Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Legal?
sally 10:23 AM 08-22-2013
One of my daycare families is I'm guessing trying to save money by having their 5 almost 6 year old ride the bus home instead of coming here. On most days one of the parents gets to the house within minutes of her getting off the bus but on early out days she will carry a house key and be alone for at least 2 hours. It may be going well now but what about during the winter? We are in Iowa and we have very cold icy snowy winters. Is that legal for one so young to stay home alone? They don't even have a home phone for her to call 911 if there is an emergency plus their neighbors are not home until way late so she can't even run next door in an emergency. I watch the younger brother and the parents have to come by for him anyways so I don't understand why she doesn't come to a safe home where someone is always here.
sharlan 10:25 AM 08-22-2013
I think I would make an anonymous call to CPS. That is not a safe situation at all.
Cat Herder 10:28 AM 08-22-2013
Each state varies. I think it is 13 in my current State for latchkey kids. Check your local ordinances, too.

I was latchkey in kindergarten (until we moved) ... so know it can work with good neighbors. I grew up in South Blue Hair Central and got away with NOTHING...

The key is having access to an adult quickly, IMHO.
sally 10:32 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I think I would make an anonymous call to CPS. That is not a safe situation at all.
I thought about that. She is a very immature little girl plus she has had some major medical issues. She had aplastic anemia and had to have a bone marrow transplant. About 6 months ago while in my care she had a stroke and she isn't the same kid she was before that. I worry about her being home alone.
coolconfidentme 10:40 AM 08-22-2013
I was a latchkey kid, but would never dream of letting a child be one today. It's a different, scarier world we live in now.
Cat Herder 10:51 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by sally:
I thought about that. She is a very immature little girl plus she has had some major medical issues. She had aplastic anemia and had to have a bone marrow transplant. About 6 months ago while in my care she had a stroke and she isn't the same kid she was before that. I worry about her being home alone.
Sad situation. I'd be scared for her, too..

Prepare yourself that it is possible CPS will not intervene, though.

Parents simply are not held to the same standards as childcare providers.
TheGoodLife 11:01 AM 08-22-2013
One of my daycare families is I'm guessing trying to save money by having their 5 almost 6 year old ride the bus home instead of coming here. On most days one of the parents gets to the house within minutes of her getting off the bus but on early out days she will carry a house key and be alone for at least 2 hours. It may be going well now but what about during the winter? We are in Iowa and we have very cold icy snowy winters. Is that legal for one so young to stay home alone? They don't even have a home phone for her to call 911 if there is an emergency plus their neighbors are not home until way late so she can't even run next door in an emergency. I watch the younger brother and the parents have to come by for him anyways so I don't understand why she doesn't come to a safe home where someone is always here.
Could you call the school, if you don't want to cal CPS yourself? You could still be anonymous, and say that you've seen the child alone at home and felt concerned. Then the school could deal with CPS, if you do not wish to be the one to make the call. If they do not call CPS (I'm sure your DCM would let it be known if they were called) then I would DEFINITELY call yourself- that sounds so unsafe and you'd hate to be indirectly responsible if something DID happen and you knew you should have called Losing a family is better than having to live with the regret if something bad did happen.
I can't believe parents that put these situations in our hands
butterfly 11:05 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Could you call the school, if you don't want to cal CPS yourself? You could still be anonymous, and say that you've seen the child alone at home and felt concerned. Then the school could deal with CPS, if you do not wish to be the one to make the call. If they do not call CPS (I'm sure your DCM would let it be known if they were called) then I would DEFINITELY call yourself- that sounds so unsafe and you'd hate to be indirectly responsible if something DID happen and you knew you should have called Losing a family is better than having to live with the regret if something bad did happen.
I can't believe parents that put these situations in our hands
As a daycare provider, YOU are a mandated reporter. I wouldn't pass this on to the school. I would call to report. CPS may or may not do anything about it, but atleast you could live in good conscience that you did what you could.
JoseyJo 11:11 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
As a daycare provider, YOU are a mandated reporter.
My thoughts too- it is part of our JOB to report any possible unsafe issue to CPS. It can come back on you if someone else calls and they find out you knew and said nothing...
nanglgrl 11:16 AM 08-22-2013
In Iowa we don't have a certain age that children have to be before being left home alone. That said I would still call DHS so they can make sure it's a safe arrangement.
MyAngels 11:24 AM 08-22-2013
Have you spoken to the parents about your concerns? I think in this case I would be very point blank about the very dangerous situation they are putting their child in. If that didn't do any good, I'd be on the phone to both CPS and the school in a heartbeat. I can't imagine any circumstance where I would leave my medically vulnerable 5 year old alone with no way to reach anyone.
sally 11:48 AM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Have you spoken to the parents about your concerns? I think in this case I would be very point blank about the very dangerous situation they are putting their child in. If that didn't do any good, I'd be on the phone to both CPS and the school in a heartbeat. I can't imagine any circumstance where I would leave my medically vulnerable 5 year old alone with no way to reach anyone.
I did talk to the parents about it when they decided she wouldn't come here after school. They think she'll be fine and told her over and over that she's brave and she can stay home alone. I will be calling our dhs and see what or if they'll do anything.
Jack Sprat 11:58 AM 08-22-2013
In KS as long as a child is responsible (who determines this??) then they can stay alone. I had no idea! I would call the school and CPS. I agree they may not do anything but, you have done your part.
MotherNature 12:15 PM 08-22-2013
That's crazy! I was a latchkey kid 30-some years ago, starting at age 6 or so, but I knew about stove safety and important phone numbers, etc. To not leave a medically fragile child with any way to get a hold of help...i.e. a phone is not responsible parenting imo.
craftymissbeth 12:21 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
In KS as long as a child is responsible (who determines this??) then they can stay alone. I had no idea! I would call the school and CPS. I agree they may not do anything but, you have done your part.
Oh my!

