Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Meal Counts, Standard Deduction, And My Own Child
SilverSabre25 05:28 PM 01-02-2011
Who can tell that I'm working on my taxes?

Sooo...I'm not on the Federal Food Program--would if I could but I can't. I have a three year old daughter who eats all the meals and snacks with us. Do I get to count her in the meals I serve, or not, for purposes of using the standard food deduction (if that's what it's called) from the government?
KEG123 05:48 PM 01-02-2011
As far as I recall, no. Because she is your child, you are feeding her.
Abigail 06:38 PM 01-02-2011
Why can't you be on the food program?

You may not include ANY meals that you serve to your chidren in the standard meal allowance. You may only use the standard meal allowance rate for meals that you serve to a child you are paid to provide care for and are not legally responsible for raising that child.
SilverSabre25 06:44 PM 01-02-2011
Thank you, I wasn't sure.

I thought the program was only for licensed providers, and I'm not (and can't be in my state/county). If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear about it...
Abigail 08:38 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I thought the program was only for licensed providers, and I'm not (and can't be in my state/county). If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear about it...
You can be registered and still participate in the food program. Is it something specific why you can't be licensed or do you only want to be on the food program but don't think you can? I'm confusing myself, lol.
Pammie 03:06 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

In Ohio, you just have to be registered with a sponsoring organization to get on the food program. As you're in Franklin County, like me - our sponsor is Action for Children. You can go through the registration process, and once complete, get onto the food program. In Franklin Co. there is no official "licensing" for Type B daycare homes (#6 children or less at a time) and Franklin Co does not license for Type A daycare homes - while some other Ohio counties do.

I've always been told that I couldn't claim my own children in my food expenses on my daycare taxes.

Hope this helps!
SilverSabre25 05:15 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
In Ohio, you just have to be registered with a sponsoring organization to get on the food program. As you're in Franklin County, like me - our sponsor is Action for Children. You can go through the registration process, and once complete, get onto the food program. In Franklin Co. there is no official "licensing" for Type B daycare homes (#6 children or less at a time) and Franklin Co does not license for Type A daycare homes - while some other Ohio counties do.

I've always been told that I couldn't claim my own children in my food expenses on my daycare taxes.

Hope this helps!
Thank you Pammie; that's what I meant. I do know about Action for Children and have not yet decided to get registered.
TomCopeland 10:08 AM 01-03-2011
Since the child care regulations vary greatly from state to state, it's always a good idea to check with your local CCR&R to find out about when you are eligible for the Food Program. In some states only licensed providers can be on the Food Program. In other states, licensed exempt providers are also eligible. There is a trend of more states allowing license-exempt providers to be on the Food Program. Since you are always better off financially if you are on the Food Program it pays to check this out.
Tags:food program, taxes owed
Reply Up