Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys Getting Old
littlemommy 07:05 AM 08-19-2011
My daycare kids (and son) are getting bored with the toys I have. The only things they are interested in are Duplos and wooden blocks. I've tried rotating the toys I have, but I just don't have a lot.

What are some of your 18 month-3 year favorites?
godiva83 07:17 AM 08-19-2011
My kiddies love cardboard boxes lol easy to come by and oh so cheap- we have built castles, cars, trains, or even just the big old brown box.

They also love anything musical. Drums, tambourines, maracas,
The wooden puzzles from Mellisa and Doug
And these dolls made for the Waldorf Schools... They look kind of strange and have no expressions (no mouth) so they can be whatever they want sad, happy, scared... They really use their own imagination with them
PitterPatter 07:25 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
My daycare kids (and son) are getting bored with the toys I have. The only things they are interested in are Duplos and wooden blocks. I've tried rotating the toys I have, but I just don't have a lot.

What are some of your 18 month-3 year favorites?
They love the manipulative toys, we have a varity of sets of those. They also like the kitchen & dishes. The tool bench and tools. Beads and strings, lacing cards, sort and stack. Two of my kids just can't stay with ANY toy longer than 10 mins. They play for a few then say "I'm done" and want something else. I don't think there is a toy that doesn't egt played with on a daily basis here. I think duplos and blocks are just all all time fav with every child.
renodeb 07:36 AM 08-19-2011
The best toy addition I have ever made is a pretend play kitchen, talk about hours of fun. The best part about it is that I bought it for $50.00 at Once upon a child. I would watch craigs list, or your local second hand shops. I recently bought one of those 2 dollar over sized balls that walmart has in those bends, they have loved bouncing that around. I actually just bought another one becasue I think they are a sesonal item. Its hard to keep the toy ideas fresh, I dont have alot of toys either but we manage. Good luck!
littlemommy 07:48 AM 08-19-2011
We have a kitchen set, but most of the food toys are put away. I had too many kids putting them in their mouths! I really should get more stuffed animals and dolls. I have mostly girls in my care, and i know they would enjoy them. And hey, a doll may help prepare my 18 month old son for his baby brother or sister that's due in January.

I think Duplos are the coolest things! They are great for all ages-especially because they are big and chunky.
I think I'm going to hit some garage sales tonight and tomorrow and hope to find some deals.
PitterPatter 07:51 AM 08-19-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
We have a kitchen set, but most of the food toys are put away. I had too many kids putting them in their mouths! I really should get more stuffed animals and dolls. I have mostly girls in my care, and i know they would enjoy them. And hey, a doll may help prepare my 18 month old son for his baby brother or sister that's due in January.

I think Duplos are the coolest things! They are great for all ages-especially because they are big and chunky.
I think I'm going to hit some garage sales tonight and tomorrow and hope to find some deals.
If you use Facebook check and see if you have a local FB yardsale or Garage sale page. People list toys on ours all the time! Then you can look at the stuff right from home and know what you are going to get. Ebay is good too!
MommyMuffin 08:28 AM 08-19-2011
You may already have these but I found that my dck (They are ALL boys!!) the love cars. I have chunky cars and matchbox cars. I bought a little track for them, the toy story spiral one from target and they really havent touched it.

My kids get bored too, but no money to but more toys right now so tough luck for them for a while.
Abigail 08:53 PM 08-19-2011
Our 2-3 year olds (boys and girls) love using a 1 foot tall house to put toy dino's/plastic small animals in....they all live in the house. They also love dolls and blankets....no fancy doll furniture or clothing they rip the clothes off never to be played with again and just wrap up the babies over and over. Maybe because we have 2 babies under the age of 7 months? Hmm, we have lots of those $1 cars from the Walmart endcaps which everyone loves and unfortunately a few each day end up under the fridge! Pretend phones are a HUGE deal, those are from the checkout lanes at Walmart for under $5 each. Lastly, action figures! Our daycare doesn't have any wooden building blocks or else those would be a hit as well.
Crazy8 05:31 AM 08-20-2011
Hit up some garage sales on a Sat. morning!! When I was repainting/organizing my playroom a few weeks ago I went out to garage sales 2 saturday mornings (I never go to them!) and I got 3 like-new baby dolls, a cute pink crib for them, a bag full of dinosaurs, some addition/subtraction games, a few new board books, and a few other things - came home spending less than $10!!!
Tags:play kitchen, toys, toys - getting old, toys - throw away
Reply Up