Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Throwing Food At Meal Time. Help!
Is it bedtime yet? 09:42 PM 07-10-2014
I have an almost 2 year old DCG that is forever throwing her drink and food on the floor at meal time. With her drink is usually take one drink, throw it on the floor. She isn't usually mad or upset when she does it. I usually calmly give it back the first time and then tell her if she throws it again it will go bye bye. She does and I calmly say, "Oh, I see your drink is on the floor so I am going to put your drink away now. Bye, bye drink." and then I put in in the fridge until lunch is almost over and then I give it back until she throws it again. Now she is getting really bad with her food and I know she is hungry, but she tosses it almost as soon as I give it to her. What do I do? I'm not going to keep picking it up and giving it back, but she is still young and I don't want her to starve especially if she doesn't understand.
jenboo 09:48 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Is it bedtime yet?:
I have an almost 2 year old DCG that is forever throwing her drink and food on the floor at meal time. With her drink is usually take one drink, throw it on the floor. She isn't usually mad or upset when she does it. I usually calmly give it back the first time and then tell her if she throws it again it will go bye bye. She does and I calmly say, "Oh, I see your drink is on the floor so I am going to put your drink away now. Bye, bye drink." and then I put in in the fridge until lunch is almost over and then I give it back until she throws it again. Now she is getting really bad with her food and I know she is hungry, but she tosses it almost as soon as I give it to her. What do I do? I'm not going to keep picking it up and giving it back, but she is still young and I don't want her to starve especially if she doesn't understand.
She won't starve. She understands.
She throws it once, it's gone. Take it away, clean it up etc. Don't make it a big deal. Don't give it back to her.
Serve her the next meal like normal. She will eventually learn. If she was hungry, she would eat. You are playing into her game when you keep giving it back.
Cradle2crayons 12:47 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
She throws it once, it's gone. Take it away, clean it up etc. Don't make it a big deal. Don't give it back to her.
Serve her the next meal like normal. She will eventually learn. If she was hungry, she would eat. You are playing into her game when you keep giving it back.

Agree. She throws it once. I give a warning. "If you throw your cup again I will take it away" or " if you throw your food, your plate will be out away and lunch is over"

If either happen again, put the food or drink up and the mealtime is over.

She isn't going to starve and yes, she understands.

It may take her a few times but she'll get he idea.
Second Home 03:44 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

Agree. She throws it once. I give a warning. "If you throw your cup again I will take it away" or " if you throw your food, your plate will be out away and lunch is over"

If either happen again, put the food or drink up and the mealtime is over.

She isn't going to starve and yes, she understands.

It may take her a few times but she'll get he idea.
This is what I do too .
hope 04:27 AM 07-11-2014
Food throwing seems to be a stage. Seems like every kids I have had has tried it at the same age. As PP's said, take away the food as soon as they do this. I have also given really small amounts of food at a time. Two bites of chicken and let them eat then one piece of broccoli and let them eat and so on. This way there isn't much to clean up if thrown and the child realizes that food is important and it makes them work for it....meaning be good and you get more.
My3cents 12:06 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I agree. I have the same kid.

They have a dog at home that eats the thrown food so its not a problem at home. Here it is. I keep it simple and say No throw food! Stern tone and then I take it away. It did help but then we started doing it again-
melilley 12:15 PM 07-11-2014
I have a child who does the same thing. At home she has a dog and I have the impression that they let her throw her food, they let her do a lot of things. And from what her parents tell me, the food she gets at home (spaghetti o's and such) isn't that healthy so when she eats here, she doesn't really want it. I just don't give her anymore food and when it's all gone, it's all gone. And I don't feel bad.
Is it bedtime yet? 12:31 PM 07-11-2014
That's the thing, I don't give it back more than once but it is getting worse not better. It has been going on for weeks now. Then, she is so hungry about an hour or two later that she is falling apart and begging to eat. I never give in and make her wait until the next meal/snack time. All to no avail. When she throws her food I still make her wait until at least one other kid is done before she can get out and play. Sometimes she smiles and 'talks' to the other kids, sometimes she sits and cries for more food :/
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 07-11-2014
That's the thing, I don't give it back more than once but it is getting worse not better. It has been going on for weeks now. Then, she is so hungry about an hour or two later that she is falling apart and begging to eat. I never give in and make her wait until the next meal/snack time. All to no avail. When she throws her food I still make her wait until at least one other kid is done before she can get out and play. Sometimes she smiles and 'talks' to the other kids, sometimes she sits and cries for more food :/
Stop giving it back at all for a little bit.

I bet she catches on really fast.
Is it bedtime yet? 01:34 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Stop giving it back at all for a little bit.

I bet she catches on really fast.
Would you say anything, or just pick it up and ignor the crying?
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 07-11-2014
Would you say anything, or just pick it up and ignor the crying?
The second she drops it, I would say "All done" in a sing song voice.

Take her down from the table and tell her to go play (or whatever your activity after meals are) and not give in to or address the crying.

If she continues to cry and is disruptive to the others, I would put her down for nap.

I bet she figures out the dropping game is no longer fun when the consequence is swift and without warning.
Unregistered 06:17 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The second she drops it, I would say "All done" in a sing song voice.

Take her down from the table and tell her to go play (or whatever your activity after meals are) and not give in to or address the crying.

If she continues to cry and is disruptive to the others, I would put her down for nap.

I bet she figures out the dropping game is no longer fun when the consequence is swift and without warning.
This is exactly what I would do.
Tags:dropping food, eating issues, throwing food
Reply Up