Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice--Would You Close?
MNMommy2 04:18 PM 03-03-2013
My little one has been sick this weekend. It started as a cold, but today she vomited, has a slight fever, and has had about 10 diarrhea diapers today. She wants to play, but doesn't last long before she needs to snuggle and rest.

She may be feeling better by tomorrow, who knows, but do you risk it? My older one was throwing up last night after being with her cousins. They have had something go through their house too. The incubation seems pretty quick and I am afraid that if I have kids tomorrow they are going to get sick! I have my dcbaby tomorrow, too, and don't want him to get this!!

Two weeks ago I had my vacay, so I hate to be closed, but my gut is telling me to. If it were reversed, I wouldn't want the dck coming if they had vomiting and diarrhea the day before...
momofsix 04:34 PM 03-03-2013
I'd close. This stuff seems to be VERY contagious and you don't want it going through every kid in the daycare It will also give your kids a chance to feel better without the busyness of the daycare going on around them.
MNMommy2 04:35 PM 03-03-2013
This is what I was thinking, too. The guilt takes over sometimes and I try to do what is best for the families. But it would not be best for them if their kids get sick!

Thanks for the response.
MyAngels 06:26 PM 03-03-2013
Unless you have the ability to separate your little one from the group somehow I'd close, too.
cheerfuldom 07:19 PM 03-03-2013
I never close. i do call the parents and let them take the chance if they want to and then i separate the sick kids as much as possible....but again, i dont close. i only have 3 to 5 daycare kids at a time though. if i had a huge group, i might feel differently.
Play Care 03:10 AM 03-04-2013
When my own kids were that little and sick I closed. I didn't have a sub/assistant and knew my little ones would need me. Now that they are older I almost never close when they are ill as they can stay upstairs and are really too old to want to play with the dc kids.

If you are going to be busy disinfecting, hold kids over buckets, cleaning sheets, etc. do you really want extra kids there?
I hope your litte ones are feeling better!
Scout 04:13 AM 03-04-2013
I would probably close! I had the stomach bug in Nov and even though none of my own family got it my one and only dcb did!! And I spent most of the day quarantined in bed since dh was off! I felt awful that I got him sick!
AnneCordelia 04:14 AM 03-04-2013
I have four kids and if I closed every time one was sick I would be very unreliable indeed. I don't close when my own kids are sick. I hope yourlittle one feels better!
Mom&Provider 06:48 AM 03-04-2013
Stomach bug, I close 100% of the time. It's not fun tending to your own child vomitting/soaking diapers and running to care for another persons child at the same time. It's very stressful, you're spread so thin, not to mention not good for anyone in your care that hasn't had it yet or your own children who want Mommy hugs and cuddles to themselves!

If your little one had 10 wet diapers yesterday, that's a sure sign it's at it's peak! I'd also consider the fact that your older child is vomitting...time to close! Don't guilty, you can't control who and when everyone gets sick! This is NOT your fault.
Reply Up