Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Complaint
Unregistered 02:36 PM 07-28-2014
Someone came by the other day to do an in home assessment of how my daycare runs. In the process of which I had to run into my bedroom and give my own child a little spanking. He was messing with something he was not allowed to have, and didn't even cry at the spanking. The someone had followed me to my bedroom and saw me spank my child and decided to leave so they could report me to the DHS. So I don't know what to do, I did not do anything wrong. But since we are not allowed to punish our own kids during daycare hours in our own way its reflecting badly on me. Im just sad.
Josiegirl 03:00 PM 07-28-2014
Honestly, I think you picked a bad time to spank your child, knowing you were being assessed.
Play Care 03:07 PM 07-28-2014
I guess I'm wondering why you chose to spank your child with the assessor there, knowing that you are not allowed to spank during day care?

Were there day care children present? I know me leaving them alone (to run to my bedroom) would be another violation.
KidGrind 03:08 PM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Honestly, I think you picked a bad time to spank your child, knowing you were being assessed.

I was thinking this but didn’t know how to phrase it nicely. I also caught myself and thought:

Why should she not parent her child in an appropriate manner (her personal parenting style within reason and the law) at any given time?

I do agree. It was an awful choice to spank your child during an assessment (and daycare hours). If you are suppose to treat your child in the same manner as the DCKs, then spanking is off-limits.

Also leaving your DCKs unintended for the purpose of spanking seems equally a demonstration of poor judgement.

If I were assessing, I would think, “Why is she taking that child to a different area? What is it that she intends to do out of my sight?"
Unregistered 03:11 PM 07-28-2014
Actually you did do something wrong.You spanked your child during daycare hours which you said was not allowed.Get all your paperwork in order because you will be getting a visit from the state soon. You picked a very bad time to spank your own child,it show that you lack self control yourself. This isn't going to turn out in your favor.
dave4him 05:11 PM 07-28-2014
Sounds to me like you just need to be honest with them when they asked. Explain you will refrain from spanking during daycare hours. They do not want other children to see it happening and assume that you will do it to them. Be encouraged, we all make mistakes. Best wishes.
mountainside13 05:58 PM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Someone came by the other day to do an in home assessment of how my daycare runs. In the process of which I had to run into my bedroom and give my own child a little spanking. He was messing with something he was not allowed to have, and didn't even cry at the spanking. The someone had followed me to my bedroom and saw me spank my child and decided to leave so they could report me to the DHS. So I don't know what to do, I did not do anything wrong. But since we are not allowed to punish our own kids during daycare hours in our own way its reflecting badly on me. Im just sad.
Unfortunately, it does sound like it was poor judgement. They were at your house for an assesment and you decided to leave daycare children unattended to take your child into another room to spank him. 1) In your post, your regs say you can not punish your own child during daycare hours but you decided to anyways. 2) Leaving the children unattended to spank him.

It stinks providers aren't allowed to discipline their children how they see fit (to a degree) but also that needs to be taken into consideration when starting a daycare.
NightOwl 07:03 PM 07-28-2014
I agree with where you're coming from. I don't like this regulation either. I think I should be able to be a mom before I am a provider.

BUT, I would never push the envelope like that. You were kinda asking for it. Sorry....
Unregistered 07:18 PM 07-28-2014
Thinking I would have demonstrated an alternate form of behavior guidance during the assessment. It was a poor judgement call. I guess I would make sure to have all my ducks in a row when they return. Have all else in order with every t crossed and i dotted.

I would also make sure to be able to communicate very well how you handle behavior guidance with the daycare children.
Unregistered 11:57 AM 07-29-2014
Why spank your child at all. It is a little concerning that you are ok to spank your child in front of an inspector and makes me wonder what happens behind closed doors.

There are other, much more effective and less damaging ways to discipline a child.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why spank your child at all. It is a little concerning that you are ok to spank your child in front of an inspector and makes me wonder what happens behind closed doors.

There are other, much more effective and less damaging ways to discipline a child.
Because it is her right to discipline her child in whatever manner she chooses.

The ONLY thing she did wrong was choosing to do so during daycare hours.

The effectiveness or damage allegedly caused by spanking is an opinion.

Insinuating the OP is doing more behind closed doors is EXTREMELY judgmental and unnecessary.
Tdhmom 12:56 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Insinuating the OP is doing more behind closed doors is EXTREMELY judgmental and unnecessary.

Butter Biskets 01:47 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I agree with this. ↑↑
Reply Up