Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer time as your own kids get older???
Crazy8 08:33 AM 05-30-2014
I hated last summer, it was hard doing this job with my own kids home. I have been a dcp for 13 years, but it has only been the last few years as my own kids got older (ages, 8, 11 & 14) that this has become an issue. They are BORED in summer. Last summer they were miserable and I am not anticipating this year to be any better. I do not transport dck's, legally not able to and couldn't fit them all in my van anyway and parents sign up knowing I don't bring them anywhere.

I can't drive them to a friend's house, I can't enroll them in camps because I can't get them there, can't take them to the beach, pool, etc. I am a prisoner in my own home from 7:30am - 5:00pm. And then add nap time from 1-3pm where even my kids bedrooms are being used.

When they were little it was fine, they played with the dck's in the yard, we go for walks, etc. but now they are too old for that. When DD was younger I had a friend who drove them to our town's inexpensive camp program but don't know anyone else who attends that now and camps that transport are thousands of dollars for the summer, can't even consider them as an option!!

I do this job to be home for my kids and during the school year all is great (although I wish I could end an hour or so earlier!) but summer time is really hard. In previous years I've had teachers kids mixed with other part timers and could end up with anywhere from 1-3 days off a week - this year I have all clients who work year round - so will be working full time all summer. I am really dreading it.

Just venting more than anything I guess, but any suggestions on how I can make this summer not suck for my own kids???
cara041083 08:42 AM 05-30-2014
Oh I know how u feel. Mine are 8 and 5 and are so board during the day and every day is becoming a struggle with them. They want to do so many things and I don't transport either. I decided this summer I will have my back up 1 day a month so I can take my older kids out for a day. I Cant Really Afford To Do That But I Cant Do Daycare If my kids aren't doing well with me doing it so I will make it work and figure it out. I hope it gets better for you. Sorry if there is any miss spellings I'm on my phone lol
Annalee 08:43 AM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I hated last summer, it was hard doing this job with my own kids home. I have been a dcp for 13 years, but it has only been the last few years as my own kids got older (ages, 8, 11 & 14) that this has become an issue. They are BORED in summer. Last summer they were miserable and I am not anticipating this year to be any better. I do not transport dck's, legally not able to and couldn't fit them all in my van anyway and parents sign up knowing I don't bring them anywhere.

I can't drive them to a friend's house, I can't enroll them in camps because I can't get them there, can't take them to the beach, pool, etc. I am a prisoner in my own home from 7:30am - 5:00pm. And then add nap time from 1-3pm where even my kids bedrooms are being used.

When they were little it was fine, they played with the dck's in the yard, we go for walks, etc. but now they are too old for that. When DD was younger I had a friend who drove them to our town's inexpensive camp program but don't know anyone else who attends that now and camps that transport are thousands of dollars for the summer, can't even consider them as an option!!

I do this job to be home for my kids and during the school year all is great (although I wish I could end an hour or so earlier!) but summer time is really hard. In previous years I've had teachers kids mixed with other part timers and could end up with anywhere from 1-3 days off a week - this year I have all clients who work year round - so will be working full time all summer. I am really dreading it.

Just venting more than anything I guess, but any suggestions on how I can make this summer not suck for my own kids???
I have a 10 and 12 year old. I plan to take a few personal days this summer along with working half days swapping out with my assistant on days we have a low number. Luckily we have a creek behind our house for fishing and my sisinlaw and bro have a pool and they live beside us. It is difficult sometimes in the summer which is where my personal days became so important in my contract.
spinnymarie 08:49 AM 05-30-2014
Any possibility of hiring a 16-yr-old (or more, driving age kid - college kid) to drive them around a bit? Like 2-3 hours per day, 3ish days/wk of a 'babysitter' that really just helps them get around? I used to do this over the summer as a kid.
SignMeUp 09:06 AM 05-30-2014
Could you check with your kids to see if they have friends doing anything that sounds good to them, and to you? Then maybe you could contact their parents and go with the "I buy, you fly" program. You could offer to pay for their gas, or even for their kids' fees, if it's a one-day type of thing.