I always thought KS law was 12 but apparently that's just a guideline
Jack Sprat 12:43 PM 08-22-2013
Me too CraaftyMissBeth! I was told by a fellow provider that its when the parents/guardians feel the child is comfortable. She said our licensing lady informed her of the age!
MyAngels 12:58 PM 08-22-2013
I did talk to the parents about it when they decided she wouldn't come here after school. They think she'll be fine and told her over and over that she's brave and she can stay home alone. I will be calling our dhs and see what or if they'll do anything.
Poor little girl, thank goodness she has you to be her advocate. I hope that something gets done in this case. Keep us updated, will you?
jenn 01:01 PM 08-22-2013
I would call. Better safe than sorry. I'm not sure anything will be done, but for your own piece of mind it is worth the call.
itlw8 01:54 PM 08-22-2013
I was told it is okay unless something happens. So if she does not get hurt, found on the street, get seriously sick then cPS won't do anything. But if she starts a fire, cuts herself with a knife. has another stroke, etc then the Parents will be in trouble and risk the consequenses. We had a family the children stayed with an 8th grader while mom worked night. CPS was fine with that.. then one night there was a fire. everyone was safe but CPS then got involved with the problem.
TheGoodLife 03:22 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
As a daycare provider, YOU are a mandated reporter. I wouldn't pass this on to the school. I would call to report. CPS may or may not do anything about it, but atleast you could live in good conscience that you did what you could.
Just to clarify, I myself would call CPS directly- I was just offering another option if she didn't want to do it in case the parents blamed her for the call!
cheerfuldom 04:08 PM 08-22-2013
How many early dismissal days would that be? Is that common in your area? Here it is maybe a half a dozen days here at most per year and honestly, as long as this kid was not too much trouble, I would just offer to take her for those days only. I wouldnt charge. especially since you are caring for the boy and provided the parents did not find some way to take advantage of it. Thats just me though.
nannyde 05:39 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
How many early dismissal days would that be? Is that common in your area? Here it is maybe a half a dozen days here at most per year and honestly, as long as this kid was not too much trouble, I would just offer to take her for those days only. I wouldnt charge. especially since you are caring for the boy and provided the parents did not find some way to take advantage of it. Thats just me though.
In des Moines it's a lot! Every Wednesday two hours early and a TON of no school days. It's redoinkulous
daycare 05:57 PM 08-22-2013
HS here has late start every Wednesday and the middle and elementary get out early every Wednesday by 2 hours
sally 07:48 AM 08-23-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
In des Moines it's a lot! Every Wednesday two hours early and a TON of no school days. It's redoinkulous
In our school district we have at least one early out a month but some months we have 4 or 5. So she could be home alone a lot. I did call but was told they would get back ro me. So i'll let everyone know what they say when they call me back.
Reply Up