Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh, Scheduling Woes
SilverSabre25 06:48 AM 10-02-2013
I homeschool my daughter. I'm finding it very difficult to get all the schoolwork I want done, done with our current schedule. basically my original plan was to do a bunch of it during naptime. Well, reality is that my two year old gave up his naps this summer and the 6 month old dcg naps at other times and is usually awake from 1-3 right now. So, the naptime thing isn't working.

What we had been doing was eating breakfast/snack around 9, then she was supposed to be doing school work from 9:30 to 10:30, then we went outside from 10:30 to 11:45 or noon, then came in for lunch. Naps started by 1 and I was, in theory, going to do the more hands on stuff with her from 1-2 or so. Then after naps, there was snack and then by 4 we were back outside for another hour or hour and a half.

but that's just not working. Her attention gets too fragmented after that outside break and I NEED that time during nap to attend to other things and other people, and recharge my own batteries.

I'm looking at dropping or drastically reducing the morning outside time to try and finish all of the school work in the morning...but I am worrying about reducing the outside time.

Any ideas?
Cradle2crayons 06:52 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I homeschool my daughter. I'm finding it very difficult to get all the schoolwork I want done, done with our current schedule. basically my original plan was to do a bunch of it during naptime. Well, reality is that my two year old gave up his naps this summer and the 6 month old dcg naps at other times and is usually awake from 1-3 right now. So, the naptime thing isn't working.

What we had been doing was eating breakfast/snack around 9, then she was supposed to be doing school work from 9:30 to 10:30, then we went outside from 10:30 to 11:45 or noon, then came in for lunch. Naps started by 1 and I was, in theory, going to do the more hands on stuff with her from 1-2 or so. Then after naps, there was snack and then by 4 we were back outside for another hour or hour and a half.

but that's just not working. Her attention gets too fragmented after that outside break and I NEED that time during nap to attend to other things and other people, and recharge my own batteries.

I'm looking at dropping or drastically reducing the morning outside time to try and finish all of the school work in the morning...but I am worrying about reducing the outside time.

Any ideas?
Well, you gotta do what yu gotta do. So, if changing morning outsidetime works for you, then do it. As long as they are still getting e afternoon outside time I wouldn't worry about it. At least thats my thoughts.
momofboys 06:54 AM 10-02-2013

Any ideas?
What time do your kids get dropped off in the morning? Can she do the work at 9:30-10:30 on her own without your guidance? I personally would try to move the other kids' nap up a little, possibly cut your morning outdoor time by 15 min so the kids can get down for p.m. naps 15 min earlier. They would still be outdoors for an hour. Not sure if that would help you accomplish much but every minute counts.
SilverSabre25 06:57 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
What time do your kids get dropped off in the morning? Can she do the work at 9:30-10:30 on her own without your guidance? I personally would try to move the other kids' nap up a little, possibly cut your morning outdoor time by 15 min so the kids can get down for p.m. naps 15 min earlier. They would still be outdoors for an hour. Not sure if that would help you accomplish much but every minute counts.
No, she's only in first grade, and only 5 (six at the end of the month). she still needs a fair amount of guidance (mostly reading instructions and explaining lessons...this stuff is handwriting, language arts, and math). It's the more hands on stuff of literature, history, and science that's getting missed because I intended on having one-on-one time with her.

I just feel bad about cutting that outside time....but between the homeschooling, our new dog, and a dcb getting picked up for preschool, I just feel like outside is getting more difficult to manage.
Cradle2crayons 06:59 AM 10-02-2013
No, she's only in first grade, and only 5 (six at the end of the month). she still needs a fair amount of guidance (mostly reading instructions and explaining lessons...this stuff is handwriting, language arts, and math). It's the more hands on stuff of literature, history, and science that's getting missed because I intended on having one-on-one time with her.

I just feel bad about cutting that outside time....but between the homeschooling, our new dog, and a dcb getting picked up for preschool, I just feel like outside is getting more difficult to manage.
How many hours and days a week do you need to get everything accomplished?? We only did 2-3 hours a day, Monday through Thursday
SilverSabre25 07:02 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
How many hours and days a week do you need to get everything accomplished?? We only did 2-3 hours a day, Monday through Thursday
I don't know :P I've not managed to accomplish everything ever! Okay we've only been at this since mid august...but still....
momofboys 07:05 AM 10-02-2013
Don't feel guilty about cutting morning outdoor time! You have to do what is important for your family, Silver! If it was me I would cut it by 30 min if it meant it would make it easier to help my child in the afternoon. The DC kids aren't getting a raw deal - they would still be outside 45 min.
momofsix 07:05 AM 10-02-2013
How about just bringing some schoolwork outside for her?
butterfly 07:10 AM 10-02-2013
I do NOT homeschool. I have so much respect for someone that can do it AND daycare! You are amazing!

