Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Indoorvoice's Avatar
Indoorvoice Indoorvoice is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,109
Default say something, or let it go?

I have an agreement with one family that I will close late for them 2 days a week for a work commute. The other days they don't work, I expect dcg to be picked up on time. Today is a normal late closing day but dcm dropped dcg off in pjs and I asked if she had the day off...she said yes, she was taking a mental health day. I didn't think to remind her to pick up at my normal closing time. Would you say something or let it go? It's not that big of a deal since i was planning on working late today anyway, but it would nice to not have to be open a while hour later for just this one family if she doesn't need the time for a commute. I'm just wondering if you think it's out of line to request that she comes early when she normally doesn't come early on this day.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
I have an agreement with one family that I will close late for them 2 days a week for a work commute. The other days they don't work, I expect dcg to be picked up on time. Today is a normal late closing day but dcm dropped dcg off in pjs and I asked if she had the day off...she said yes, she was taking a mental health day. I didn't think to remind her to pick up at my normal closing time. Would you say something or let it go? It's not that big of a deal since i was planning on working late today anyway, but it would nice to not have to be open a while hour later for just this one family if she doesn't need the time for a commute. I'm just wondering if you think it's out of line to request that she comes early when she normally doesn't come early on this day.
I was in an eerily similar situation not long ago. Long story short, they picked kids up late, even though the arrangement was to help accommodate work hours only. I was furious and basically forced them to quit. I would say something along the lines that you are offering this arrangement for work purposes only and you want the kids picked up by regular closing time when they aren't at work. The exception would be if they are actually paying for the additional time, then I would keep my mouth shut.

Monkey Toes
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:31 PM
deliberateliterate's Avatar
deliberateliterate deliberateliterate is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 179
Default

If it were me, it would depend on if I was charging them extra on the days they picked up late. If yes, then I'd accept a late pickup. If no, then I'd absolutely make sure they were picking up on time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Indoorvoice's Avatar
Indoorvoice Indoorvoice is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,109
Default

No I'm not charging extra. Just doing it out of the goodness of my heart lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:44 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
No I'm not charging extra. Just doing it out of the goodness of my heart lol.
Yes, I'd just send a friendly text, along the lines of, "just making sure that pick up today is by X:00 (your regular closing time). Thanks!" Then if she texts back that she was planning for the later time, I'd say, "sorry, that is for work only- my regular closing time is X:00. See you then!" I'd hope she was planning on the regular time to begin with, since the agreement was for work only!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
Yes, I'd just send a friendly text, along the lines of, "just making sure that pick up today is by X:00 (your regular closing time). Thanks!" Then if she texts back that she was planning for the later time, I'd say, "sorry, that is for work only- my regular closing time is X:00. See you then!" I'd hope she was planning on the regular time to begin with, since the agreement was for work only!
^^^ This exactly
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

First of all, why is the child in pajamas??? Secondly, especially if you are not being paid for working late, then YES! I would have demanded that she be there at the normal time. You are being nice and working late for free for her to drive home from work. If she's not at work, then she doesn't need that extra time to drive home.

I hate it when parents use us!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

Also, I would have made the mother stay there and dress her child before leaving her at daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I would be sending a text or email whatever your best communication method is stating that since DCM is not needing overtime for her commute, DCG needs to be picked up at your closing time today.

I would just send a text..

Hi DCM I will have DCG all set and ready to go for you at my XXX, see you then. I would not say another word.

BUT just be ready for dcm to lie to you in the future about her schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Indoorvoice's Avatar
Indoorvoice Indoorvoice is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
First of all, why is the child in pajamas??? Secondly, especially if you are not being paid for working late, then YES! I would have demanded that she be there at the normal time. You are being nice and working late for free for her to drive home from work. If she's not at work, then she doesn't need that extra time to drive home.

I hate it when parents use us!
Lol the MOM was in her pajamas which is why I was like, hmmm so you have the day off? So i decided to be nice and see if she showed up late before i said anything to her and remind her of my rule as she walked in the door. However, she didn't give me the chance! She showed up a half hour EARLY for pick up. What a good dcm! I was surprised because she usually walks all over me. I need to give people a chance more often i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-16-2014, 01:44 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

Oh, I thought the child was in her pj's.

I would have been expecting the worst as well. I have just had too many parents that do use me and abuse the rules. I'm glad everything went well for you today.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
Lol the MOM was in her pajamas which is why I was like, hmmm so you have the day off? So i decided to be nice and see if she showed up late before i said anything to her and remind her of my rule as she walked in the door. However, she didn't give me the chance! She showed up a half hour EARLY for pick up. What a good dcm! I was surprised because she usually walks all over me. I need to give people a chance more often i guess.
yay! So glad it all worked out, I get stressed when I imagine saying something possibly negative to my DCPs as well! I've been holding onto the fact I will be closing soon to negate some things I'd probably have put an end to a while ago- no need to stress about small things when I know the end is near 31 weeks along in the pregnancy and planning to give my months notice in a couple weeks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
Lol the MOM was in her pajamas which is why I was like, hmmm so you have the day off? So i decided to be nice and see if she showed up late before i said anything to her and remind her of my rule as she walked in the door. However, she didn't give me the chance! She showed up a half hour EARLY for pick up. What a good dcm! I was surprised because she usually walks all over me. I need to give people a chance more often i guess.
I guess we all get this way because it is the norm of what happens.....as they say, it only takes one to ruin it for everyone else.

I am horrible, I never really give my dcp the benefit of the doubt, because I know their mentality is that their pay covers to xxx time, their child will stay until exactly xxx time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:33 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming