Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can't Walk
mountainside13 10:17 AM 04-01-2014
My 2 yo DS can't walk. He is fine when he is sitting on the couch but if I try to move him he will cry in pain. When I try to get him to stand he falls down and is in pain! I am freaking out! My hubby is on his way home with my sister so we can take him to the doctor and my sister will stay with the other kids. It is taking forever! Anyone else experience something similar?
CraftyMom 10:22 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
My 2 yo DS can't walk. He is fine when he is sitting on the couch but if I try to move him he will cry in pain. When I try to get him to stand he falls down and is in pain! I am freaking out! My hubby is on his way home with my sister so we can take him to the doctor and my sister will stay with the other kids. It is taking forever! Anyone else experience something similar?
Hmmm, since you must not have noticed him fall or anything, I wonder if he slept funny?
CraftyMom 10:23 AM 04-01-2014
I'd be at the docs office too!
Unregistered 10:26 AM 04-01-2014
same thing happened to my nephew- they never noticed a fall or trip or anything, just one day he wouldn't put weight on his leg. ER visit and xray- turned out to be a broken leg. I forget what they called it, but said it was a common thing around that age.
Meyou 10:38 AM 04-01-2014
When it happened to my dd she had a bone spur in her knee which is common in little kids according to the ER doc.
mountainside13 10:59 AM 04-01-2014
Finally on our way! I didn't see him fall. I have never heard of a broken leg or knee without a fall before. He has a history of Intussusception but he isn't showing the other signs. I really hope it's not that!
Mom2TLE 11:01 AM 04-01-2014
Look up toxic synovitis I think it's called. Nothing serious just a virus but that might be it.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 04-01-2014
I've had this happen with a couple of my DCK's before. Both boys.

I can't remember what it's called but it is somewhat common and not a big deal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001976/
melilley 11:15 AM 04-01-2014
Oh no,poor pumpkin. Let us know what the outcome is!
mountainside13 01:48 PM 04-01-2014
It can be 1 of 2 things toxic synovitis, you were right or septic arthritis. We are going back tomorrow morning for a blood test because the symptoms have to be present for 24 hours for accurate results. If it is septic arthritis then we will be reffered to an orthopedic surgeon for testing and a pic line with IV antibiotics for 6-8 weeks. I really hope it's not that!!!
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 04-01-2014
It can be 1 of 2 things toxic synovitis, you were right or septic arthritis. We are going back tomorrow morning for a blood test because the symptoms have to be present for 24 hours for accurate results. If it is septic arthritis then we will be reffered to an orthopedic surgeon for testing and a pic line with IV antibiotics for 6-8 weeks. I really hope it's not that!!!
Sending positive prayers and thoughts your way!
sharlan 01:58 PM 04-01-2014
Thoughts and prayers!
mema 01:59 PM 04-01-2014
Poor little guy. Hope he (and mommy) feel better soon.
Cradle2crayons 02:12 PM 04-01-2014
Yikes!! Big and prayers .... I have lots of experience with picc lines so if that does happen you are welcome to pm or call me with questions...

Hopefully it's not anything major though.
TwinKristi 02:24 PM 04-01-2014
Oh man I can't imagine!! my friend's almost 2yr old threw herself on the sidewalk in a tantrum and broke her foot! Same thing, was fine when sitting but freaked out when she tried to walk/stand.
mountainside13 03:27 PM 04-01-2014
Thank you everyone!!! I am trying not to worry and freak out but it's a little hard!

Cradle2crayons- thank you so much!! If they do have to put in a picc line I could really use the help! I have zero experience and little knowledge with them!!
NightOwl 03:31 PM 04-01-2014
My son had extremely painful growing pains where he couldn't walk. He cried and it was so pitiful.
Cradle2crayons 03:41 PM 04-01-2014
Thank you everyone!!! I am trying not to worry and freak out but it's a little hard!

Cradle2crayons- thank you so much!! If they do have to put in a picc line I could really use the help! I have zero experience and little knowledge with them!!
Not only have I had several myself... But my special dcg with the medical issues has had a few since she started care also... She had one in her arm and one in her femoral leg area... I can do those with my eyes closed...

Not to mention I have a port myself... Same concept.
CraftyMom 04:44 PM 04-01-2014
Geez! Poor boy!

SilverSabre25 06:56 PM 04-01-2014
OP, I really hope it's not super serious! Poor thing, and poor mama!

Originally Posted by Wednesday:
My son had extremely painful growing pains where he couldn't walk. He cried and it was so pitiful.
needs potassium.
mountainside13 10:25 AM 04-02-2014
We went to the doctor again this morning for the blood draw. They had to take a lot and the nurse messed up. he will have a decent bruise later, she admitted after it was done that she hasn't done blood draws for pediatrics in 3 years...not really something you want to tell parents when they are already worried.

