Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What are Your Policies for Teachers Kids?
legomom922 05:33 AM 08-25-2010
I have an interview with one, and wanted to know how everyone handles school breaks, snow days summer vacations etc. I need to come up with a policy for this quick & add it to my handbook!
Jewels 05:58 AM 08-25-2010
I think most work this like a maternity leave, Requiring in the summer that they still pay for a couple days or part time, to continue their spot, Which most are probably okay with, To have a couple days to themselves. I haven't ran into it yet, But I think I would ask for at least 2 days a week, to hold the spot.
MommyD 06:43 AM 08-25-2010
I may be more strict than most, but I only do infant/toddler so I do not have the option of enrolling a SA for just the summer. This is the only income I have and I depend on it to pay the bills. The following is what my policy states:

Originally Posted by :
School Year* $8,840/year

*School year pricing is based on your child’s space being held for the entire summer and allowing you to bring your child with one day’s notice (in case any outings have been planned) during that time, up to your child’s contracted weekly hours per week. It can be paid through the full year ($170/week) or through the school year (40 weeks of payments at $220/week). If you do not want your space held for the entire summer, you may sign a contract that will have an end date and pay the regular tuition. We will actively be enrolling a child for the space available at the end of your contract term, summer or full year. If that space has not been filled by the time you need care, you will have priority. This policy is necessary in order for us to meet our financial commitments.
If you guys think this is a little too tough, let me know, I wasn't sure how to do it either and this is what I came up with.
tenderhearts 06:43 AM 08-25-2010
In my contract if a snow day falls on any scheduled day they still pay for it. As far as summers for teachers, in my contract it also states they will pay a certain amount to "hold" their spot but for me it's not a huge deal so if I know the family and they arent' going to screw me later, have me hold their spot for summer then not return, I don't charge anything, however the teachers family I have they don't pay anything to hold their spot but if they call me during summer and want to use me a day here or there they do pay the drop in rate and they are fine with that.
Unregistered 11:56 AM 08-25-2010
I had a daycare parent who was a teacher with one child I still charged when they had Winter breaks, Spring break, and Holidays but I did not charge for the Summer I just charged a 2 week non refundable fee just so I knew she was coming back next year and then the 2 week fee went towards the first 2 weeks the child was back she was one of the best parents I had she paid on time, picked up right after school was out, and I had a break every Summer wish I could have all my parents be teachers.
legomom922 12:15 PM 08-25-2010
Ok, so what I decided to do is if they want me to hold the spot, they can have a summer contract for 2 days and bring their infant to have mommy daddy time, or pay $50 a wk. They chose the 2 day min.

I also told them during breaks, they have to pay 50% of their contracted amount, 100% for snow days and national holidays such as vetrens day, etc.

Is that fair?
ninosqueridos 07:22 PM 08-25-2010
So are you planning on keeping their school calendar on hand and following all the million school holidays, etc for the year in order to keep track of charges? That would drive me nuts, personally. My teachers pay regular rate for the whole school year regardless of when school is open. For the summer, I require 3 days/week min and that's what they choose to do. They're awesome parents and understand full well that I cannot have a fluctuating income week to week. They even suggested I add personal days for myself to my policies.
ninosqueridos 07:25 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Ok, so what I decided to do is if they want me to hold the spot, they can have a summer contract for 2 days and bring their infant to have mommy daddy time, or pay $50 a wk. They chose the 2 day min.

I also told them during breaks, they have to pay 50% of their contracted amount, 100% for snow days and national holidays such as vetrens day, etc.

Is that fair?
You would have to also figure out what is a "break" and what is a "holiday" so you get paid properly. Depending on who you talk to, you could consider the break in December either "Christmas break" or "winter break"...which would change their payment to you depending on the day.........just sorta playing devil's advocate because you never know people...
legomom922 04:22 AM 08-26-2010
Yes, I will have to keep track of the school holidays, because if I don't, I don't want to cheat myself out of a days pay either. KWIM? If school is not in session, and the child is not here, I will have to charge them for that day. Does that make sense?

And yes, Christmas, break, Winter break & spring break will be the only 3 full wks they will have to pay 50%. All the other school holidays, snow days etc, will be at full rate.
Tags:provider children, teacher's children
Reply Up