Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: When do you tell prospective parents your rates?
Before the interview 31 88.57%
During/after the interview 5 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Tell Prospective Parents Your Rates?
melilley 06:45 AM 02-14-2013
When do you tell parents your rates? Before or after/during an interview? Before includes over the phone, through emails, on your website etc....
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 02-14-2013
My rates are 100% dependent on each indivual family's needs so I don't give rates until I know their schedule.

Once they give me their schedule, I will structure a rate agreement for them.
Springdaze 06:59 AM 02-14-2013
I tell them after I let them know about my program so I can tell them what they are paying for. I feel that they need to know because yes, you should want the best money can buy, but if you cant afford it, why go through the trouble. I would tell them during first contact if they asked.
canadiancare 07:01 AM 02-14-2013
I have a policy handbook that I email to them prior to the interview. I tell them to read it and make sure they are comfortable and want to proceed before we meet in person. I only have 5 spots and the rate is 35$ a day full-time. I have 2 families who share one of the spots (one child Mon, Wed, Fri) and the other is here Tues and Thurs. They are both school teachers with grandparents sharing care so we were able to work this out. I normally don't accept part-time children. One of the part-timers goes to school full-time in Sept and if the other one doesn't want her 2 days I will term him for a full-time child.
wdmmom 07:41 AM 02-14-2013
Initial correspondence. I ask what days and hours they are needing care. I tell parents they contract hours with me and that if those hours change, the rate changes.

For example: DCF makes initial contact. I ask what their work hours are and the hours they are needing childcare (both parents). I don't allow them to pack hours on the front or end of the day.

My experience is that DCF's will say they need care from 7am - 5pm for Little Johnny but mom's work hours are 9am-5pm and dad's work hours are 6am-230pm. I then tell them that dcm can drop off at 830am and dcd can pick up at 3pm. Not only is it more beneficial for the child to spend as much face time with their parents as possible, but I don't want to be in a situation where I fell as if I'm raising their child. (Not to mention but that added 3 hours a day of padding can raise their rate on the upwards of $40 per week!)
Mom&Provider 08:12 AM 02-14-2013
I don't see a point in having someone come for an interview/tour in person if my rates don't work for them, so I tell them over the phone.

I have set daily hours, so their schedule won't change what they pay. I tell them first my hours, my general schedule and price. I go over what they need to provide vs what I provide when/if we meet.
CedarCreek 08:19 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
I don't see a point in having someone come for an interview/tour in person if my rates don't work for them, so I tell them over the phone.

I have set daily hours, so their schedule won't change what they pay. I tell them first my hours, my general schedule and price. I go over what they need to provide vs what I provide when/if we meet.
I'm pretty much the same
MsCathy 09:26 AM 02-14-2013
I have a set price for each age group regardless of hours. I only offer full time care. I tell parents right up front when the call. I explain my program and what their fee includes...

My time is precious as is theirs....no need to waste it. I find today's parents's just want the cheapest prices with the longest hours.... Sad but true!!!
MarinaVanessa 10:06 AM 02-14-2013
People can pretty much figure out how much my rate will be for them on their own and because I don't like to waste people's time and don't like to have my time wasted I have them posted right on my website.

It's pretty easy for them to figure it out.
If they need 4-5 days up to 50 hours a week that's FT and that's a set weekly rate.
If they need 3 days or less a week up to 30 hours that's PT and also a set weekly rate.
If they need more than 10 hours a day they add an extra $5 per hour per day.
If they need more than 50 hours per week for FT they add an extra $5 per hour.
If they need an earlier pick-up time or a later drop-off time than my business hours they add an extra $5 per hour and I must OK is first (I don't announce this).

It's easier for me to have it right on my website for them to see and I have it say "Prices are non-negotiable". This way they know what I charge and they can determine whether or not they can afford it before they even call me.

If they call me and got my info from a referral listing and haven't been to my website I'll ask for their schedule and then with that I tell them what their rate would be then refer them to my website. I also e-mail them a Parent Packet which is everything that I would give to a client that wants to sign up. I want to make sure that they know what they are getting into before we set up an interview.
SunnyDay 11:29 AM 02-14-2013
On our website. I hate talking on the phone, so anyone I can weed out ahead of time is a HUGE plus to me!
Evansmom 11:55 AM 02-14-2013
In my first response email or phone call. I get it right out front. I charge the second highest rates that I've found in this area and for some it's a deal breaker so as to not waste anyone's time I put it out there.

I also email them a copy of my contract and policies before we have an interview. That way thy can decide if they can follow my policies before we get into interviewing.
kitykids3 12:55 PM 02-14-2013
I tell them when they ask, which is usually their first email to me.
I do always try and 'sell' my program to them first, then find out what days/hours they need and give them their weekly rate then.
LaLa1923 05:36 PM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My rates are 100% dependent on each indivual family's needs so I don't give rates until I know their schedule.

Once they give me their schedule, I will structure a rate agreement for them.
How do you do this? What kind of fee structure do you use?
Tags:interview - rate, rate quote
Reply Up