Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time
kristinhomedaycare 09:48 PM 09-10-2015
Trying to get everyone to sleep for the amount of time their parents want is maddening! How do I keep the babies quiet when they wake up? I have a daycare girl who wakes up at the drop of a hat and she is insanely grumpy if she doesn't sleep for 2 hours. She won't fall asleep or stay asleep if there is any noise. So far I put all the others to sleep, then her and pray the others sleep long enough for her to sleep. She's in a separate room all by herself her in a pack n play so that it is quieter. Was at a previous daycare and apparently she slept in another room and every day for 2.5 hours. I find myself having tons of anxiety once the babies start waking up and worrying excessively that they will wake up the new dcg as parents were already concerned about her sleeping and I don't want them to leave the center. I have a nap room, a living room, and another room / daughters bed room that is usually another play room but I move her pack n play in there at nap time. I know I should just not worry about what I can't control but I really want to control as much as I can to keep everyone happy. I'm getting another noise machine for that room but usually you can hear the nap music in there too.
lizzlee 03:22 AM 09-11-2015
I'm a light sleeper and I always use a fan for white noise, seems to work great for kids too. She'll most likely eventually get used to the noise. My first child woke woke up at the least little sound but my third could sleep through an earthquake lol.
rosieteddy 04:39 AM 09-11-2015
I started using aa radio in all napping rooms at nap time.I did not think it would work.It did work,doorbell could ring ,others fuss and phone could ring they stayed mostly asleep.They were so conditioned that they did not talk or get up until the music was shut off.
nannyde 04:49 AM 09-11-2015
How old is the dcg?
Scribbles 05:56 AM 09-11-2015
How many babies do you care for at one time?
Unregistered 07:51 AM 09-11-2015
She just turned 2 2 months ago. I have 3 other babies. So 4 total. 3 babies and one 2 year old.
Annalee 09:49 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by kristinhomedaycare:
Trying to get everyone to sleep for the amount of time their parents want is maddening! How do I keep the babies quiet when they wake up? I have a daycare girl who wakes up at the drop of a hat and she is insanely grumpy if she doesn't sleep for 2 hours. She won't fall asleep or stay asleep if there is any noise. So far I put all the others to sleep, then her and pray the others sleep long enough for her to sleep. She's in a separate room all by herself her in a pack n play so that it is quieter. Was at a previous daycare and apparently she slept in another room and every day for 2.5 hours. I find myself having tons of anxiety once the babies start waking up and worrying excessively that they will wake up the new dcg as parents were already concerned about her sleeping and I don't want them to leave the center. I have a nap room, a living room, and another room / daughters bed room that is usually another play room but I move her pack n play in there at nap time. I know I should just not worry about what I can't control but I really want to control as much as I can to keep everyone happy. I'm getting another noise machine for that room but usually you can hear the nap music in there too.
Do the parents dictate how long the children sleep? I have a large room with 12 kids ages 4 months to 5 years. I run a fan on both sides of the room at nap. If I have a cryer, I will place a radio or sound machine beside the pnp. Be consistent....Even the youngest will learn what to expect and how to behave at nap. I place the same lullaby CD in each day as well....I am a firm believer in consistency. Each child will also feed off of your mood...if you are anxious/worried they will pick up on it....Do the same routine every day at nap and they will get it. Good luck!
Unregistered 10:02 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Do the parents dictate how long the children sleep? I have a large room with 12 kids ages 4 months to 5 years. I run a fan on both sides of the room at nap. If I have a cryer, I will place a radio or sound machine beside the pnp. Be consistent....Even the youngest will learn what to expect and how to behave at nap. I place the same lullaby CD in each day as well....I am a firm believer in consistency. Each child will also feed off of your mood...if you are anxious/worried they will pick up on it....Do the same routine every day at nap and they will get it. Good luck!
Thanks for the reassurance. All my babies do fine. It is just the 2 year old who is new here and not used to any noise at all so I guess it will just be an adjustment for her and her parents will have to suck it up if she doesn't nap for 2.5 hours.
Annalee 10:04 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for the reassurance. All my babies do fine. It is just the 2 year old who is new here and not used to any noise at all so I guess it will just be an adjustment for her and her parents will have to suck it up if she doesn't nap for 2.5 hours.
It is YOUR daycare. Let them know that in a non-negotiable way!
Unregistered 11:58 AM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by lizzlee:
I'm a light sleeper and I always use a fan for white noise, seems to work great for kids too. She'll most likely eventually get used to the noise. My first child woke woke up at the least little sound but my third could sleep through an earthquake lol.
OMG disaster. I had her asleep, brought the fan in and turned it on, the noise of the fan woke her up and it took her 30 more min to fall back asleep! grr. I'm buying a noise machine this weekend even if I can't afford it. I know it's not much but I'm broke.
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:22 PM 09-11-2015
OMG disaster. I had her asleep, brought the fan in and turned it on, the noise of the fan woke her up and it took her 30 more min to fall back asleep! grr. I'm buying a noise machine this weekend even if I can't afford it. I know it's not much but I'm broke.
Why not try just a clock radio or small radio you already have? Put it on low, low volume on a classical or easy listening station.
kristinhomedaycare 08:26 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Why not try just a clock radio or small radio you already have? Put it on low, low volume on a classical or easy listening station.
I actually don't have either one of these. I use my computer and link it to the computer for everything so I don't have a radio or anything. I'll just get a noise machine. Thanks for the suggestion though.
jenboo 08:40 PM 09-11-2015
You need to have the noise on before she falls asleep.
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:01 PM 09-11-2015
For me, turning a fan on for white noise before I lay them down has worked wonders for light sleepers. That and darkening the room as much as possible.
Reply Up