Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What and How Should I Charge, Inconsistent Schedule?
DeeDee 08:55 PM 07-26-2018
Recently had a new dcb join my group (DCM is a friend of my cousin and his girlfriend who are my clients as well). DCB has been in my care for a little over a week, he's full-time and I charge $150 a week for a spot. Today dcm told me her schedule would be changing, upon starting she did tell me her hours fluctuate but they were still within my business hours.

But today dcm asked if she had to pay full price even for days that her child is absent, since he'll be with grandma tomorrow. I told her yes it's 150 a week regardless of abscences, but she seemed worried so I inquired further.

DCM let me know that her schedule would be changing more than I was intially aware of. So some weeks she would need care 5 days a week, and other weeks it may only be 1 day a week. I would like to help her out but it's a bit inconvient, seeing that I wouldn't know what days she'd be here so finding another child to fill that would be near impossible. I'm not sure how or what to charge her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Josiegirl 03:45 AM 07-27-2018
My dcfs know, if they want their spot, they need to pay for a ft spot, no matter how many hours they come. I can have 6 ft dcks. They're still getting a deal compared to the local centers that are charging $200 for a ft spot. I used to be able to offer pt rates or a bit of flexibility but just cannot do it anymore. If a dcf doesn't work out due to needing pt vs. ft, I have to replace with ft as soon as I find one.

If this is what you and she agreed upon, I would not change it. Within any given month, it sounds as if she'll be using any and/or all the days and hours so there is no way you could fill a spot like that.
DaveA 03:54 AM 07-27-2018
DCPs pay for enrollment not attendance. She's only been there a week & DCM is dropping this on you? Call me cynical, but I don't think this was a surprise to her. She's just trying to get a contract change that benefits her. I would stick to a FT pay rate.
Cat Herder 04:49 AM 07-27-2018
Your bills don't change whether the child comes or not. You need the slot paid. Whether the slot is filled by her child or someone else is up to her.

We need a consistent income to be able to provide a consistent service.

Enrolled or Not Enrolled are my only options for that reason.
amberrose3dg 04:54 AM 07-27-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Your bills don't change whether the child comes or not. You need the slot paid. Whether the slot is filled by her child or someone else is up to her.

We need a consistent income to be able to provide a consistent service.

Enrolled or Not Enrolled are my only options for that reason.
Yikes. That is a huge difference. I wonder why that is so.
Anyways she would have to pay for the spot. I cannot see you be able to fill the spot since her schedule is so unstable.
DeeDee 04:55 AM 07-27-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My dcfs know, if they want their spot, they need to pay for a ft spot, no matter how many hours they come. I can have 6 ft dcks. They're still getting a deal compared to the local centers that are charging $200 for a ft spot. I used to be able to offer pt rates or a bit of flexibility but just cannot do it anymore. If a dcf doesn't work out due to needing pt vs. ft, I have to replace with ft as soon as I find one.

If this is what you and she agreed upon, I would not change it. Within any given month, it sounds as if she'll be using any and/or all the days and hours so there is no way you could fill a spot like that.
This was my feeling as well, some weeks it would be ft and others pt, but she still needs me to be available whenever her schedule changes. I'm always trying to help in anyway I can and be accomodating, sometimes at my own expense. Your right, thanks Josiegirl!
amberrose3dg 05:27 AM 07-27-2018
Originally Posted by DeeDee:
This was my feeling as well, some weeks it would be ft and others pt, but she still needs me to be available whenever her schedule changes. I'm always trying to help in anyway I can and be accomodating, sometimes at my own expense. Your right, thanks Josiegirl!
Yes and they want that spot but dont feel they should have to pay for it. Let them piece childcare together from friends and family. That is how I see it.
e.j. 05:58 AM 07-27-2018
If she needs guaranteed availability, she needs to pay for that. If she were here with me, I'd offer drop-in care with the understanding that an opening wouldn't be guaranteed. She could call me to see if I had availability. If I didn't have an opening, she'd have to figure something else out.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 07-27-2018
While I absolutely agree with everyone else about paying for convenience, I also think everyone's situation is different and not everyone can be firm and consistent with clients as advised to do. IF this (taking the child into care) is really something you want to do (to help out) or need to do (financially) then maybe another option would be to compromise.

Come up with minimum amount the parent must pay even when child is not attending. If weekly full time care is $150 per week, maybe have parent pay $75 per week to "save" or "hold" the space but then pay an additional amount for when he does attend.

Flat rate of $75 to hold the space plus $X per day he actually attends. That way the weeks he is not there or only attends 1 day you'd still have an income you can count on and on the weeks he is attending full time you'll have a bonus income.

Communicating her schedule and not expecting last minute changes will be the biggest hurdle however if you do go that route.

It's not something I would personally do as my clients all pay the same weekly rate 52 weeks a year but it's an option for you if you aren't able for whatever reason charge her the full weekly rate.
nannyde 06:16 AM 07-27-2018
She's changed it to drop in care so give her a drop in rate of 42 dollars a day. Tell her she must have his schedule by Friday at noon to secure care for the next week. It must be paid by the end of the working day Friday or no care the next week. If he misses any of the pre paid scheduled days they CAN'T be substituted for a different day. She can add days but can't switch.
Jiminycrickets 06:42 AM 07-27-2018
My rate system is set up similarly to what Black Cat described.
I prefer part-time at this point, so I am set up so they pay a minimum of 2 days a week, but may attend up to 5, of course paying more for more days.
Usually they end up coming 3 or 4 days, so they have some flexibility, I get a few extra days off a month with just my own kids, and still make enough for what I need.
If I ever need/want to change it, I can do that as contracts come up.
lovemykidstoo 07:08 AM 07-27-2018
One of my previous daycare moms was a nurse. Her hours varied as well. She said one week she would need 1 day because she may work on the weekend, other weeks she may need 4 days. I did not want that inconsistency with income, so I said that if she guaranteed me payment for 3 days a week no matter if he came 1 or 3 then I was good with it. If she needed the 4th, she would pay more of course. Worked out pretty good. She gave me a 1 month schedule at a time so it was easy to plan around. It was nice when he came just 1 day a week and I got paid $105!
Ariana 08:21 AM 07-27-2018
I did this for a family and they provided a set schedule for me and paid only the days they were here. It worked for me because I like part time. They also added days here and there so I ended up making more money than I originally thought.

It really is up to you and you should do what you feel comfortable with financially. There are options available to them (like a daycare that doesn’t mind the hit financially) so don’t feel like this is your problem to solve. She was not straight forward with you when she signed up so that is also a factor.
Snowmom 10:05 AM 07-27-2018
I'd switch her to drop in status as well.

The rate is slightly higher per day but she'll only pay for what she uses. Of course, if I'm full, she's SOL and will have to find alternate care.

If she wants guaranteed availability, she'd have to pay the FT rate every week. There's no benefit to me to save her spot for no pay.
Tags:charge, pay, payment, schedule, schedule - conflicts
Reply Up