Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming 4 snacks/meals, how does the food program know what to reimbures for? (MMK)
melilley 02:16 PM 03-01-2013
For MMK, I see that you can record six meals, but you can only claim 2 meals and one snack or 2 snacks and one meal. If I record 2 snacks and 2 meals for tax purposes, how does the Food Program know which to claim? I would like to claim the 2 meals and 1 snack, but if I also put the pm snack, how do they know? I hope this makes sense! Any info would be helpful!

*reimburse
snbauser 02:55 PM 03-01-2013
Our food program rep always told us the system was set up to automatically reimburse you for the 2 most expensive meals. So if you recorded breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks you would get reimbursed for breakfast, lunch and one snack.
nanglgrl 02:58 PM 03-01-2013
It's my understanding that it goes into a computer program that gives you the highest reimbursement possible. In most peoples case this would be breakfast, lunch and snack. If you serve dinner it would be lunch, dinner and snack. They make you check all of the children present at each meal so they can make sure you are in compliance as far as the number of children in care. If you're not they won't reimburse for that meal.
The food program reimburse you for only 2 meals and 1 snack or 2 snacks and one meal BUT you can still claim what they didn't reimburse as an expense on your taxes. If a child is there 7:30 am to 5:50 pm chances are you are serving 2 breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks, you will not be reimbursed for one snack but you can claim it on your taxes. So if you get $5000 from the food program each year you claim that as income but if you had any children for more than 3 meals/snacks a day you should actually be taking out more than $5000 as an expense.
TomCopeland 05:02 PM 03-01-2013
It's always a good idea to check with your food programs sponsor about what will happen when you claim more than 3 servings a day. I'm sure the sponsor will say that you will be credited with the meals/snacks that give you the highest reimbursement. Also, be sure your sponsor is okay with you claiming more than 3 meals/snacks on the forms.
melilley 06:49 AM 03-02-2013
Thank you everyone!
Reply Up