My outside time naturally gets cut down this time of year as it gets cooler. We tend to do less and less outdoor time and eventually outdoor time comes only in the afternoon when it's the warmest.

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about cutting the outdoor time down in your situation (I already do, without all the responsibility that you have!).

I often replace outdoor time with structured activities. We'll do table activities for part of the time and often we'll clear all the toys from the floor and create obstacle courses so they can still burn some energy and get the gross motor skills.

You're amazing!
SilverSabre25 07:10 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
How about just bringing some schoolwork outside for her?
She wants to play. Or can't focus. Or a toddler drops dirt on her book. Or the table had a spider on it. Or the sun is too bright. Or she's cold. Or she wants to go back in to do her work (and ends up watching TV/playing Minecraft instead) (Yes that last one got her in biiiig trouble).

In other words, that's the obvious answer, and i tried.
SilverSabre25 07:14 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I do NOT homeschool. I have so much respect for someone that can do it AND daycare! You are amazing!

My outside time naturally gets cut down this time of year as it gets cooler. We tend to do less and less outdoor time and eventually outdoor time comes only in the afternoon when it's the warmest.

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about cutting the outdoor time down in your situation (I already do, without all the responsibility that you have!).

I often replace outdoor time with structured activities. We'll do table activities for part of the time and often we'll clear all the toys from the floor and create obstacle courses so they can still burn some energy and get the gross motor skills.

You're amazing!
Aww, thanks! I don't usually feel amazing. I usually feel overworked and pulled in 34 different directions.

I was wondering about outside time dropping naturally. Ours hasn't needed to yet because it's still warm, but that's a good point that it will eventually.

Originally Posted by momofboys:
Don't feel guilty about cutting morning outdoor time! You have to do what is important for your family, Silver! If it was me I would cut it by 30 min if it meant it would make it easier to help my child in the afternoon. The DC kids aren't getting a raw deal - they would still be outside 45 min.
Thank you that perspective helps. I was just looking at how much I was chopping off, not how much was still left.
Maria2013 07:46 AM 10-02-2013

Any ideas?
this year I tried cyber schooling 2 of my kids(what a nightmare) after 3 weeks they begged me to send them back to regular school and I was glad they changed their min,d cause even though they had teachers my husband and I did all the work, (the teachers just handed over the curriculum)
we felt we were doing school lessons or plans every single day of the week into late hours, it was stressful for everyone, I imagine homeschooling is a lot of work but if one is free to pick their own curriculum maybe it can be organized better than cyber school, I know some providers on here will have great advises for you
good luck
kathiemarie 07:49 AM 10-02-2013
Can you do school work after the kids get picked up? I don't know anything about homeschooling but maybe that might work? While your making dinner or cleaning up she can sit at the table and you can be there for her but still get your evening things done. Just a thought.
countrymom 08:16 AM 10-02-2013
Maybe spread the lessons out. Like for math spend a half our, then do something else, reading could be done at bedtime, science outside. Don't worry about the dcks not going outside that's why they have parents
Cradle2crayons 09:20 AM 10-02-2013
I don't know :P I've not managed to accomplish everything ever! Okay we've only been at this since mid august...but still....
Ok. Don't panic.

Tis is what I used to do. Mainly because my daughter is severely abbreviated.

I sat down every weekend and prepared what needed to be done every week related to homeschool.

I knew exactly before Monday came how much time each day was needed.

Come Monday morning, everything for that day was laid out.

I set daily goals. Every morning at breakfast, I would go over on the white board what had to be accomplished that day so that she was aware and I was aware.

Then I broke up the day and the stack of work.

My daughter couldn't focus on doing all of her work at one time, at least not at first.

So, we did the most focused things FIRST. which, in our case, was math.

Once we accomplished our math goals, we did outside time, morning snack etc.

Then, during nap time, the ones who weren't napping did a quiet activity while I did the next goals with daughter. In our case that was reading, language arts.

Then, in the afternoon, sometimes even during outside time, we did science. Sometimes I even made it a group activity.

By the time afternoon snack came around we were done for the day and our goals were met.

Some days, those goals were met early, depending on what needed to be done that particular day.

If yu don't start e day known exactly what needs to be done... You are going to stress all day... Then the next day the stress starts all over.

It also really helped her see the goals and see her progress.

I think a lot of time, homeschooling parents think they have to do X hours each day to be successful. But every child is different and some kids accomplish much more with three very small sessions per day.

