Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Puzzles, How Do You????
daycare 01:36 PM 12-12-2013
How do you store your puzzles

My group LOVES puzzles. we have been having some puzzle issues where some of the younger ones will come and dump a puzzle and then move on to another center. They are not able to put it back together.

My rule is dump one, finish it before you move on, but that is not always possible for some of the kids.

I have learned pretty much who can do what puzzle, so I try to limit which ones they get.

But it seems like when they get put back, we are missing pieces.
Great Beginnings 01:47 PM 12-12-2013
I have learned to HATE puzzles for this reason! I keep them up high on a shelf and only get them down when the school agers are here to use them. Otherwise I have missing pieces, some down my vents, broken because they try to jam them in a space they don't belong etc! Ugh, stressful just thinking about it lol!
daycare 01:48 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
I have learned to HATE puzzles for this reason! I keep them up high on a shelf and only get them down when the school agers are here to use them. Otherwise I have missing pieces, some down my vents, broken because they try to jam them in a space they don't belong etc! Ugh, stressful just thinking about it lol!
lol you are sooo funny.

I have a 3 year old who can do a 250 piece puzzle. He has a great sense of spacial awareness.

I am starting to hate them too.....
daycarediva 01:51 PM 12-12-2013
Mine are on a puzzle rack. They ask for them, have to sit at the preschool table to work on them, and put them away before moving on. No free for alls and I just tossed a puzzle because it was worn out from use. It has no missing pieces.
daycare 02:01 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Mine are on a puzzle rack. They ask for them, have to sit at the preschool table to work on them, and put them away before moving on. No free for alls and I just tossed a puzzle because it was worn out from use. It has no missing pieces.
I have them set up on the floor. we have out 4 at a time. Two people work together to build the puzzle. When they are done, they bring it to me and they can change for another one or they can choose to help someone out that is struggling to finish one. That part works out ok. I have a lot of puzzles, all different sizes and shapes, so the puzzle rack did not work for us.
DaycareMom 02:19 PM 12-12-2013
I have a big plastic storage container. I only let them take one out at a time. They can't pick another until they finish. I do not have any other options when we do puzzles - it's just puzzles! I usually have to sit and help them.
snbauser 02:28 PM 12-12-2013
I have a puzzle rack near our table. Puzzles ONLY go at the table and yes, you have to put one back before you can take another out. I have a ton of puzzles so I rotate them based on the kids, the theme, the season, etc.
Maria2013 03:30 PM 12-12-2013
I keep mine out of reach, I take down one at a time for the kids to build in the library room, where no little one is allowed
harperluu 05:02 PM 12-12-2013
I always have puzzles or other small manipulatives on my kitchen table where the toddlers cannot reach them to dump them. I also have some open ended puzzles (they are picture tiles that can be arranged however a child would like) for the young preschoolers. This set up has worked well for me. I will take out a floor puzzle on occasion but only if I know the children are capable of constructing it on their own with only verbal guidance from me. I have floor puzzles of varying degrees of difficulty. Toddlers can help with the floor puzzle as long as they do not take apart the others work. If this becomes a problem then they are redirected.
Scout 05:07 PM 12-12-2013
Mine are also up high and I always buy them at Dollar Tree so they are only $1 each and range from 24-100 pcs. When I open them I mark the backs with marker with some initial related to the puzzle, i.e. MM or minnie mouse. They also have to ask and can only have one at a time and must clean up before moving on.
MCC 05:42 PM 12-12-2013
I used to have my puzzles on a low shelf that they could reach, but it was a constant mess with my under 3s. I have moved them to a higher shelf, and now we just get them out for a short period of time, and then put them back.

I was also starting to hate puzzles, so.much.mess.
MarinaVanessa 05:46 PM 12-12-2013
I'm transitioning from regular puzzles to pattern block puzzles. This way I don't worry about losing pieces. The point of puzzles is manipulation and small motor skills and the pattern block puzzles take care of spacial skills too so it makes things so much easier for me.

We have both of these but the first ones are my favorite because the boards help keep the pieces in, even my 2 year olds can do them.

daycare 07:02 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm transitioning from regular puzzles to pattern block puzzles. This way I don't worry about losing pieces. The point of puzzles is manipulation and small motor skills and the pattern block puzzles take care of spacial skills too so it makes things so much easier for me.

We have both of these but the first ones are my favorite because the boards help keep the pieces in, even my 2 year olds can do them.

I love those. I have both sets. I forget about them. I think I'll have to bring those out for puzzle time too.

Thanks for posting
Laurel 07:57 PM 12-12-2013
I only have 2 children who are old enough to do puzzles so I just get two puzzles out at a time. When they are tired of those 2 (in a few days) then I get 2 more out. They are up on the higher shelf that the baby can't reach.

