Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Disablity
dave4him 02:03 PM 09-01-2013
Does anyone in the OK area have any knoweldge how to work with developmentally disabled kids. I have taken a new one on to watch after school and wasnt sure if there is a program i need to sign up for assistance or how that works. Thanks
Cradle2crayons 02:08 PM 09-01-2013
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Does anyone in the OK area have any knoweldge how to work with deveoplmentally disabled kids. I have taken a new one on to watch after school and wasnt sure if there is a program i need to sign up for assistance or how that works. Thanks
It depends on the disability. And if they are part of any programs already. Some programs will come to daycare instead of their home if the kid is there.

Can you give us more information and maybe we can help?
dave4him 02:27 PM 09-01-2013
His mom gets coverage for him through a triabal agency called Modoc. Which i am currently signing up for so i can get paid to watch him. Its a mental handicap mostly.
Michael 02:52 PM 09-01-2013
Does anyone in the OK area have any knoweldge how to work with deveoplmentally disabled kids. I have taken a new one on to watch after school and wasnt sure if there is a program i need to sign up for assistance or how that works. Thanks
Welcome back David
Cradle2crayons 03:01 PM 09-01-2013
His mom gets coverage for him through a triabal agency called Modoc. Which i am currently signing up for so i can get paid to watch him. Its a mental handicap mostly.
Oh I see!! If that's the only program her participates in, sounds like you are already on top of things.

I'd ask mom if ere are any other programs you need to know about. I have no idea about tribal programs.
dave4him 03:42 PM 09-01-2013
Kay thanks. I was just trying to see if there was any additional stuff i needed know about. I am pretty busy still working part time on weekends and nights again which sucks. And i am taking four online classes which doesnt help!
countrymom 06:25 PM 09-02-2013
whats exactly wrong. I have one that comes after school and on days off. Omg, he's a dream kid, so good. I treat him like the other kids, I just remind him to do things. I ask him alot of questions because he doesn't volunteer them (but which boy acually does lol!) I also remind the kids to involve him because he doesn't ask, but my kids are pretty good and always play with him (he's 11) also, he loves to play with balls so if you go outside its a good thing or he loves to jump on my trampoline too.
sahm1225 07:15 PM 09-04-2013
It depends on the disability, I guess.

My 19 month old is developmentally delayed. We always treat her the same as all the other kids with sometimes giving her a little extra love and help. She's very small, non-verbal and scoots (instead of crawl or walk). Meal times, she is the same as everyone else. During reading time or activities that require sitting for a period of time, she either gets partnered with an older child to help her or she sits with us.

Good luck and good for you for helping the family out>!
Tags:developmentally delayed
Reply Up