They took blood for SED rate (think that's what it's called), white blood count, blood culture and juvinile rheumatoid arthritis. We should have the results fir the first 2 later today and the last 2 won't be until Friday.

He is doing better, a lot of limping and odd attemps walking. Really hoping it is on the mend and will be over soon!

Thank you for all the support !
spinnymarie 05:49 AM 04-05-2014
Glad to hear he is attempting to walk today! Hope results are good news.
SilverSabre25 08:07 AM 04-05-2014
How's your little dude doing, mountainside?
NightOwl 09:45 AM 04-05-2014
Updates?
mountainside13 07:02 AM 04-07-2014
It's been a busy weekend! The doctors nurse called on Friday and they want to monitor the blood culture for another 5 days to see if there is any bacteria growth. He is still in pain in the am after he wakes up and after afternoon nap. If there isn't any growth then it's not septic arthritis and it would be toxic synovitis, they are almost positive it isn't that (septic) but since he is still in pain they just want to be sure.

The juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is also a possibility. The test that came back on Friday was inconclusive. So we may have to test him again in (hopefully) 3-4 weeks along with auto immune disorders. But he has to healthy for 3-4 weeks! He is always fussy and cries for the first 5-10 minutes after he wakes up, the last week has been worse and lasts for 15-20 minutes. I always thought it was he's not a morning/after nap person like myself so I never talked to the doctors about it. Apparently that is a big sign of JRA, so kicking myself for not talking to the doc sooner.

I have talked to multiple nurses and they all kind of seemed to contradict the other in terms of results.

He has always been a "sickly" boy which is why we are going to test for an auto immune disorder. I know kids get sick roughly once a month the first two years to build up the immune system but my daughter and all the other daycare kids don't get sick like he does. It can't ever be just a cold! My family has a lot of doctors and nurses in it, so when they started to worry, I realized maybe I'm not just being a worry wart about it.

Thank you for everyone's advice, support and prayers!!!! You are all amazing!!!
llpa 11:01 AM 04-07-2014
It's been a busy weekend! The doctors nurse called on Friday and they want to monitor the blood culture for another 5 days to see if there is any bacteria growth. He is still in pain in the am after he wakes up and after afternoon nap. If there isn't any growth then it's not septic arthritis and it would be toxic synovitis, they are almost positive it isn't that (septic) but since he is still in pain they just want to be sure.

The juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is also a possibility. The test that came back on Friday was inconclusive. So we may have to test him again in (hopefully) 3-4 weeks along with auto immune disorders. But he has to healthy for 3-4 weeks! He is always fussy and cries for the first 5-10 minutes after he wakes up, the last week has been worse and lasts for 15-20 minutes. I always thought it was he's not a morning/after nap person like myself so I never talked to the doctors about it. Apparently that is a big sign of JRA, so kicking myself for not talking to the doc sooner.

I have talked to multiple nurses and they all kind of seemed to contradict the other in terms of results.

He has always been a "sickly" boy which is why we are going to test for an auto immune disorder. I know kids get sick roughly once a month the first two years to build up the immune system but my daughter and all the other daycare kids don't get sick like he does. It can't ever be just a cold! My family has a lot of doctors and nurses in it, so when they started to worry, I realized maybe I'm not just being a worry wart about it.

Thank you for everyone's advice, support and prayers!!!! You are all amazing!!!
I am praying for your little guy!! I was diagnosed with adult RA 32 years ago. Two of my own kids have an autoimmune issue. One has asthma, one has Celiacs disease. If he has JRA, find a good support forum online. They help a lot!
Kabob 11:04 AM 04-07-2014
I don't have any advice but I have been following this thread and keeping your family in my thoughts. I can't imagine the worry! Glad you're getting some answers though.
CraftyMom 12:03 PM 04-07-2014
I always thought it was he's not a morning/after nap person like myself so I never talked to the doctors about it. Apparently that is a big sign of JRA, so kicking myself for not talking to the doc sooner.
How could you have known? My son is a grouch when he wakes up too!
mountainside13 06:13 PM 04-07-2014
Awe, Thank you ladies! Your support and caring is so amazing and greatly appreciated!!!

It is such an odd sign! I'm trying not to beat myself up about it
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 04-08-2014
You sound like a loving mom, cut yourself some slack! I hope it's the most minor possibility and he can feel better very very soon. Poor little guy Poor MOM!!
llpa 07:13 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You sound like a loving mom, cut yourself some slack! I hope it's the most minor possibility and he can feel better very very soon. Poor little guy Poor MOM!!
This exactly!! RA has many signs and symptoms, always changing etc. Not one that a child could explain to you!! So don't be hard on yourself. I am sure You are a great Mommy!
Denise 06:32 PM 04-08-2014
Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Tags:can't walk, septic arthritis, toxic synovitis
Reply Up