Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Must Be Insane
Missjaime 10:22 PM 03-06-2017
This might be the stupidest thing i've ever done, but here it is. My sewer backed up tonight and we are not allowed to use the water until it is fixed. Instead of closing for the day (I have had to close multiple times recently for my sick 6 year old, we have been to the emergency room too many times) I decided I would take the kids on a "field trip day". I am taking them out to my mother in law's house, as a home base, then to 4 different parks, lunch at the park, no naps, back to my house in time for pick ups. All because I don't want to close again tomorrow. It's going to be a nightmare. But, I felt so bad, I felt like I had to offer something. Who knew they would all take me up on it! Lol - here's to a crazy day tomorrow!
Gemma 04:09 AM 03-07-2017
All that excitement and no nap? I would never even try to pull that off with my kids

You forgot to mention...did you guys have fun?
Missjaime 07:21 AM 03-07-2017
This is all happening today. No naps cause I don't really know where I could nap them. Maybe at Grandma's house? I don't know. I am not excited.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
This is all happening today. No naps cause I don't really know where I could nap them. Maybe at Grandma's house? I don't know. I am not excited.
Get creative and make some makeshift "tents" at the park or at Grandma's house and go camping!

Even if the kids don't sleep, they'll still be getting some down time.
Ariana 09:58 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Get creative and make some makeshift "tents" at the park or at Grandma's house and go camping!

Even if the kids don't sleep, they'll still be getting some down time.
This would be so much fun! Even lie them down for a movie in the living room with blankets might help some of them doze off!

Good luck
daycarediva 10:00 AM 03-07-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This would be so much fun! Even lie them down for a movie in the living room with blankets might help some of them doze off!

Good luck
was just going to say that.

YOU'RE BRAVE. NO way.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:05 AM 03-07-2017
The main line out in the street had a blockage one very cold January Sunday morning about 9 years ago, and our 1300 sq ft open basement was where it all came up (my dc is on the main level at least). Yep, we had about a foot of raw sewage down there. It was indescribable.

But instead of closing, I watched my dc kids at my mom's house about 15 minutes from my own, and had the parents pick up and drop off there. My families were overjoyed that they didn't have to take off work, and were fine with the extra commute for 2 days. It wasn't ideal, and not set up for daycare but we managed. I told licensing I was closed for those days due to the flood, and figured the rest would just be a paperwork nightmare for them if I shared it with them anyway, and it was so temporary who gives a hoot.
Missjaime 07:55 AM 03-08-2017
We did it. Not the best day ever, but the kids thought it was a great adventure. My mother-in-law's house is very far away (at least 30 minutes), so they dropped off here and I left as soon as I had all of them. We got out there, had breakfast, then hit the first park. They had so much fun at a new park that we ended up staying there, ate lunch there, then walked back to MIL's house for nap. I guess all the excitement wore them out, cause most of them slept (I brought their pack and plays, just hoping we could figure it out) until we had to leave to get back here. The day wasn't a waste and I know the parents appreciated me finding a work around instead of closing. It was stressful for me, but worth it. Thanks for all the good vibes, everyone! We made it work!
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 03-08-2017
We did it. Not the best day ever, but the kids thought it was a great adventure. My mother-in-law's house is very far away (at least 30 minutes), so they dropped off here and I left as soon as I had all of them. We got out there, had breakfast, then hit the first park. They had so much fun at a new park that we ended up staying there, ate lunch there, then walked back to MIL's house for nap. I guess all the excitement wore them out, cause most of them slept (I brought their pack and plays, just hoping we could figure it out) until we had to leave to get back here. The day wasn't a waste and I know the parents appreciated me finding a work around instead of closing. It was stressful for me, but worth it. Thanks for all the good vibes, everyone! We made it work!
That is awesome!

You definitely earn the "most adaptable provider" award hand's down!!!!

Baby Beluga 08:40 AM 03-08-2017
I'm glad it turned out well!
daycarediva 08:48 AM 03-08-2017

I couldn't even legally do that in my state, but I wouldn't want to.

Glad it went better than expected!
Reply Up