Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trial Day?
CityGarden 09:32 AM 02-09-2018
I had a tour with a family I really like. It was one of the most natural tours.... even though the parents asked good questions about me and the program it just felt easy but I did not know if they would enroll becuase they could easily place their son in a larger preschool a little closer to their home.

Well dcm sent a email saying she loved meeting with me and asked if I would be open to a trial day..... I do not have a two week trial and no one has asked for a trial in the past. I see the value in it but have some questions.

Could they really get a feel for the program or their son's reaction to the program in a day?

Do I charge them my daily rate for the day? (I do have a daily rate for currently enrolling students who need to add an extra day).

Is it worth doing all the paperwork for a one day trial?

Should the trial be 1/2 day or full day and include nap time? (Parents in my program provide nap mats that they purchase.)

Any other insight or advice you can offer?

FYI - I have not added a 2 week trial because 1) I had not thought about it prior to threads on here after I already established a intake process I was happy with and 2) I have a pretty good intake process, detailed application, tour and family interview, I offer them a home visit by the teacher, etc. so from that I have been able to see if I could work with their child...

Random side note/question: Potential DCM said potential dcb takes a 3 hour nap and seemed like she was happy/fine with that and she says he is also a good sleeper at night. Right now my nap time is 2 hours I can handle his 3 hours nap IF he is an easy napper to lay down but would you or would you encourage him to just do the 2 hours?
Homebody 10:12 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I had a tour with a family I really like. It was one of the most natural tours.... even though the parents asked good questions about me and the program it just felt easy but I did not know if they would enroll becuase they could easily place their son in a larger preschool a little closer to their home.

Well dcm sent a email saying she loved meeting with me and asked if I would be open to a trial day..... I do not have a two week trial and no one has asked for a trial in the past. I see the value in it but have some questions.

Could they really get a feel for the program or their son's reaction to the program in a day?

Do I charge them my daily rate for the day? (I do have a daily rate for currently enrolling students who need to add an extra day).

Should the trial be 1/2 day or full day and include nap time? (Parents in my program provide nap mats that they purchase.)

FYI - I have not added a 2 week trial because 1) I had not thought about it prior to threads on here after I already established a intake process I was happy with and 2) I have a pretty good intake process, detailed application, tour and family interview, I offer them a home visit by the teacher, etc. so from that I have been able to see if I could work with their child...

Random side note/question: Potential DCM said potential dcb takes a 3 hour nap and seemed like she was happy/fine with that and she says he is also a good sleeper at night. Right now my nap time is 2 hours I can handle his 3 hours nap IF he is an easy napper to lay down but would you or would you encourage him to just do the 2 hours?
Since they seem like they would be a good fit, I would let them have the trial day at your daily rate. If they can provide a sleep mat, then let him come the full day. Maybe try to encourage them to let him come for a full week to get a better feel for your program.
MomBoss 10:38 AM 02-09-2018
Depending on licensing, i still think you would need to have all paperwork. Imagine if licensing dropped in and saw a child that didnt have all forms filled out...i would think you would get written up. I do not do a trial day. Unless the parent was there the entire time, how would they know it was a good fit/day for the child. I do a 30 day trial period in which either party can terminate contract without a notice. This would be more time for both of you to decide if its a good fit. It took two weeks for a child I enrolled to stop screaming all day. If i would have just had 1 trial day, i would never have found out what a great little girl she is! After two weeks of screaming, she suddenly stopped one day and was a joy.
amberrose3dg 10:54 AM 02-09-2018

I am not sure one day is really enough to see if it is a good fit. I know paperwork would have to be done. I think maybe offer them your standard trial period and explain they can withdraw anytime during that period? The child's first day could go great or terrible. There is an adjustment period for all kids I think.
CityGarden 11:06 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Depending on licensing, i still think you would need to have all paperwork. Imagine if licensing dropped in and saw a child that didnt have all forms filled out...i would think you would get written up. I do not do a trial day. Unless the parent was there the entire time, how would they know it was a good fit/day for the child. I do a 30 day trial period in which either party can terminate contract without a notice. This would be more time for both of you to decide if its a good fit. It took two weeks for a child I enrolled to stop screaming all day. If i would have just had 1 trial day, i would never have found out what a great little girl she is! After two weeks of screaming, she suddenly stopped one day and was a joy.
Yes all the paperwork would need to be done.... which is a mail reason one day seems silly for all the paperwork.

