Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it Really January?? In MN?
mema 01:26 PM 01-05-2012
It is 55 degrees outside and the sun is shining

We are gonna hit the park! Too bad the sun sets before 5pm otherwise we would stay til pickup!

I really don't miss the fact that we have NO snow and haven't had hardly any this year!

Happy Thursday
Breezy 01:31 PM 01-05-2012
I live in Tucson but I am from Minneapolis area and my whole family is still there. I can not believe there is no snow and the weather is so nice!!! We will be on vacation there in Feb
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 01-05-2012
Ok, I may be the Debbie Downer of the bunch but I WANT SNOW!!!!!! I have a snowmobile that hasn't gotten many miles and I think it is starting to think I have abandoned it.

Don't get me wrong, I love summer too but if it is gonna be this warm and not snow then I think we just need to fast forward to June (boating weather)
Oneluckymom 02:14 PM 01-05-2012
Haha...I'm in Cali and it's been over 80 this whole week. Yeah, I know...that's Cali for ya.
jen 02:58 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, I may be the Debbie Downer of the bunch but I WANT SNOW!!!!!! I have a snowmobile that hasn't gotten many miles and I think it is starting to think I have abandoned it.
LOL...I have been hearing that from my husband since December 1!
KEG123 03:02 PM 01-05-2012
I know what you mean! We're in IL and it was 56 today and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! I loved it, but it is so STRANGE to have no snow!!
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by jen:
LOL...I have been hearing that from my husband since December 1!
I guess I shouldn't complain too much... I own my snowmobile. My brother finally caved and bought himself a 40th birthday present this year....a brand new snowmobile for about $12,000 (BIG payments) and wouldn't ya know....no snow!!
Michael 03:43 PM 01-05-2012
While I like it being warm here, it really makes me wonder what's up. I never remembered it being this hot in January. I guess as long as it doesn't snow in July I shouldn't worry.
Cat Herder 03:56 PM 01-05-2012
We made it to 60, today. The sun actually came out....

I had not seen that here in a few weeks.
Heidi 05:23 PM 01-05-2012
In middle WI, we had a high of 52....it's 48 now and the sun is down!
countrymom 05:26 PM 01-05-2012
it was 33 degrees today and it was warm, my dh owns a snowmobile too (he drives it in the back field) he's all mad because he finally got a new plow for the atv, spent hours rigging it up and theres no snow.
mema 07:11 PM 01-05-2012
In some ways I do miss the snow. The skating, sledding, and fort building, but I don't miss having to get up early to shovel the driveway and sidewalks! I'm sure February will be pay back time and we'll have snow til May.
e.j. 07:57 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by mema:
but I don't miss having to get up early to shovel the driveway and sidewalks!
I don't miss the struggle to get six kids under the age of 4 into snowsuits, boots and gloves, only to hear, "I need to go potty!" just as we're all finally ready to go outside. I also don't miss having to dig two year olds out of the snow when their boots get stuck in the snow or constantly having to put mittens back on kids who keep taking them off despite the cold. No snow here, either, and I'm hoping it stays that way.
SilverSabre25 07:59 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
While I like it being warm here, it really makes me wonder what's up. I never remembered it being this hot in January. I guess as long as it doesn't snow in July I shouldn't worry.
What's up is some weird weather patterns. Usually in December/January there's a block of arctic air being held in place by another block of air in Greenland. This year, that Greenland block is not present, allowing all the cold air to stay up where it belongs way up north in the Arctic. Now, there's this weird trough of VERY warm air being sucked up the middle of the United States, bringing record-setting and even record smashing highs to the North-Central part of the US and even into Canada (Dakotas, for example)

Blackcat31 08:13 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What's up is some weird weather patterns. Usually in December/January there's a block of arctic air being held in place by another block of air in Greenland. This year, that Greenland block is not present, allowing all the cold air to stay up where it belongs way up north in the Arctic. Now, there's this weird trough of VERY warm air being sucked up the middle of the United States, bringing record-setting and even record smashing highs to the North-Central part of the US and even into Canada (Dakotas, for example)

Silver, it's late and I am working with the small number of brain cells that are still awake so please don't take this wrong (as it is meant as compliment) but you totally remind me of Encylopedia Brown.
SilverSabre25 08:18 PM 01-05-2012

Silver, it's late and I am working with the small number of brain cells that are still awake so please don't take this wrong (as it is meant as compliment) but you totally remind me of Encylopedia Brown.
lol no worries. I am a little teensy bit of a weather nerd. :P Well, I'm an all-around nerd (I'm sitting here switching between the internet and a game of Civilization 4 that I play on Thurs. nights over the computer with several of my family members, waiting for my husband to get home so that we can watch some Big Bang Theory) but weather is one of those things that I check the weather report for fun. And read about it. For fun.
Meyou 03:03 AM 01-06-2012
We had a sprinkling of snow yesterday and the kids couldn't get enough. I had to force them inside when it started to get dark. It's amazing how a little snow totally changes how you feel about outside in winter.
DCMom 04:25 AM 01-06-2012

Don't get me wrong, I love summer too but if it is gonna be this warm and not snow then I think we just need to fast forward to June (boating weather)
I'm with you! If you don't like snow, don't live in Minnesota! lol~

My son has a snow removal business. Needless to say, this isn't a good year I hope we get something soon!

We go on a 'Winter Vacation' the first week of February every year...seems like waste of $$$ this year! But it's already booked, I'll have to suffer through

On the upside, we did walk to the park yesterday and the kids really enjoyed it. They probably will ask to go again today
melissa ann 04:41 AM 01-06-2012
Tue and Wed it was freezing. 14 degress in the morning. (and at the bus stop)
now the next couple of days they want it around 50. This weather is really weird. IT's farm show week in Harrisburg, PA and a lot of years we would get hit hard with snow. But not the past few years or even for this year. It's been above average temps. I tell me kids that when I was younger we would some awesome snow storms. We used to build snow forts. I remember we got hit hard with snow. Cars were covered. Some of the people in the neighborhood forgot where they parked their cars, so everybody just took a big mound of snow and dug it out. People were freindlier back in the 80's.
I think our last biggest snowfall was the blizzard of '96.
We did have snow this past halloween weekend. Which was strange.
I want snow. But I want it to be worthwhile. You know, at least a foot
Zoe 06:07 AM 01-06-2012
I'm okay with the warm weather, however I NEED snow! Our puppy just destroyed our yard this summer and what was left of the grass died because the ground never fully froze and we were afraid to water the lawn. So now every time someone comes over they get to see our awful yucky yard and it is SO embarrassing! I just want a whole bunch of snow to cover it up so I don't have to deal with it until spring when we can reseed.

That and I don't like to go outside when it's muddy. Oh, and we can't go outside anyway because both of my own children have come down with some sort of stomach bug! Bring on the snow!
Tags:weather, weird
Reply Up