Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Social Security Number Issue
momofboys 04:10 PM 12-18-2012
I have given out my social security number to many parents with no issues in prior years. This year I termed a family who was quite angry at me for terming and I know they still harbor ill will toward me as I see one of them on a regular basis at preschool dropoff and they always ignore me, LOL. I do not under any circumstances wish to give them my social sec # but I also do not want to go through the trouble of getting an EIN #. I am afraid iT will mess up our taxes and make them complicated, I do our taxes online. Through turbotax so I don't want to mess things up. Do I have any other options??
Blackcat31 04:37 PM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I have given out my social security number to many parents with no issues in prior years. This year I termed a family who was quite angry at me for terming and I know they still harbor ill will toward me as I see one of them on a regular basis at preschool dropoff and they always ignore me, LOL. I do not under any circumstances wish to give them my social sec # but I also do not want to go through the trouble of getting an EIN #. I am afraid iT will mess up our taxes and make them complicated, I do our taxes online. Through turbotax so I don't want to mess things up. Do I have any other options??
Get the EIN. There really is no hassle involved. You can go directly to the IRS website and do it. No special skills required.

When you apply for one using their online application, you receive your number immediatley following completion of the app.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-...r-(EIN)-Online

Scroll to the bottom where it says "Apply On-line Now"
nanglgrl 04:42 PM 12-18-2012
Blackcat is correct. I also do my taxes online and it is no biggie it will ask you for an EIN or SS #. Your EIN in linked to your SS#.
lovemykidstoo 05:33 PM 12-18-2012
I have been thinking of getting an EIN. What is needed to do that? Do you need a business name? I don't have a DBA or anything.
kitykids3 07:13 PM 12-18-2012
Yeah, get the EIN. It really is no hassle and it saves you from worrying about your SSN floating out there even more. Nowadays with even more identity theft, you don't want to be giving it out more than necessary. I have had an EIN since I opened and love the peace of mind from having it to give out rather than my SSN on the w-10's.
momofboys 08:37 PM 12-18-2012
So it does not matter that I don't have a "business name"?
nanglgrl 10:02 PM 12-18-2012
No, you don't need a business name to get an EIN.
momofboys 05:17 AM 12-19-2012
Thank you, I will be filling out the online form today!
itlw8 06:50 AM 12-19-2012
I agree it is easy, free , and fast an no it will not mess up your taxes.

You are a sole propritor and the reason you need it is privacy and mark no employees
TomCopeland 01:35 PM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have been thinking of getting an EIN. What is needed to do that? Do you need a business name? I don't have a DBA or anything.
You don't need a business name to get an EIN. Go to www.irs.gov to get your EIN.
lovemykidstoo 02:23 PM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You don't need a business name to get an EIN. Go to www.irs.gov to get your EIN.
Thanks. I ended up going to the site and getting an EIN a few days ago. Thanks!!
Tags:ein, social security number, tom copeland
Reply Up