I also have those thicker cardboard puzzles with 24 puzzles in the box (each have 3 pieces and they spell out three letter words). Those types I use on the kitchen table with the older two while the baby is in the high chair finishing up his bottle after meals.

Laurel
Lucy 08:36 PM 12-12-2013
I cut the picture of it off the box, then I put the pieces and the cutout in the smallest ziploc they will fit in. Many fit in quart size, but some need a gallon size.

My dc kids are age 5-10, so the puzzles are where they can reach them, but they still have to ask first. I'm usually ok with it, because it's a good way to occupy their time! They do it on my dining table. Whenever I have had younger kids, I've put the puzzles where only the 4 or 5 yo and up could get to them.
Familycare71 08:49 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have a big plastic storage container. I only let them take one out at a time. They can't pick another until they finish. I do not have any other options when we do puzzles - it's just puzzles! I usually have to sit and help them.

Play Care 03:18 AM 12-13-2013
Like others I keep puzzles up and they only come out when it's table time. I do have to sit and help them, so it's not an activity I can set up and do something else while they play. If I have kids just sitting and dumping and not wanting to put the puzzle back together, we clean up their puzzle and they get down from the table.
WImom 05:34 AM 12-13-2013
I have a few puzzles - the ones where they have only a few pieces are out all the time so I can put them back together easily. The ones are up higher for the older kids.

I found a great way to store my boxed ones -
Inside the drawer is a picture of the puzzle taped to the drawer so when they dump it out to use it they can still see the photo to help them if needed. So far it's been working great.
Attached: WP_20131213_001.jpg (112.1 KB) 
originalkat 05:44 AM 12-13-2013
I have a set of puzzles that go in a rack. All of them are 8-12 pieces. All but 1 of my kids can do them on their own. The one who cant has to get a partner to work with. The kids know they may only get 1 puzzle at a time. In addition, puzzles, books, and coloring are all in my opening/closing room which is off the kitchen when the kids get dropped off and picked up. These stay in this room so it is easy to keep them away from all the other toys in the learning room. I do not have boxed puzzles that I leave out. I have a few giant ones that I get out for special occasions.
Soccermom 07:04 AM 12-13-2013
I only allow puzzles during rest time - quiet time when all the babies are sleeping. Otherwise they dump them out and put them into trucks, baskets, the little kitchen oven...whatever they can think of.

I have them all in a big bin on top of a shelf with some of the other quiet time bins.

There have been times when I have forgotten to put them away after quiet time....I try to make it a fun game for the older kids - Who can find ALL 24 pieces to each different puzzle the fastest??! LOL It only works sometimes.
MarinaVanessa 07:21 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I love those. I have both sets. I forget about them. I think I'll have to bring those out for puzzle time too.

Thanks for posting
I know it's off topic but can I ask where you got your cut-out set? I got mine from PatternBlockPuzzle.com because they're hard to find but they're a bit pricey. I got a half set of 10 boards for $35 plus the bucket of shapes (the ones I got were the boards only and you have to buy the bucket of shapes separately). A full set of 20 is $70. Totally worth it if you ask me and I really like them because they are sturdy birch plywood so they'll last a long time but if I can get different boards for less all the better .
Kimskiddos 07:38 AM 12-13-2013
When my group are all 2.5yo + I keep a rack on the table. They have grasped the rules of one at a time and keeping them at the table.
When I have younger ones (like I have now) I keep the rack up on the counter, where toddlers have to ask permission but the older kids can easily reach.
I also store puzzles with the box cover and pieces in ziplocks.
daycare 07:40 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know it's off topic but can I ask where you got your cut-out set? I got mine from PatternBlockPuzzle.com because they're hard to find but they're a bit pricey. I got a half set of 10 boards for $35 plus the bucket of shapes (the ones I got were the boards only and you have to buy the bucket of shapes separately). A full set of 20 is $70. Totally worth it if you ask me and I really like them because they are sturdy birch plywood so they'll last a long time but if I can get different boards for less all the better .
best place on earth.....craigs list for $10....... I had to toss a few, but the rest were mint....
MarinaVanessa 09:16 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
best place on earth.....craigs list for $10....... I had to toss a few, but the rest were mint....
Aww man, not for anything but I look almost daily here and all that is posted are cheepo toys or battery operated ones and they want like $5 less than the original new price . The only time that I find good toys is when a provider closes or spring cleans. Yard sales and thrift shops are good places to look too but I really have to dig. Speaking of ... I have the morning off. I think I'll go Thrift store shopping today .
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:29 AM 12-13-2013
I keep out simple puzzles (the ones that are each picture goes in it's own space) in a rack (holds 4) on the shelf.
Others the cardboard ones from my daughters childhood days, are kept up and done at the table by the older ones.
Sometimes we use the puzzle pieces in our blocks- the animals.
Reply Up