Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Use Audio-Wise At Nap Time?
Familycare71 12:13 PM 10-14-2013
I hope I asked that right!

I FINALLY got a speaker for my iPod in the dc room. I know I want to do audio books- but I can't decide if I should do them the entire nap time... I figure I can make playlists so it will just play for the entire 2.5 hours. But what do you all do? Audio books the entire time? Audio books then white noise or then music?
Thanks for any advice!
Cradle2crayons 12:17 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I hope I asked that right!

I FINALLY got a speaker for my iPod in the dc room. I know I want to do audio books- but I can't decide if I should do them the entire nap time... I figure I can make playlists so it will just play for the entire 2.5 hours. But what do you all do? Audio books the entire time? Audio books then white noise or then music?
Thanks for any advice!
I generally put KLOVE on during nap time and at bedtime if I have daycare kids I put on an audiobook cd and by the time it's over they are conked out. But we do story time before each also.
Blackcat31 12:19 PM 10-14-2013
I start with soft lullaby type music.

After about 20 minutes, I put the audio books on for the rest of nap time.

Those that sleep fall asleep usually within the first 20 minutes.

Those that don't lie quietly to hear the story.

I use my DVD player. I download the music and the stories onto blank CD's/DVD's and just use my DD player to play them.
JoseyJo 12:20 PM 10-14-2013
We use white noise- we have used music, and audio stories in the past but white noise seems to work better for getting everyone to go to sleep and most importantly, stay asleep!
CedarCreek 12:29 PM 10-14-2013
We do lullabies but if they are being particularly resistant, they lose lullabies and we move to white noise
Brooksie 12:29 PM 10-14-2013
I use a white noise machine. That's all. lol Just like JoseyJo it seems to be the only thing that keeps them asleep.
LeslieG 12:44 PM 10-14-2013
I used to use a fan and play white noise, but then those kids seemed to become very light sleepers. So now I just use a fan because I want them to be used to a little noise disturbances (from other kids or neighbors outside, etc.).
daycarediva 01:45 PM 10-14-2013
Fan and classical music. By request of a dcb who had a birthday last week, we used the minecraft theme song, and they LOVE IT, so that's on repeat. I use my cd player.
Unregistered 03:05 PM 10-14-2013
i have an old small radio, I play classical music very low and have a fan in the room , thats it, has worked for years,
Bookworm 05:34 PM 10-14-2013
I use my iPod with speakers. I usually play Asian, Mediterranean or Middle Eastern music. I use a fan too.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:57 PM 10-14-2013
Sparkle stories are awesome! My daughter listens to them as she goes to sleep at night (and in the car, and during the day...). One of the series is "Sparkle Sleepytime, " and they're designed to be calming. You buy them individually or by subscription (totally worth the money), but there are lots of freebies on their site so you can try them out.
MissAnn 06:10 PM 10-14-2013
I have all kinds.....Dr Seuss, where the wild things are, magic tree house, goodnight moon, skippy john jones, the little engine that could.
e.j. 06:38 PM 10-14-2013
I never thought to use audio books at nap time but that sounds like a great idea. I may have to try it.

Last Christmas, I played Christmas CDs at nap time. I noticed that whenever I played my Martina McBride Christmas CD, the kids fell asleep almost immediately. I've been using it at nap time ever since. It's so gentle and soothing that even my non-nappers fall asleep most of the time.
Leanna 08:41 PM 10-14-2013
Lullabies usually (all kinds, I have some favorites but I check out new ones from the library from time to time). BUT some of my kiddos won't fall asleep if there are words to the music (they will sing along lol) so I use classical music a lot too.
Sunshine74 09:56 PM 10-14-2013
We have lullabies (instrumental). We tried using Pandora but with the ads, it was too much of a disruption.
delferka 05:12 AM 10-15-2013
A fan!
LoraJenkins 05:39 AM 10-15-2013
I play classical music & soft instrumentals. Anything else seems to keep them awake. I have music channels on my cable and that is what I use. I am going to check out audio books, the older kitties that have a hard time napping may enjoy them (and maybe they will stop playing on their cots).
Maria2013 05:43 AM 10-15-2013
I use a dehumidifier
Jack Sprat 11:11 AM 10-15-2013
Pandora set to Chopin...it plays through most of the house.
misslori50 04:13 PM 10-15-2013
i use a fan also
Familycare71 09:27 PM 10-15-2013
Thanks everyone!!! I currently use white noise but have seen on here the mention of audio books a few times- I figured it wouldn't hurt to add some literacy into nap- and hopefully everyone will lay quieter while falling asleep- I have one who won't stop chatting to himself! Maybe the others will hush him to hear a story
Familycare71 09:28 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Sparkle stories are awesome! My daughter listens to them as she goes to sleep at night (and in the car, and during the day...). One of the series is "Sparkle Sleepytime, " and they're designed to be calming. You buy them individually or by subscription (totally worth the money), but there are lots of freebies on their site so you can try them out.
Thanks for this! I was wondering how I would make sure they were calming stories without having to listen to them myself!
Tags:nap - music
Reply Up