Could you possibly take off a day every few weeks, or even an afternoon if that's more palatable to your dc parents? Then you and your kids could have plans together. Swimming, day trip, etc.

If any/each of them have special interests, is there any way to support it at home? Get them that special skateboard, or long-term craft project, or whatever you can do to give them something they love that can be done at home.

Is your oldest responsible enough and your youngest a good enough listener (to his/her sibling) to let them do a few hours of a bike trip to a park or something? Some freedom for them a couple times a week might help.

Any activities you work out, put it onto a calendar. Even for adults, knowing/seeing that you have something fun coming up can help.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I know I went through the same thing with mine and remember how tricky it was. It helped me to get a BUNCH of stuff on the calendar and all arranged in advance, and then when other little opportunities came up, it was an even bigger treat. And a couple of my kids' friends became really thoughtful and invited for fun stuff once they realized how much it was appreciated - it was more fun for their kids to have a friend along too!
Play Care 09:16 AM 05-30-2014
I hired an assistant. It allows me to get my kids to camps, lessons and programs. Even with that I plan on taking most Fridays off this summer to be able to do things with them.
I don't feel at all bad as most of my families take lots of time off in the summer and can easily hire a teen sitter for a day here and there if they have to.
Crazy8 09:17 AM 05-30-2014
I don't have an assistant or even a substitute (use my DH for that) but maybe I can find someone to do a few hours here and there during the summer. Financially it may hurt a little, but I have made it thru summers on half my usual income due to teachers kids, so I can probably manage it.

I have to ask my pool club about sending them with an older teen, not sure they are allowed to go without a parent but if they could that would be a great idea. My 14yo is very responsible, but there isn't anywhere I trust them to walk to or go to on their own nearby.

My older two will get invited to go with their friends here and there but then that makes it even worse for my 8 yr old who really doesn't have those types of friends that will take him yet - having his 11 yr old brother gone is MORE boring for him sometimes (when they aren't killing each other, LOL).

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep them coming.
Onetiredmom 09:21 AM 05-30-2014
I am in the same position. My kids are 11, 9, and 6 this summer, and we will be stuck at home for most of it. Thankfully our church has a camp up north that my older two will be attending for a week. I've also promised that we will go to the beach in the evenings after daycare kids are gone. My youngest still enjoys that daycare kids, but my older two, not so much. It's really hard. Another reason I will be done with daycare after this summer.
daycarediva 09:29 AM 05-30-2014
I have a similar issue. My kids are 15, 13, 9 and 6.

My 15yo is my unofficial helper in summer, she is paid, and uses this towards those school clothes I won't buy.

My 13yo has ASD. His private school is year round, there is a two week break between the end of the semester and the beginning of summer semester, and a two week break between the end of summer semester and the beginning of the next year.... we pay a LOT to send him to a special needs summer camp to help keep him on track and not unsupervised.

My real issue is my 9yo and 6yo. I just let an 8yo dcb go/last day is the last day of school, because I couldn't trust him alone with my kids (not the greatest influence). I do allow them to have more TV time/game time in summer but they are both too old to be hanging out with the littles, and too young to have plans with friends. My Mom is a teacher, is off all summer, and she said she MIGHT be able to come get them a day here and there to take them to her pool.

I have considered enrolling them PT in a school age program for smmer. It defeats the entire purpose of me staying home, but if they enjoy it and it keeps them busy and active, that's better for them.
Soccermom 09:29 AM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

What about hiring your oldest as a helper for the summer and allow them to plan activities and help care for the children.

Also for the two others you could plan theme weeks that involve activities that cater to all ages - Backyard campout, Water balloon fights, homemade pinatas that they can decorate, fill with candy and burst open....do you have a pool or slip and slide?