Originally Posted by Homebody:
Since they seem like they would be a good fit, I would let them have the trial day at your daily rate. If they can provide a sleep mat, then let him come the full day. Maybe try to encourage them to let him come for a full week to get a better feel for your program.
Offering the day but encouraging a week seems like a happy medium. Maybe I will try that.

Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I am not sure one day is really enough to see if it is a good fit. I know paperwork would have to be done. I think maybe offer them your standard trial period and explain they can withdraw anytime during that period? The child's first day could go great or terrible. There is an adjustment period for all kids I think.
I do not have a standard trial which is why I don't know how to handle it. I do think one day is tough to "see".... then again maybe it is just mom wanting a chance to see kids here because I do tours after program hours which could be very different from a parent view...
Unregistered 06:20 PM 02-09-2018
...then again maybe it is just mom wanting a chance to see kids here because I do tours after program hours which could be very different from a parent view...
Or parent wants to let child decide.
284878 04:38 AM 02-10-2018
She maybe looking for just one day of care, you never know.

1. you pick the day, or give her an option of up to three days
2. You set the time window, I would recommend an after opening (or some time after most families arrive) til just after lunch but before nap.
4. Charge her 50% or more of regular rate
3. Do a contact for the day and have her pay at that time with no refunds
4. Complete all paperwork before to the day
CityGarden 08:24 AM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
She maybe looking for just one day of care, you never know.

1. you pick the day, or give her an option of up to three days
2. You set the time window, I would recommend an after opening (or some time after most families arrive) til just after lunch but before nap.
4. Charge her 50% or more of regular rate
3. Do a contact for the day and have her pay at that time with no refunds
4. Complete all paperwork before to the day
She is not just looking for the day... they moved across country I met her husband, mom and infant. I do like all the other points though.
CityGarden 08:26 AM 02-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Or parent wants to let child decide.
That is a scary thought..... the child is not very verbal yet.
Ariana 06:26 AM 02-11-2018
Absolutely not. They either want to enrol or not. I would firmly let them know that a trial day is not going to make any difference because it takes kids many weeks to integrate into care. I would offer her a 6 week trial period where they are free to withdraw without notice or you are free to terminate without notice. This is what I currently offer to families.
CityGarden 12:18 PM 02-12-2018
I really like the family so I offered them the trial day at my daily rate and said the fee could apply to the tuition should they decide to enroll.

I am sure this is not something I would do often but decided to do it this time. They seem pretty committed but nervous of letting go since they have never done any sort of care in the past.
mamamanda 12:22 PM 02-12-2018
I really like the family so I offered them the trial day at my daily rate and said the fee could apply to the tuition should they decide to enroll.

I am sure this is not something I would do often but decided to do it this time. They seem pretty committed but nervous of letting go since they have never done any sort of care in the past.
Hope all goes well! I think when it feels good in your gut then it usually works out well. Best of luck!!
CityGarden 12:00 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Hope all goes well! I think when it feels good in your gut then it usually works out well. Best of luck!!
Thanks the little boy is here today and it has been such a pleasant transition. Mom was here less than 15 minutes to drop off, no tears, had all his things, he listens so I can tell he has rules/boundaries at home, he tested me (not wanting me to change his diaper) but we easily resolved that, we walking to the park with the group and he did well there. I was not really wanting to add another boy because my program is boy heavy BUT he is a gem!

Random but he sucks his thumb which is an anoyance of mine but all things considered if that is my worst issue.... I will tolerate it. I did think of one more --- he will be my only on not potty trained in the group but hopefully by all the others being trained he will show an interest IF they enroll.
happymom 02:37 PM 02-13-2018
I'm glad it went really well! Fingers crossed for you that it continues, it sounds like it will!
CityGarden 11:22 PM 02-13-2018
It went really well. They shared their desire to enroll at pick up and want to start tomorrow.

I am glad I took this leap of faith and granted them the trial.
Tags:tours, trial period
Reply Up