Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Library Story Time
BumbleBee 06:33 PM 04-19-2015
Last Fall I began taking my group to story time at the library. I had reservations about it from the get go but continued to take my daycare kids as I convinced myself that it was good for them. We didn't go during the winter due to the snow and unshoveled sidewalks but recently began going again. The reservations/concerns about it are still there and I'm trying to decide what to do.

The concerns mainly revolve around disorganization. The lady who does the program doesn't read the books ahead of time, and has said so often. Usually this happens when she's reading a book that is quite long and the kids are getting restless. She provides a snack, which is nice, but it takes upwards of 15-20 minutes to hand out snacks to 10 kids because she has to first find out where she put them, then go find cups/plates, then figure out where the juice is, then ask what kind of juice/crackers each kid wants, and on and on it goes.

I have offered to prepare snacks ahead of time, and have even arrived early in order to prepare the snacks ahead of time. It hasn't helped, because she doesn't know where the snacks are and then gets busy with other things. she's flighty I guess is what I'm trying to say. I've considered bringing a box of snacks and paper cups myself so that it's ready to go but that's $$$ out of my pocket.

My other concern is she gets annoyed with the kids when they get wiggly. Now I can understand this if they're wiggly when she's reading the first book but by the time she gets to the 4th or 5th book they're basically done. These kids are 3. 4 or 5 books in one sitting, some of them up to 25 pages, is too much. 2 books then a movement break then 2 books I can understand.

What have I done? I've talked to her, privately, about my concerns. She told me she was a kindergarten teacher for 15 years and has a masters degree in education and she knows what she's doing.

So, what to do. The daycare parents like that their kids go to story time. I like that the kids get out and are exposed to having to listen to someone else and learn how to behave in different situations. I don't like everything I have written about above. When we get back the kids are clingy and whiny. Granted it's close to lunch time when we get back but it's more than the normal 'I'm hungry' crabbiness, and the clinginess from all of them, as a group, is not normal for them.

Thoughts? Suggestions? WWYD?
Thriftylady 06:54 PM 04-19-2015
I would probably call and speak to the library director about your concerns. She may see your point, she may not. If not you may have to stop going. If you have to stop going, maybe you could bring in a mystery reader at times into the daycare.
Silly Songs 07:20 PM 04-19-2015
Does she have a supervisor ? Maybe you can approach that person with some of your concerns and the solutions you offered the story reader . That was nice of you to offer to help with snacks , and I agree that too many stories in a row will make the kids fidgety.
daycare 07:40 PM 04-19-2015
Ours was a mess too. It bothered me at first but I just decided to suck it up that I'm a control freak and that as long as the kids were having fun I let it go.

I would however talk to a manager about the story choice. I don't care if she's a kinder teacher. 3yr and 5 yr are totally differnt developmental levels.

That would really bother me and I would not be ok with her talking down to the kids. I would probably not be able to bite my lip and say something to her and walk out.

Going above her head may be the only way to resolve it. Hope it works out.
NoMoreJuice! 07:42 PM 04-19-2015
I would definitely stop going. It seems to be a source of stress for you and the kids, and the only people you're trying to please are the parents (a struggle we all share!). The kiddos would be just as happy reading books at your house, or taking a book to the garden to read. Maybe if your library has a little children's area, you could go at a different time/day and do your own reading.
Pepperth 03:34 AM 04-20-2015
I'd talk to the director of the library. Hopefully they want a successful program and these concerns of yours seem valid. If that doesn't work, can you go on a different day? Maybe they have an area you can do your own story time. If that doesn't work, maybe you can all go to the library to pick up a book and bring it back to the daycare. You might even be able to get "special guests" to come in a read to the kids within the daycare setting.
CraftyMom 05:36 AM 04-20-2015
I would stop going. It's supposed to be enjoyable and it isn't. Causing more stress to your day than it's worth.

At our story time the librarian has a helper. It is very organized. There is no snack but they do a craft and that is organized as well.

IMO 5 books is way too much for that age.

Ours does the weather then a song, then a book, then another song, then another book, then the craft.

My kids all love it. But if it were un organized I would not go.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 04-20-2015
Other than talk with the Director as some suggested the only thing you can do is stop going I suppose.

Have you considered making the trip on your own and reading to the kids yourself as your own story hour? You could use the time to have the kids check out library books and return them the next week on the next trip. Since its Spring/Summer you could probably find a nice grassy spot on the library lawn and have snack on your own.

Otherwise the kids miss out on having the library experience and I think that is a great thing to expose the kids to.

Also, just because she "was" a Kindy teacher for 15 years and has a Master's in Education, it says ALOT that she isn't concerned about the behavior the kids are using to TELL her that her way just isn't working.

That is THE first thing being a Kindy teacher and her college coursework should have taught her. The kids ARE your feedback in regards to how successful or unsuccessful her Story Hour is.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:08 AM 04-20-2015
It sounds like there are way more "cons" than "pros." I'd quit going. The kids can learn to be in different situations in so many ways, there's no reason to waste time at something developmentally inappropriate or disorganized. Don't worry about whether the parents like it. You know that you would do better for them yourself, so be confident in your own program and read them better books, more carefully chosen for your group, and let parents know what you're doing.

Parents today have been convinced that "more is better" is the way to go--lots of classes! programs! events! But it's not necessary, or better. A great storytime can be a benefit. But why waste their precious time--that could be better spent in deep, rich play--making them sit and wait and be held to unrealistic expectations?
Unregistered 07:17 AM 04-20-2015
I'm reading this and thinking. Do we attend the same library story time because that is my opinion about our lady too. Then I saw you are from Michigan and now I'm convinced it's the same lady!!! Lol
Unregistered 12:14 AM 04-23-2015
I've taught preschool, I've taught kindergarten....I don't care what this lady says, she doesn't know what's she's doing!
Tags:library, story time, stressed - child
Reply Up