When I split it up, we accomplished all her goals plus more, every day, in rarely over 2 hours total during that age group.
itlw8 10:18 AM 10-02-2013
What about weekends. It would be quieter and no distractions to do those other than basic things
Meyou 10:48 AM 10-02-2013
I was going to suggest a couple of weekend sessions as well. You can get alot accomplished in a short amount of time with no distractions.
Meyou 10:50 AM 10-02-2013
You could also consider an inside morning a couple of times per week to focus on her schoolwork and extra outside time on other days to make up for it. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

We don't go outside on Tues morning for example because we have music class, a craft, a dance party and a group snack with our music friends so fitting outside in too was killing me. The kids haven't missed it since I changed it up and the parents didn't care at all.
cheerfuldom 11:55 AM 10-02-2013
this is what I was running into when I considered homeschooling my kinder girl this year. plus I have three to four daycare kids, and three other bio kids with one being special needs. needless to say, i just could not make it work. really the only thing I can think of is to do more work on the evenings and weekends. or i would start revamping the daycare for preschool aged kids only 2-5 years old and get everyone on the same schedule. that one baby can really change your daily schedule.
Angelsj 12:00 PM 10-02-2013

Take this for what you can get out of it...but I have been doing this for about 26 years, both daycare and homeschooling, so it is possible.
You are teaching a very young child. Reading and some form of math...important.
Everything else, less important, and honestly, really not overly necessary.

Science can be done with everyone around, and outside if needed. At 5 or 6, I would do experiments, kids books or simple ideas. Plant some seeds, watch them grow, take them apart and talk about the parts. Where are the leaves, stems and roots? Also once or twice a week is more than fine.

History. Movies, dvds, reading books before bed, or even the stories you read to the daycare kids. Check out these books to fit whatever you want to study. That series literally has hundreds of books relating to science and history. I am sure your local library has them, though I have purchased dozens over the years. Again, get a time you want to study and do it casually. Read to her outside, or at bedtime (later, she can read to you) and again, two to three times a week...plenty at this age.

With that going on, you have TONS of literature happening, and add a bit of writing (copy work is fine) and you have enough language arts. She really doesn't need to know what a noun is just yet. She needs to hear lots and lots of them being used in context, with lots of verbs and adjectives thrown in. Formal grammar can come later.

My point is that you are wanting to do a LOT for such a little one. It just isn't necessary. Reading and math. Everything else will come. Just don't forget about living books, or that you have the whole day.
We have been know to experiment late at night, or after supper (or during supper lol.) We read classic literature before bed, and often books that are above a level they can read for themselves. One of my dd's favorite authors at the age of six was Oscar Wilde. If they hear good literature often, they will learn proper English later without a sweat.

Sorry, that is probably more than you wanted to know. Feel free to PM me if you like.
spinnymarie 12:13 PM 10-02-2013
Ok I had a huge thing written up, but it was way too long.
As a former K teacher, I had the kids doing a lot of independent work after a mini-lesson.
With your daughter, I'd try to break it up into small 20-min blocks throughout the day: you sit down with her for 5 minutes, teach something basic, and let her practice it.
I'd also try to do a project together before breakfast in the morning.
So right after breakfast you could do a quick talk about a math game where she rolls a dice, writes the numeral she rolled and then draws/counts that many items (and more complicated for whatever she's working on).
Can you get all the kids to do some calendar-style math together? We do it everyday, my 18m DD is probably the most enthusiastic about it Just something short! We watch some you-tube videos and sing songs about counting, etc.
Then at the end of the day before bed you guys coudl read together and then she could journal about her day -- IMO writing is just as important as reading at this level
HTH!
jenn 01:44 PM 10-02-2013
I am experimenting with schedule too. What is working (right now, may change tomorrow)... I do calendar activities as a whole group. My daughter does the actual pointing, adding days/numbers,...the other are watching. Sure, the little ones don't "get it", but exposure never hurts, and they like the songs. Read aloud/story time happens as a group. Again, the book level is focused at my daughter's level, so it is above most my DCK, but hearing a story never hurts. My daughter goes on to do a more detailed project about the book, and the daycare kids (that are old enough) do a simple project about the book. Example, today we read about a scarecrow. My daughter did a math page and writing page about the book and the DCK's colored a scarecrow.
I will admit my DCK's do less open ended projects and do more color page type activities now. I think of my daycare as more play based now, and less preschool. They do activities as I have time. My daughter/homeschool is the priority schedule wise. If my daughter is focused and the kids are occupied, I will skip morning outside and keep doing schoolwork. We just do a longer afternoon outside time. The kids are well cared for, get plenty of attention, and have all of their needs met. They are happy and love being here. I don't think homeschooling has changed the level of care they receive, it has just changed the way the day looks.
Tags:homeschool, provider children, schedule conflict
Reply Up