighborhood, at nearby schools, libraries and parks. I even accepted subsidized payment. When I did that I found out that at my local child care refferal agency (Child Development Resources in Oxnard, CA) that they would add my daycare info to their refferal listing for free. Parent's would call and give the address of where they need childcare at and they would mail or fax a list of all of the providers in that area.

Before I did all of that however I had to realize that I had to stand out. I offered evening care for parent's with retail schedules that didn't get out until 11pm or so, overnight care for those who worked nights (who doesn't want to get paid for a child that sleeps), I offered drop-in care for parent's that just needed a night out or one day of care or for doing errands etc. I offered pick-up service for kids that went to the same school as my little girl and which got out at the same time as she did. I offered a program that had more outings and walks, trips to parks, museums etc (at no additional charge) I joined the USDA food program and offered healthy meals and restructured my activities. I offered simple sign language and spanish language into my daily activities through videos, flashcards and practice (i can speak spanish). I did a lot and all or just a few can help attract customers. These are just some ideas that may help you, hope they do help.

Here are some other free internet sites to create ads in:

www.cafcc.org/1ccprov.html
Google.com/LocalBusinessCenter
SuperPages.com
Put an ad in aol yellow pages.

Also you can sign up at providerwatch.com which is a free credit reporting and credit checking site just for daycare providers an get a free basic listing here with Daycare.com
Tags:payment
Reply Up