Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Wish Is My Command
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:40 AM 11-04-2013
And say it with a dramatic flourish of the hand. Isn't that just what we would love to say almost daily?!

My gripe kinda goes along with the post "should i" about the special meal and nap times for supposed reflux. A dcd (and this is a family I really love) asked me this morning to begin getting 3yo dcb 30-45 minutes up from nap earlier than everyone else. So that they won't have to move his bedtime later as he's growing older and needs just a little less sleep.

I've tried explaining about group care impossibilities so many times in the past, and they JUST DON'T GET IT. Maybe I wouldn't either if I were on the other side. So, on most things, I just "smile and nod" then do it however it is that I need to do it either for the sake of the group or my own sanity. So far, so good.
Familycare71 06:48 AM 11-04-2013
That would be great!!!
And I agree- I have gotten really good at smile and nodding. Sometimes the convo just isn't worth it! And it's AMAZING how I change nothing- they assume I did- and dck does so much better!!!
littlemissmuffet 07:04 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
And say it with a dramatic flourish of the hand. Isn't that just what we would love to say almost daily?!

My gripe kinda goes along with the post "should i" about the special meal and nap times for supposed reflux. A dcd (and this is a family I really love) asked me this morning to begin getting 3yo dcb 30-45 minutes up from nap earlier than everyone else. So that they won't have to move his bedtime later as he's growing older and needs just a little less sleep.

I've tried explaining about group care impossibilities so many times in the past, and they JUST DON'T GET IT. Maybe I wouldn't either if I were on the other side. So, on most things, I just "smile and nod" then do it however it is that I need to do it either for the sake of the group or my own sanity. So far, so good.
"Joe, please understand there are two reasons that I do not accommodate alternate nap arrangements. The first reason is this is group care - and a large part of how and why group care works is because everyone is on the same schedule and routine. The second reason is that as the years go by I find more and more parents want to spend less and less awake time with their children. I believe that parents, especially those that are working and away from their children the majority of the day should be spending as much possible awake time with their children instead of rearranging schedules so that *I* am spending more awake time with the child. I already spend an average of 2 hours more per week of awake time with my daycare children then their own parents do - so no, I will not wake little Johnny up from nap early so he can keep his current bed time. Part of being a parent is adjusting YOUR schedule and routine to meet the needs of YOUR child as s/he grows."
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

If I were in your shoes, I would jump at making this request happen!

Why? Because it's an opportunity to make some extra money.

If I allowed a child to get up from rest time a little earlier than others, I would have to hire an assistant to supervise that child. I would then have to charge that cost to the parent.

I would also charge the parent a ton more for a regular rate because "specialized care/services" costs extra. ALOT extra!

So tell the parents at pick up today that you will gladly accommodate their special request. Then hand them an invoice.

Bet they re-think what they are asking you.
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:14 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I were in your shoes, I would jump at making this request happen!

Why? Because it's an opportunity to make some extra money.

If I allowed a child to get up from rest time a little earlier than others, I would have to hire an assistant to supervise that child. I would then have to charge that cost to the parent.

I would also charge the parent a ton more for a regular rate because "specialized care/services" costs extra. ALOT extra!

So tell the parents at pick up today that you will gladly accommodate their special request. Then hand them an invoice.

Bet they re-think what they are asking you.
Blackcat, that is hilarious! I can just imagine the look on their faces!
cheerfuldom 01:01 PM 11-04-2013
I would want to say what some of the other posters said but honestly, after six years of doing this, I just stick by what works for me and be vague in my response to the parents. I would not commit to getting a child up early nor would i get in a confrontation about it. I just let them talk and then do whatever works for me. I know that sounds really bad but for unreasonable requests for special treatment, that is what I do. If they really push me for a commitment, I would just say, nap time is X to X and thats not negotiable.
Reply Up