Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Mom Wants DCK to Stop Napping
DaycareMom 04:06 PM 01-04-2014
This is the first time I have encountered this issue, but DCG4 usually always naps for at least an hour or two while she is here.
DCM is constantly saying, "She will nap for you? She NEVER naps for me or my mom." (She is with Grandma on Fridays). It's almost a daily "question".
She has done all but come out and directly ask me to stop giving DCG naps, so I am just waiting for it to happen.
I will not stop giving her a nap! That is my only down time over the course of a 11 hour day (10 of which she is here) that I get.

I plan to stand my ground, but was hoping for a nice way to word it to her.

Have you had to deal with this? What did you say to DCP when they asked to stop napping their child?
Maria2013 04:20 PM 01-04-2014
I have in my contract "nap is none negotiable"
Blackcat31 04:29 PM 01-04-2014
My handbook states two things that I cover REALLY WELL with clients.

One is nap/rest time and the other is "group care" and what that means.

Rest Time:

All children in attendance are required to participate in afternoon rest time.

Rest time is non-negotiable so please do not request that your child not participate.

Group Care:

ABC Care is a group child care and does not have sufficient staff or means to provide individualized child care services.

Requests for individualized care or services will be discussed and addressed with each family.
Most individualized services prevent the provider from following licensing regulations and/or compromises the care, safety and/or supervision of the other children enrolled.

Some states require that ALL kids nap if they are there. Mine does not but because ALL my kids nap at the same time, I don't have the staff to supervise two separate groups of kids and other than sitting at the kitchen table with me and my DH for the whole rest period, I don't have the space to accommodate a special request for a child to not nap.

I usually explain that to parents as well as let them know that although a majority of kids stop taking/needing naps at home on weekends, daycare is different. We get active and ALL the kids fall asleep, which tells me that they NEED that rest.

I also use the word rest vs nap time. It helps in some situations.

Bottom line though, is I don't provide services to kids that don't nap. If parents persist, I let them know that I am not changing my routine and that it may just be time for them to move on to a program that better fits their child's ever changing needs.

Nothing personal.
Mister Sir Husband 05:29 PM 01-04-2014
I will be having a nap time, but of course one cant force a kid to sleep. My handbook states that if the child doesn't actually nap then they need to be quiet so others can. If a kid is too difficult and refuses to be quiet I may consider it grounds for termination as this will be a group care setting and everyone needs to be respectful of others in the group.
nannyde 06:58 PM 01-04-2014
I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap.
daycarediva 07:20 PM 01-04-2014
I will take a TRUE non napper. I currently have one but he will rest, then get up and play on our area rug with a special toy, super quiet. I honestly consider it cruel to keep a child awake when they are tired. Seems like not providing a basic need. Bedtime issues (*eta:napping at home, too) are typically disciplinary, from what I have seen.
Cradle2crayons 07:32 PM 01-04-2014
Rest time here is also, non negotiable. However, my own son who is 5 and my dcb who is almost 7, go to my sons room during nap time and watch a show quietly. My son hasn't needed a nap since about he time he turned 5. He's asleep by 9:00 pm and awake on his own by 6:30 or 7:00 even not on school days.

I don't generally keep kids that are SA, but this is a 3 sibling set.

Now, the sisters of the SA boy are 2.5 and 3.5 and I have to be very firm with mom and let her know she needs to nap hem before they arrive at 4:00 pm. If she doesn't they are so tired they lay on the floor until bedtime. All it took was me calling her for pick up several times due to inability to participate in daycare. Fixed that problem right up. If they arrive earlier in the day, both girls take a nap. As does my special dcg and her little brother.

I explain all this at interview. Mainly because I do afternoon care. And while I know I can't force parents to nap them at home before arriving, I can call them for pick up every day they can't participate in daycare activities. That gets the point across quickly.
DaisyMamma 04:09 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I have in my contract "nap is none negotiable"
This.

Simply say that everyone must rest, they don't have to sleep. Those who fall asleep need it.
You can also add that the state requires it. This usually stops future questioning. You could even casually mention it next time she brings up nap.
Play Care 05:21 AM 01-05-2014
My contract says that "children who have outgrown nap have also outgrown care."
Maria2013 05:49 AM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I will be having a nap time, but of course one cant force a kid to sleep. My handbook states that if the child doesn't actually nap then they need to be quiet so others can. If a kid is too difficult and refuses to be quiet I may consider it grounds for termination as this will be a group care setting and everyone needs to be respectful of others in the group.

cheerfuldom 12:53 PM 01-05-2014
If this child always falls asleep, I would tell mom that you require a rest period of X amount and if a child falls asleep, then so be it. I don't actively keep kids awake but if a child is 4 and up and will remain quiet during nap time, then I do provide quiet activities. I don't run a three ring circus to keep them awake though. If they regularly fall asleep, I will not wake them and force the "no napping". I will accommodate it at MY discretion based on what I see a child needing while in my care.
TwinKristi 12:58 PM 01-05-2014
I had one 4yr old who needed a nap but would fight it so bad during quiet time. I only had him M & F so it was difficult. His mom worked til 6 and there were times he fought it so hard only to fall asleep sitting up playing at 4:30 and was still asleep when she arrived which I'm sure threw off his bedtime. I felt bad but I couldn't get him to sleep at nap and couldn't get him to stay awake after. He's at PreK now and they have quiet time at 12:30 but they don't have to sleep, only "rest" with hopes that they will.
Great Beginnings 05:37 AM 01-06-2014
I just say I'm sorry everyone has to have a quiet time. I don't have enough room and supervision to have a play area and a nap area. He/she must sit on their mat quietly and if they happen to fall asleep they must need it. I can not disrupt those sleeping to wake him/her throughout nap.
lilcupcakes09 06:50 AM 01-06-2014
After nap is quiet time, if they fall asleep so be it......they only fall asleep because they are tired. That would be the only thing I would say to Mom!
Jack Sprat 11:34 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My handbook states two things that I cover REALLY WELL with clients.

One is nap/rest time and the other is "group care" and what that means.

Rest Time:

All children in attendance are required to participate in afternoon rest time.

Rest time is non-negotiable so please do not request that your child not participate.
I have this exactly in my handbook! Thanks to BC! One parent did ask to keep dcb awake during rest. I told her I couldn't and wouldn't do that. Thankfully that was just a summer spot!
Starburst 09:00 PM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
This is the first time I have encountered this issue, but DCG4 usually always naps for at least an hour or two while she is here.
DCM is constantly saying, "She will nap for you? She NEVER naps for me or my mom." (She is with Grandma on Fridays). It's almost a daily "question".
She has done all but come out and directly ask me to stop giving DCG naps, so I am just waiting for it to happen.
I will not stop giving her a nap! That is my only down time over the course of a 11 hour day (10 of which she is here) that I get.

I plan to stand my ground, but was hoping for a nice way to word it to her.

Have you had to deal with this? What did you say to DCP when they asked to stop napping their child?
You can tell her that you will not force a child to stay up if they are sleepy. Plus if she is used to the routine she most likely will fall asleep at the same time at daycare.
Tags:nap - disruptions, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up