What about allowing the kids to build their own tree house or cabin in the yard? They could design it, build it with some supervision, paint it, decorate it and then have a hang out in the backyard away from the DCKS to chill out in.

You could also have them build a stage and work on setting up a really cool talent show or theatre with all the DCKS for the DCPS.

My kids have a great time with two kiddie pools and some water guns as well. Last summer we did a lot of theme days and they really liked that (My oldest two are 11 and 9). I let them pick out some of the themes.

Hope this helped
childcaremom 09:51 AM 05-30-2014
Some great ideas ^^^^

I planned special activities for my kids for during naps. Things that I knew they would like and new things to hopefully pique their interests.

I had my oldest two in paddling so they were gone for the entire day. My oldest takes the bus and my younger could walk to and from by himself. Otherwise it would have been one loooong summer, for everyone.

I am done next week but I kept saying that this would be the last summer that my youngest two (6 and 8) would be happy hanging out with dcks. I was going to try to move to teachers' kids only so that our summers would be open.

Good luck!
Crazy8 11:57 AM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
What about hiring your oldest as a helper for the summer and allow them to plan activities and help care for the children.

Also for the two others you could plan theme weeks that involve activities that cater to all ages - Backyard campout, Water balloon fights, homemade pinatas that they can decorate, fill with candy and burst open....do you have a pool or slip and slide?

What about allowing the kids to build their own tree house or cabin in the yard? They could design it, build it with some supervision, paint it, decorate it and then have a hang out in the backyard away from the DCKS to chill out in.

You could also have them build a stage and work on setting up a really cool talent show or theatre with all the DCKS for the DCPS.

My kids have a great time with two kiddie pools and some water guns as well. Last summer we did a lot of theme days and they really liked that (My oldest two are 11 and 9). I let them pick out some of the themes.

Hope this helped
Thank you for the input.

my oldest does help out, but not to the degree of really wanting to be here when all her friends are out. She's the one I worry least about because her friends mom's will come pick her up and they'll be gone all day. I do feel bad that I can't reciprocate but they understand too.

My dck's are young - ages 4months - 2 years old, so not really anything that they can do with my 8 & 11 year old sons. We do pull out the slip n slide, etc. for them in the summer but when they are alone it doesn't entertain them for very long.

I will take some vacation days. I am not sure how my families would feel about me bringing someone in and I am not sure I'd like the idea of someone being in my house when I am not here so may not go that route. Its just a long summer with lots of guilt because I can't do much with my own kids.
daycaremum 12:51 PM 05-30-2014
Now that my kids are older I close for 4 weeks out of the 9 week summer. It is unpaid, but well worth it to be able to do things with my own children. They are 9 and 11 this year.
This fall I will be starting out with mostly new kids (the one remaining old family is a teacher family), so I am considering closing the entire summer starting next year. It will be unpaid with a non-refundable holding fee for those wishing to return in the fall.
I am able to take the summer off unpaid, my husband is the main source of income for our family.
Crazy8 12:58 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycaremum:
Now that my kids are older I close for 4 weeks out of the 9 week summer. It is unpaid, but well worth it to be able to do things with my own children. They are 9 and 11 this year.
This fall I will be starting out with mostly new kids (the one remaining old family is a teacher family), so I am considering closing the entire summer starting next year. It will be unpaid with a non-refundable holding fee for those wishing to return in the fall.
I am able to take the summer off unpaid, my husband is the main source of income for our family.
That is awesome!!! I could probably handle it financially, but finding kids here isn't easy (many many SAHM's) and I know I would lose any non-teacher families if I took summers off. I have thought of moving to "teacher only" kids - better hours and summers off but I have never pushed to do that.
cheerfuldom 02:30 PM 05-30-2014
Hire help. There is no way around it. Someone to do daycare so you can get out OR someone to keep your kids busy. Take whatever vacation days you can. Ask every parent you know about possible activity and camp options in your area.
Reply Up