Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracted Schedules and Picking Up Early
Indoorvoice 05:07 AM 11-25-2015
Ok so I do contracted schedules and for the most part it works pretty good. I have one family where the dad works from home so he often picks up much earlier than the time they contracted and sometimes picks up right at the contracted time, but it's never consistent. A different time every day. I asked them if they wanted to change their contracted times because they get a lower rate for picking up earlier, but they like paying more for a later time so they can have that cushion just in case. Now trust me, I'm not complaining that they pick up early or that they want to pay more for "just in case". But part of the reason I switched to contracted times was so I could know when each family is coming. I have to put my dog outside (which is a huge ordeal) when families come and sometimes we are in the middle of an activity or dcg isn't ready to go when dcd gets here. I get the feeling that they don't know what dcd's schedule will be day to day and so that's why they don't want to give me specific pick up times. Would you push to get specific pick up times each day, or just be thankful the family picks up early most days and wants to spend as much time with their kid as possible AND pay me for it. Today dcg is my only one here and I would love to know if I'm getting done early or working until 5 so we can leave for my parent's house, but I don't feel right asking to come early since they pay for that time. Your insight would be helpful!
midaycare 05:23 AM 11-25-2015
If my families come early, they text me. But I set that up the importance of this at contract signing. I just explained that iit helps both their child and myself. Some children do not do well when mom or dad shows up at a different tine, and this allows me to prepare their child. It also helps me if we are doing something messy like painting. It gives me time to clean up their child and the project so I don't have 6 kids knee deep in paint when the parent arrives. Just as an example. It coukd be clay, water play, sand, etc. We also go for hikes, so... parents know to text or we may be out on the property and theu could be waiting 20 minutes for us to show up, even if they texted me when they firsy got here.

I think you can use some of the above reasons to fit your needs and come up with a new policy.
childcaremom 06:06 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
If my families come early, they text me. But I set that up the importance of this at contract signing. I just explained that iit helps both their child and myself. Some children do not do well when mom or dad shows up at a different tine, and this allows me to prepare their child. It also helps me if we are doing something messy like painting. It gives me time to clean up their child and the project so I don't have 6 kids knee deep in paint when the parent arrives. Just as an example. It coukd be clay, water play, sand, etc. We also go for hikes, so... parents know to text or we may be out on the property and theu could be waiting 20 minutes for us to show up, even if they texted me when they firsy got here.

I think you can use some of the above reasons to fit your needs and come up with a new policy.
This is what I do, as well. If a parent wants to come early, I ask that they text to let me know an approx time so I can make sure that their child is ready.

I would explain to dcd that you need to organize the dogs, etc so could he please text to let you know when he is on his way.

I am guessing that he probably can't foresee when he is going to be finished early, so if he is contracted to x time, I would expect to be working until x time. If you want to be done early, I would ask that he pick up at y time because you are closing early.
Ariana 08:22 AM 11-25-2015
I would just let them know that on times when they arrive early they have the option to text first or wait at the door until I get my dog outside. "Sorry for the inconvenience but the dog goes crazy when people are at my door so this makes things easier on everyone."

I let my parents know that we might take a while getting down the stairs so if they are waiting at the door for a bit this is why and to just be patient. As long as they know upfront it shouldn't be an issue usually!
nannyde 08:28 AM 11-25-2015
Tell him you need a 15 minute heads up text
284878 11:45 AM 11-26-2015
I had jerk of a dcd that would not text when he was on his way. One week He was way later than normal (he could come in a 2 hour window on his day to pick up) I paced and paced, I wanted to have the kids cleaned up ready to leave and have the baby diaper changed. Finally, I texted him and found out he was not coming that day even though DCM told me he would be here and early. The kids had heard DCM say that so they kept asking where is dad. Anyways my dh was home during all this and saw me pacing. He researched driveway alarms and got me one (we have a 400 ft driveway). By the time the parent gets to the door, I have already rounded up the kids and got them to the door. I also have a cheap one at my door that dings in instead of listening for them to knock.
The only down side is when my DH or someone else comes up the driveway the 18 month old thinks it is time to go home.

We got the driveway one from Menards.com and the other other one from Harbor freight.com
Ariana 08:32 AM 11-27-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I had jerk of a dcd that would not text when he was on his way. One week He was way later than normal (he could come in a 2 hour window on his day to pick up) I paced and paced, I wanted to have the kids cleaned up ready to leave and have the baby diaper changed. Finally, I texted him and found out he was not coming that day even though DCM told me he would be here and early. The kids had heard DCM say that so they kept asking where is dad. Anyways my dh was home during all this and saw me pacing. He researched driveway alarms and got me one (we have a 400 ft driveway). By the time the parent gets to the door, I have already rounded up the kids and got them to the door. I also have a cheap one at my door that dings in instead of listening for them to knock.
The only down side is when my DH or someone else comes up the driveway the 18 month old thinks it is time to go home.

We got the driveway one from Menards.com and the other other one from Harbor freight.com
None of my parents will park in my driveway. It is so bizarre because one has an infant that she puts in a carrier and a toddler that she brings in. Wouldn't this whole process be easier and SAFER in the driveway?! my other parents turns their car around in my neighbors driveway and then park in front of my lawn! Meanwhile I have a 4 car driveway with only 1 car in it.

Luckily I know when they come and I can see them from the playroom!
Tags:contracted hours, early pick up, schedule - contracted
Reply Up