Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Love My Job, Miss You Ladies!
Heidi 04:50 PM 12-21-2015
Hello!

I've been poking in now and then, giving my two-cents worth. I thought I'd say "hi" today.

I really do love my job (as a home visitor for Headstart). I work with nice people, don't spend a whole lot of time in my office (thereby limiting dealing with a lot of office politics), and there's a nice variety of tasks. I do write a LOT of lesson plans, which is not my favorite part.

I have to say, I really ENJOY children again. That's a nice feeling!

I gotten to visit or see most of my former daycare kids a time or two in the last 2 months, and that's nice. I even laughed at one little guy when he was being naughty, instead of feeling judgy, I laughed! Not my problem now, after all...lol

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Heidi, aka Birgit
Thriftylady 05:10 PM 12-21-2015
Happy that you are happy!
Laurel 06:17 PM 12-21-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Hello!

I've been poking in now and then, giving my two-cents worth. I thought I'd say "hi" today.

I really do love my job (as a home visitor for Headstart). I work with nice people, don't spend a whole lot of time in my office (thereby limiting dealing with a lot of office politics), and there's a nice variety of tasks. I do write a LOT of lesson plans, which is not my favorite part.

I have to say, I really ENJOY children again. That's a nice feeling!

I gotten to visit or see most of my former daycare kids a time or two in the last 2 months, and that's nice. I even laughed at one little guy when he was being naughty, instead of feeling judgy, I laughed! Not my problem now, after all...lol

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Heidi, aka Birgit
What exactly is a home visitor for Headstart? I really don't know a thing about Headstart. I thought it was a preschool type program for low income children.

Glad you love your job though!
Laurel 06:18 PM 12-21-2015
P.S. Oh you don't have to miss us. I have been retired for a year and a half and can't seem to leave, lol.
Heidi 03:29 PM 12-22-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
What exactly is a home visitor for Headstart? I really don't know a thing about Headstart. I thought it was a preschool type program for low income children.

Glad you love your job though!
Basically, we support low-income families in being their child's teacher. I go visit each family weekly (I have 10 children, 8 families). I do activities with the kids and parents together (parents help plan, in theory but not always in practice), give parenting training, and find support services for families in need. We might direct them to energy assistance, birth-3 services, or help with getting adult education figured out. We also run playgroups out of our building, and offer socializations for 3-5 year olds (typically those that aren't in preschool or daycare, so they get some exposure to group situations before school). Our organization also runs Head Start Classrooms, which are esentially free preschool for low income children ages 3 to 5.
Silly Songs 07:43 PM 12-22-2015
I love it ! Sounds like a great position. What is your background before childcare ? I was curious about the education and training needed for it. I would like to do something similar a few years from now.
Heidi 07:09 AM 12-23-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
I love it ! Sounds like a great position. What is your background before childcare ? I was curious about the education and training needed for it. I would like to do something similar a few years from now.
I was a banker! lol...and a realtor in between there somewhere.

Skills are similar to childcare, and actually, so are the job duties, supporting families, directing to services, developmental assessments (easy to learn if you haven't done them). Just not much "direct care", obviously.

I have a 2 year degree in ECE, although our particular agency prefers a Bachelors. I'm sort of an exception to their normal hiring practices. It really depends on the particular organization in your area. http://www.indeed.com/q-Early-Head-S...ased-jobs.html
e.j. 11:43 AM 12-23-2015
Glad it turned out to be a good move for you!
Reply Up